“Great value hotel”

Holiday Inn Newport
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 7 October 2013

After leaving it way too late to get a hotel in Cardiff on the weekend of the half marathon and reading the poor reviews this hotel had I very reluctantly booked us 2 rooms as a last resort. I have to say that I was completely wrong and very pleasantly surprised. The hotel, although yes set close to the road, is surrounded by beautiful mature trees, well kept and tidy. We found all of the communal areas to be clean and inviting and the staff friendly and helpful. Our rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed with lovely new bathrooms and all the complimentary bits and bobs you would expect. Breakfast was also good, basic, but plentiful and lots of choice. The coffee was great! Ok so this isn't the Ritz Carlton but for £65 for a double inc breakfast I don't know what people are complaining about. I would have no hesitation in staying here again and when you compare it against the £299 per night charge to stay at the holiday Inn in the centre of Cardiff I know which I would choose! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review in regard to your recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that enjoyed your stay over the Cardiff Half Marathon weekend and if you were taking part I trust you are now fully recovered.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back again should you return next year

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Newport

Reviewed 4 October 2013

When you are advised you have been upgraded normally the reaction should be happy but here it is the reverse as they upgrade you but are actually not doing you any favors. Reason I say this is the hotel was refurbished t about a year ago and the standard rooms are now very nice and modern (I have stayed many times) whereas the execs have been left in the 1970's and are very poor. I thought as I had not been here for around a year that maybe they had been done so took the upgrade only to be badly let down. The rest of the hotel is also in need of a bit of work but is acceptable. My only other gripe is getting in and out by car because if you miss the turn from the incredibly busy roundabout it is a mare.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on line following your recent visit.

I was pleased to note that you found our refurbished standard rooms to be of good quality and note your concerns on the decor of some of our executive rooms. Although of no consolation to you we are currently working our way through a programme to modernise them.

Thank you for your custom and bringing the matter to my attention.

Dermot Keegan – General Manager

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed one night for local conference arrived but room not ready at 4pm! Rooms clean but very tired shower head dirty and leaked badly bed nice and comfortable with a choice of pillows. In general staff seem very disorganised and demotivated in their work breakfast was a bit sham logic with no one person seeming to be in charge in the restaurant ensuring tables occupied correctly and food replenished so guests kept having to ask for breakfast items this was after we had problems getting breakfast as the lady informed us we had to pay for breakfast when it had been included in the booking eventually she checked and found it was included their paperwork was incorrect but we were made to feel like we were trying to get something for nothing. Upon checkout more problems with paperwork was asked to pay for room when it was on part of another company booking not requiring payment showed the receptionist who was rude and unhelpful the paperwork to be told I could have just made up the paperwork and it was more than her job was worth to let me check out without paying this was embarrassing and awkward. Fortunately her young colleague was lovely and very helpful took my paperwork and sorted it out with reservations. During this time another guest was having the same problem at reception and being treated in the same appalling manner as I was by the same receptionist.

This hotel needs to improve their customer service to guests and replace some of their very rude and poor staff.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms in two different parts of the hotel both were tired and run down if you h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regard to your recent visit.

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that you did not totally enjoy your stay, in particular in relation to the service you received. I shall review your comments with both managers and colleagues so that we can improve. On a brighter note I was pleased to learn that one of my colleagues demonstrated that we can deliver good service.

Once again please accept my apologies and gratitude for bringing the matter to my attention.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Monday evening having travelled from Leeds some 3 and 3/4 hours. I was greeted with a lovely welcome and my room was well appointed if a little tired and extremely hot. I was on an inclusive dinner rate and when I went down to the restaurant I was shown to my table and handed a single sheet of A4 paper with the evenings menu. I noted that other guests received the A4 sheet and another larg3er menu. The inclusive evening meal was from a cavery, which I thought had been dispensed with for evenings in the early 90s!!

When I went up to the carvery, ratehr than being greeeted with a sumptious choice of dishes, I was greeted with half empty slop swimming in grease. I picked the curry which was definitely the best of an appaling bunch. The rice was over cooked, the curry was greasy and tasetless. Having not enjoyed my starter of main I decided to treat myself to a dessert of Lemon Rouldae. Raw meringue with lemon curd greeted me. Needless to say I left hungry and disappointed.

When asked on checkout whether I had enjoyed my stay I mentioned that the evening meal had let the experience down. I was told by the receptionist that this was strange as they normally receive compliments about the food, and perhaps due to the time I ate (8pm) the offering was not as good. Dinner by the way does not finish until 9.30 so heaven help those that go after 8pm.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

I was pleased to learn that you found my colleagues deliver great service and the hotel was easily accessible. I note your comments on the quality of the evening meal and appreciate the feedback so that we may use it to improve the consistency of the experience.

Thank you for your custom and bringing the matter to my attention.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Nice clean rooms. Staff were very friendly and and helpfull.
Carpets in corridors were a bit grubby. A good choice of breakfast and plenty of it.
As a disabled person iwas disappointed that there was no lift but staff carried up to our room.
Overall nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vernon P
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

I was delighted to learn that enjoyed the service you received from my colleagues though disappointed to note that you were allocated a room that was not on the ground floor.

Once again thank you for your feedback and custom.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I was booked in to this hotel whilst attending a conference at another hotel which was full. My expectations were not very high and I was right! Firstly, we booked in April some months early and were required to pay the full price in advance. Frankly, this hotel is in a good location if you want to be close to the motorway but really has nothing more to recommend it. As it is in a good plot I simply can't understand why it hasn't been demolished and a new hotel built. It has an air of a dodgy US motel in all areas except reception where they have put in a laminate floor in an attempt to smarten it up. Once through the double doors, there is dreadful patterned carpet, long corridors with fire doors and ghastly prints of flowers. When I arrived check in was perfectly pleasant and I was directed through the double doors. Despite being heavily laden, I was not told there was a flight of stairs and several sets of fire doors to negotiate and never offered any help with my bags. The room was relatively well decorated compared to the corridors although quite small especially when I got the ironing board out which was difficult to erect and impossible to put down again. Negotiating round the ironing board in the small room was a feat. There was a tray and kettle although only sachets of coffee (no decaf) and tea and no biscuits. I had to move the whole lot to find a convenient plug for the kettle. The bed was OK if a little on the hard side. The attempt to give me a choice of pillow (hard or soft) was a mixture of entertainment and irritation as there was no difference between them and I had to take off a silly band and label to use it. The bathrooms looked like there had been an upgrade of sorts but I decided that probably panels of tiles had been put over the old tiles which meant the joins were not that effective so it gave the edges a slightly grubby feel. You might think that I had paid a budget price for this hotel but I was charged £120 which did not include breakfast (which came as a surprise) and was apparently at the time of booking a special early rate!

Room Tip: Find a room furthest away from the road to avoid traffic noise. Otherwise, don't choose this ho...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regard to your recent visit.

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that you did not totally enjoy your stay, especially in terms of standard of decor in the public areas. Although of no consolation to you we are currently in the process of refurbishing our older bedroom stock, thereafter we will focus on public areas.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

very very disappointing. it was a good job the lady on reception did not ask how my stay was..but she just produced my bill & sent me on my way. on the plus side the staff v good . attentive & professional. but everything about the place smacks of being tired & therefore displays a sense of being dirty. the carpet in the whole building needs replacing - from public areas to my room (a disgrace) . there was a sense of that the hotel is in desperate need of investment. it looks drab & dreary. the sofa in my room had a gash in the arm & it looks dirty. my dinner was poor, the chips were just yellow & cooked in some distasteful cooking oil. the garnish salad was poor - wet limp lettuce , with 2 small pieces of equally wet pepper & 2 cherry tomatoes halved..it looked pathetic & i did not try it. amazingly the breakfast (your usual help your self cook version) was fantastic. tasty , piping hot (which in rare when produced under these systems) & true revelation.i will try & avoid until such time the owners takes pride in their hotel & decide to put some urgently need money in to it

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

I was pleased to note that you found my colleagues pleasant, helpful and breakfast to your liking. I note your comments on investment and although no consolation to you we are currently modernising our bedroom stock and then will turn our attention to public areas.

Thank you for your custom and bringing the matter to my attention

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
#2 of 2 in Langstone
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Travelodge Newport Central
Hampton by Hilton Newport East

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!