“Fine for us”

The Queens Hotel, Newport
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Having not read the reviews before booking and read them after we were a little concerned but everything was fine.
It's a Wetherspoons so we expect some noise and on arrival were told that Friday and Saturdays are DJ nights so we could hear noise, but to honest it was fine.
Ok you can hear people shouting and stuff but no more than you would expect, perhaps we were lucky? I don't know. But staff were great very helpful about parking
Wifi good mobile signal good
On the whole we would stay again no problems. Thanks for the welcome :). Ohh and the breakfast is cheap and good...unlike many others

Room Tip: Room 11 has a very dark bathroom, light is awful. Would stop in it again though.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Andrew T,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us an di hope to see you again some time in the future

Regards

Queens Hotel

There are newer reviews for The Queens Hotel, Newport

Reviewed 4 May 2014

stayed hear for one night. ideal location. breakfast next door in the pub section for the money is very good. but the cleaners don't seam to work on Sunday mornings as the floor was full of old scraps of food !! Bedrooms are very dark and dismal and in need of some TLC. I see from the managers response from another review they are due a refurbishment. well the sooner the better. as for the room keys not working. sorry but when you spend 10 minutes trying to find your room carrying baggage only to find out your key card doesn't work !! is not acceptable and frustrating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Good Morning StevieWigan,

I am sorry to hear you were not entirely happy with your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the bar regarding the cleaners and action has been taken so this mistake doesn’t happen again, regarding your room keys we do ask guests to keep them separate from there credit/debit cards and mobiles phones as this does wipe the data from them, I understand that that is not always possible and I’m sorry with your frustration. As for the refurbishment, we are hoping to get it within the next financial year.

Queens Hotel

Reviewed 25 April 2014

2 nights no sleep,bar below rooms so noisey,pubic hair in shower,and bed.key cards don't work ,staff very ignorant,food in the bar awfull,cold and greasey.do not give them your credit card details,my 2 night stay has cost me 276 pounds ,legal proceedings will be commenced on Monday.do your self a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at this Hotel for one night for a business trip to Newport and first impressions were quire good. It was in a good location easily accessable from the station and where my meeting was. The room was clean and for a budget hotel well appointed. I went to bed fairly earl in the hope of getting a good nights sleep after a long train journey but was to be disapointed.
I could cope with the soundproofing between rooms not being great and the creaking floorboards but I was woken early hours of the morning by a dreadful droneing noise. I assumed there was a compressor outside and some roadworks were going on so could not blame the Hotel. However when I went down for breakfast I discovered that there was a deep clean of the carpets in the bar going on showing little care for Hotel guests. Now I realise this has to be done at some time but some warning could have been given. The Hotel was booked fairly close to my stay so they would almost certainly been aware that this work was planned so although other guests are unlikely to suffer this it does show that the Hotel does not seem to be a high priority.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear petekc-59

Thank you for taking the time to post you your review regarding you stay with us here at The Queen’s Hotel. I would like to apologise for the disturbance you had during your stay, normally we would warn all guests when we are due a carpet clean in the pub. On this occasion, the Pub or Hotel was not aware that the carpet cleaners were coming. Once again, I would like to apologise for the Inconvenience caused if you would like to contact me to discus any problems please call 01633844900 where I will happily answer any questions you may have.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We loved this hotel! Based on other reviews and given its inner city location we expected it to be noisy, but it wasn't. It was surprisingly quiet and we had a great, undisturbed night's sleep (admittedly it was a Monday). Our room was warm, clean and comfortable with little extras like biscuits and bottled water. Yes, the floorboards creak and the corridors are a maze, but the hotel was built in the 1860s and these quirks just add to its character. It has mod cons like free wifi and a flat screen TV with a good selection of channels. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the pub downstairs serves nice food at very reasonable prices. I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dianne H

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us here at The Queen’s Hotel, i am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Away on a business trip. Nice pub, average rooms. clean but need a little modernising. very annoying problem is my room is at the front of the pub (facing the town centre), only has single glazing (it's a lloyds bar too plus the actual pub downstairs has double glazing!) no blind (has brackets for it) so have to keep curtains closed continuously for any privacy, and the room is very hot! How are you meant to not be woken up when kicking out is at 1am and deliveries come in at 6am! not ideal. i understand its a listed building but if downstairs is double glazed then why isnt the hotel rooms done?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear redletterprincesss

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay here at The Queen’s Hotel. The hotel is due a refurbish but we are unsure when we will get this. Being a city centre hotel/pub, we are limited on the times we can receive our deliveries I would like to apologise for any Inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I rarely write a review but I can't keep this to myself. Yes it's cheap but you'll understand why if you make the mistake of staying here.

If you want sleep, forget it! Lumpy beds, pillows are like tracing paper. Disgusting mouldy windows which are single glazed which means you can hear everything. Yes I'm aware it's a city centre hotel and noise is to be expected. But it wasn't your usual noise of people having a few drinks. It was full on anti social behaviour. I sat up watching fights because sleep wasn't an option.

Ok, to be fair this isn't the hotels fault... but the noise of the deliverys is. Once the anti social behaviour stops at about 3am thats when the hotel takes all its deliveries. From about 3am to 6am all you can hear is barrels being rolled and slammed around and the lift going up and down. Non stop all night I cant stress this enough.

I'm always skeptical about reading bad reviews before I stay somewhere, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make the same mistake as I did. Stay at the travelodge directly accross the road. It's just as cheap and you'll get at least some sleep as they have double glazing.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends