“Very disappointing. Not worth the Money”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Celtic Manor. I worked at this hotel for a short time nine years ago and had always promised to take my husband there.
How disappointing it was.
The hotel looks very impressive but I would not rate it 5 star.
Check in was fine and we were shown to our room on the 10th floor. A very nice room overlooking the back of the hotel and very quiet, no noise from the M4.
We were there to attend a 60th birthday party at another golf club in the area.
My husband booked a taxi, through the concierge, to take us to the venue and also then asked him to book a taxi for our return at the end of the evening.
We were duly picked up from the hotel at 7.30, but no taxi came to collect us later that evening. Luckily we were able to call a local taxi firm and were eventually picked up. On returning to the Celtic Manor, my husband went to the concierge desk to check what had happened only to be told there was no record of our request!
Breakfast on both mornings was best described as chaotic. On being shown to our table, the waitress asked if we wanted tea or coffee. The first morning my tea arrived but no coffee for my husband and the second morning neither of us got our beverages until I stopped one of the staff and asked her to bring us tea and coffee. Breakfast is self service, however, given the number of guests eating there, it was very busy and noisy. Not a pleasant experience and not what you expect from a 5 star resort!
Toiletries in the bathroom are minimal, on our second day we ended up with two bottles of shampoo but no shower /bath gel. I rang housekeeping to explain the situation and ask for some shower gel. A very nice young man brought up four bottles, but on further inspection, three of them were shampoo and only one was shower gel. Surely this is very simple housekeeping!
I feel that the personal care and attention to detail has been lost and it now feels like Butlins.
For the prices they charge it fell very short of my expectations, I will not be staying there again..

1  Thank Ann M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,584)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

They really aren't joking when they call this a resort, and I just couldn't believe how big the whole area was! Upon driving into the resort we saw a multi-storey car park with the ridiculous price of £10 parking for the night, but keep on driving past the hotel and back down the hill and there's a free carpark down there with a free shuttle bus to take you back up the hill. Arrival in reception was very impressive, with multiple people approaching to ask if we wanted help with our bag. We've stayed in 5 star hotels before but Celtic Manor do it on a completely different scale, and it was very impressive to see 2 actual trees, a car and a shopping mall in the reception area! We checked in and were shown to our room by a concierge which was really helpful as we'd never have found our way otherwise.

We had a double room with a balcony and it was a lovely size. Not massive but big enough to get around, and with a lovely sitting area too. The bed was humungous and really comfortable too. It was tastefully decorated, and in fitting with the age and style of the rest of the hotel. The marble bathroom was stunning and the added Elemis goodies were really welcome.

Dinner was an exciting affair, with plenty of restaurants to choose from and literally the nicest meal myself and my husband have ever had. It was pricey, but no more than you'd expect from a 5 star hotel. Portions were a good size too and we certainly didn't leave hungry. Breakfast the next day was also great and was served in the Olive Tree Restaurant right in reception, with a buffet style that let us take what we wanted. Great food again and plenty of choice.

Checkout was fast and easy, and we left with nothing but happy feelings about our stay. Upon leaving, we hadn't encountered a single thing was was broken or dirty, nor did we encounter a single member of staff who was rude or grumpy, from the receptionists to the cleaners. I'd go again in a heartbeat and I'm waiting for the amazing offers they regularly run on their website. A very impressive hotel and one of the best I've been to.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I once came here many years ago for a New Year party. That was before the resort came into being. Since then I have witnessed the hotel being built, realised that it has become a luxury golf venue, but had no reason to either re-visit or stay there. So when that opportunity arose, I thought it was about time to find out what it has become. It is an enormous resort hotel. And after parking the car in the free car park realised why there is a shuttle bus to get to the check-in desk. I wouldn't recommend taking luggage up the steep hill! But when you do get there the size and the lavish hotel lobby is truly impressive. You could be in a grand hotel in the USA. Dare I say, not at all typical for the UK? Very polite professional staff. Then up to the room. Really nice sized, well appointed, nice and clean. Large comfortable bed, but keep the window closed because the M4 isn't too far away... Had a good 2 nights sleep. Breakfast was in the Garden room, and is self-service buffet style. All good though, but the chairs do seem to squeal against the hard floor. Health club (Forum) really nice, pool a comfortable 31 degrees centigrade, sauna, steam room all spotlessly clean and in excellent condition. But the best thing about this place? The staff. All superb.

Room Tip: If you can get a room away from the motorway, that would be a bonus.
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we couldn't believe how amazing the grounds and hotel were. It's beautiful. A lot of reviews are going on about paying for parking....there are free options available. We parked on one of the lower free car parks and there is a free shuttle bus to take you too and from there.
Our room was spotless and had lovely views over the adventure golf course. Bathroom was lovely and clean and we heard no noise all night, had the best nights sleep.
We ate out of the hotel in the evening so can't comment on the food apart from the breakfast which we did have and it's probably the best breakfast I have ever had! We sat in the conservatory room and it was quiet and the staff were so attentive to your every need.
We used the swimming pool in the evening and the pool and jacuzzi were warm, clean and were adults only from 8pm which was lovely as you could just relax and have room to swim.
The only negative comment I could give was how warm the room was, it was much to hot and there is no air con.
Apart from that I would recommend this hotel to anyone, we can't wait to go back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I booked a Mr & Mrs Manor romantic weekend at the very last minute and was pleasantly surprised. I've driven past this hotel on the M4 many times and always thought it just catered for the golfing fraternity. Room 1018 in the Resort Hotel was very quiet, had great views and although wasn't spotless it was reasonable. The staff in the Celtic Resort hotel and Manor House Hotel were excellent but the staff in Rafters restaurant were useless and could learn some customer service skills from them. They forgot about us after we finished our starters and we had to wait 45 minutes until our meals arrived. Breakfast at the Olive tree was superb but it was very busy. The food and staff at Terry M restaurant were fantastic, a big thank you to Stefano and Pavel for making evening very special. I didn't use the Spa so can't comment on treatments. It was a 6 nations rugby weekend when we stayed so if you enjoy somewhere to have a drink and watch sport on the big screen head for the Cellar bar in the Manor House hotel. Car Parking is free but you have to use the carpark next to the Manor house hotel and get shuttle up to the Resort hotel.

Room Tip: 1018 very quiet, with lovely views but look out for falling headboard!!!!!!!
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked this hotel as a last minute one night break on a special offer of 3 course dinner bed and breakfast. What can I say it was absolutely amazing. We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon, our room wasn't ready, but the reception staff couldn't be more helpful, they kept our overnight bags in a secured area and directed us to the bar so that we could watch the game (Wales v England). Our room was fantastic, with balcony on hand to soak up the views.

In the evening concierge directed us to a bus that drove us to our Restaurant where yet again, we were given first class service, nothing was too much trouble and our meal was fab. When we left the Restaurant a bus was waiting to take us back to the resort, amazing service.

The resort itself is huge offering loads of outdoor and indoor activities, including golf, spa, and swimming pool etc.

Our only regret is that we didn't book an additional night. We would definitely return to this resort again and again.

Room Tip: Room 760 overlooks the front entrance with balcony overlooking the golf course amazing.
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed with my partner in the Resort Hotel in one of the Deluxe Rooms. Completely worth every single penny - and i'm a student!
The bathroom we were planning on stealing - within our nights stay we both had multiple showers and baths as we enjoyed them that much. The bed you just sink into and never want to leave.
Our room was linked with 2 other rooms as we went with other people and we never heard anything from the other rooms.
The breakfast in the morning is out of the world - trying to pry my other half away from the food proved difficult.
Sunday dinner in Rafters was phenomenal.
I honestly can not wait to be able to return - hopefully going to attempt to book for out anniversary in may :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CescaBeth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
#15 of 74 in Cardiff
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#10 of 18 in Newport

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!