“Quite a nice surprise”

Holiday Inn Newport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We held our works conference at this hotel conveniently located near Newport off the M4 because i was cheap and available. Arriving at the hotel on day 1 I feared it looked a bit grim but once inside was pleasantly surprised by the more than decent standard of the public spaces and the quality of the conference facilities. The food was very good indeed - with a nice vegetarian dish always available and perfectly fine no nonsense south Wales service and cheerfulness. I was a day visitor so cannot comment on the rooms.

Room Tip: I think the side away from the M4 will be quieter - ask for south side
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent conference in the hotel.

I was delighted to learn that my colleagues, the food and service surpassed your initial expectations.

Once again thank you for your feedback and custom and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed here for business and was perfect. Comfy bed, clean and friendly staff. The pool is small but more than adequate. It's only 10 minutes from Newport station and across the road from Celtic manor if you fancy a round of golf.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that my colleagues, cleanliness and even our pool was to your satisfaction.

Once again thank you for your feedback and custom

Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel every week and find it an absolute pleasure ..
I am made to feel very welcome from the moment I walk in until the moment I check out .

The staff are all amazing and would just like to say a very big thank you to all .. Sam Snelling , Sam Williams , Francis , Laura at reception , Wendy , jan , Marylyn on breakfast .
And all the staff that are on evenings in the restaurant . Also the bar staff Simon , Gareth, and Nick ..

This hotel is like a second home to me and I'm very pleased I get to stay there,

I agree that it's a little dated in some rooms but they are clean , comfortable and very tidy

Mr W M

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review in regard to your continued visits.

I was delighted to learn that so many of my colleagues made your stay memorable and your stay comfortable.

Once again thank you for your feedback and custom.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

After leaving it way too late to get a hotel in Cardiff on the weekend of the half marathon and reading the poor reviews this hotel had I very reluctantly booked us 2 rooms as a last resort. I have to say that I was completely wrong and very pleasantly surprised. The hotel, although yes set close to the road, is surrounded by beautiful mature trees, well kept and tidy. We found all of the communal areas to be clean and inviting and the staff friendly and helpful. Our rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed with lovely new bathrooms and all the complimentary bits and bobs you would expect. Breakfast was also good, basic, but plentiful and lots of choice. The coffee was great! Ok so this isn't the Ritz Carlton but for £65 for a double inc breakfast I don't know what people are complaining about. I would have no hesitation in staying here again and when you compare it against the £299 per night charge to stay at the holiday Inn in the centre of Cardiff I know which I would choose! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review in regard to your recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that enjoyed your stay over the Cardiff Half Marathon weekend and if you were taking part I trust you are now fully recovered.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back again should you return next year

Reviewed 4 October 2013

When you are advised you have been upgraded normally the reaction should be happy but here it is the reverse as they upgrade you but are actually not doing you any favors. Reason I say this is the hotel was refurbished t about a year ago and the standard rooms are now very nice and modern (I have stayed many times) whereas the execs have been left in the 1970's and are very poor. I thought as I had not been here for around a year that maybe they had been done so took the upgrade only to be badly let down. The rest of the hotel is also in need of a bit of work but is acceptable. My only other gripe is getting in and out by car because if you miss the turn from the incredibly busy roundabout it is a mare.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on line following your recent visit.

I was pleased to note that you found our refurbished standard rooms to be of good quality and note your concerns on the decor of some of our executive rooms. Although of no consolation to you we are currently working our way through a programme to modernise them.

Thank you for your custom and bringing the matter to my attention.

Dermot Keegan – General Manager

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed one night for local conference arrived but room not ready at 4pm! Rooms clean but very tired shower head dirty and leaked badly bed nice and comfortable with a choice of pillows. In general staff seem very disorganised and demotivated in their work breakfast was a bit sham logic with no one person seeming to be in charge in the restaurant ensuring tables occupied correctly and food replenished so guests kept having to ask for breakfast items this was after we had problems getting breakfast as the lady informed us we had to pay for breakfast when it had been included in the booking eventually she checked and found it was included their paperwork was incorrect but we were made to feel like we were trying to get something for nothing. Upon checkout more problems with paperwork was asked to pay for room when it was on part of another company booking not requiring payment showed the receptionist who was rude and unhelpful the paperwork to be told I could have just made up the paperwork and it was more than her job was worth to let me check out without paying this was embarrassing and awkward. Fortunately her young colleague was lovely and very helpful took my paperwork and sorted it out with reservations. During this time another guest was having the same problem at reception and being treated in the same appalling manner as I was by the same receptionist.

This hotel needs to improve their customer service to guests and replace some of their very rude and poor staff.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms in two different parts of the hotel both were tired and run down if you h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regard to your recent visit.

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that you did not totally enjoy your stay, in particular in relation to the service you received. I shall review your comments with both managers and colleagues so that we can improve. On a brighter note I was pleased to learn that one of my colleagues demonstrated that we can deliver good service.

Once again please accept my apologies and gratitude for bringing the matter to my attention.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Monday evening having travelled from Leeds some 3 and 3/4 hours. I was greeted with a lovely welcome and my room was well appointed if a little tired and extremely hot. I was on an inclusive dinner rate and when I went down to the restaurant I was shown to my table and handed a single sheet of A4 paper with the evenings menu. I noted that other guests received the A4 sheet and another larg3er menu. The inclusive evening meal was from a cavery, which I thought had been dispensed with for evenings in the early 90s!!

When I went up to the carvery, ratehr than being greeeted with a sumptious choice of dishes, I was greeted with half empty slop swimming in grease. I picked the curry which was definitely the best of an appaling bunch. The rice was over cooked, the curry was greasy and tasetless. Having not enjoyed my starter of main I decided to treat myself to a dessert of Lemon Rouldae. Raw meringue with lemon curd greeted me. Needless to say I left hungry and disappointed.

When asked on checkout whether I had enjoyed my stay I mentioned that the evening meal had let the experience down. I was told by the receptionist that this was strange as they normally receive compliments about the food, and perhaps due to the time I ate (8pm) the offering was not as good. Dinner by the way does not finish until 9.30 so heaven help those that go after 8pm.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

I was pleased to learn that you found my colleagues deliver great service and the hotel was easily accessible. I note your comments on the quality of the evening meal and appreciate the feedback so that we may use it to improve the consistency of the experience.

Thank you for your custom and bringing the matter to my attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Holiday Inn Express Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Coldra Court Hotel
Coldra Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Langstone
Travelodge Newport Central
Hampton by Hilton Newport East

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!