“Very relaxing and enjoyable experience, impressive resort”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We were a family of 4 that stayed here, we stayed in a family room, with two double beds and the rooms were very spacious with a large ensuite bathroom, next time I would upgrade and have a room with a balcony! The beds were very comfy with nice bedding! The breakfast was great, the hot food was a buffet but it was all fresh and hot and proper sausages and thick bacon! The swimming pool was lovely and there is a lovely relaxing armostophere at the resort! We also did the adventure golf, the children enjoyed this and it did not take that long but it was fun! We paid and parked in the underground car park but there is an outdoor car park that is free but it's down the hill from the hotel! Only complaint was that we were a family of four in a family room and we only had two towels and we asked reception for more but they did not arrive so had to chase this up again! All the staff were helpful and pleasant! The hotel was clean and well maintained! Very enjoyable experience! If your taking children check what times they can access the pool, lots to do for all the family! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Celtic Manor Resort

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed overnight at the Celtic Manor (Old Manor House) for a Birthday Treat and enjoyed the whole experience. Room was of a good quality but the decor could have done with a bit of a face lift as the carpet needing renewing and the wallpaper was peeling in some small areas around the room.

The bed and furniture in the room were excellent - large bed and two armchairs / three seater settee plus a writing desk.

Went for a walk around the whole of the Celtic Manor Resort and we were very impressed by the whole hotel - would even consider hosting my Daughter's wedding there in a few years time !!!

Room Tip: Definiately and the breakfast to you reservation.
Reviewed 17 March 2014

When my friend gave me the task of organising her classy hen party I knew straightaway that I wanted to host it at The Celtic manor and I am so glad I did. From the very start it was made easy and straightforward. Francesca in the Events team was so helpful. Nothing was too much trouble even when I had to make changes. We had a wide age range from 18 to mid 70s but I knew from the start everyone would enjoy themselves and I was right.

We were treated like VIPs for our whole stay and the bride to be was made to feel very special. The sun was shining and we were able to have a lunchtime drink outside followed by a light lunch in Merlins bar which was delicious. Despite the hotel being full due to the Wales v Scotland rugby international the service was second to none. We spent an enjoyable few hours in the fabulous spa before getting ready for our pre booked evening meal. The rooms are amazing. Spacious with comfortable beds and huge bathrooms with lovely Elemis toiletries.

We were met by the concierge in the lobby and escorted to our minibus to take us to the Lodge for our meal. This was in a private dining room and all I can say is wow! The decor was so beautiful and our waiter Robert stayed with us all evening and was attentive without being intrusive and put up with our lighthearted banter! The meal itself was superb, probably one of the best I have ever eaten.

The minibus then took us back to the main resort where we spent our evening in Merlins bar. There was live music and the bar was full but not uncomfortably so.

Breakfast the next morning was buffet style which we ate in the beautiful conservatory and was accompanied by music from a harpist.

Checkout was smooth and easy.

Highly recommended! I have told my friends if I get married I want my hen party at the Celtic manor!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

On arrival, the reception area is very impressive and check in was swift and efficient. Our room was very comfortable and the bed huge and my husband and I had a lovely nights sleep. However, for a five star hotel, small things let it down, top of picture frames and light shades were very dusty, some of the furniture was slightly damaged, not something you expect from a hotel of this rating. This time, we were surprised to find the hotel is now charging guests for car parking, very disappointing.

The leisure facilities are very good with the pool area kept at a nice warm temperature.

Dinner at Olive Tree was good, but breakfast was hectic with a wait for tables and as it was buffet style, certain items couldn't be replenished quickly enough to meet demand.

Overall, very enjoyable stay with friendly staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Celtic Manor. I worked at this hotel for a short time nine years ago and had always promised to take my husband there.
How disappointing it was.
The hotel looks very impressive but I would not rate it 5 star.
Check in was fine and we were shown to our room on the 10th floor. A very nice room overlooking the back of the hotel and very quiet, no noise from the M4.
We were there to attend a 60th birthday party at another golf club in the area.
My husband booked a taxi, through the concierge, to take us to the venue and also then asked him to book a taxi for our return at the end of the evening.
We were duly picked up from the hotel at 7.30, but no taxi came to collect us later that evening. Luckily we were able to call a local taxi firm and were eventually picked up. On returning to the Celtic Manor, my husband went to the concierge desk to check what had happened only to be told there was no record of our request!
Breakfast on both mornings was best described as chaotic. On being shown to our table, the waitress asked if we wanted tea or coffee. The first morning my tea arrived but no coffee for my husband and the second morning neither of us got our beverages until I stopped one of the staff and asked her to bring us tea and coffee. Breakfast is self service, however, given the number of guests eating there, it was very busy and noisy. Not a pleasant experience and not what you expect from a 5 star resort!
Toiletries in the bathroom are minimal, on our second day we ended up with two bottles of shampoo but no shower /bath gel. I rang housekeeping to explain the situation and ask for some shower gel. A very nice young man brought up four bottles, but on further inspection, three of them were shampoo and only one was shower gel. Surely this is very simple housekeeping!
I feel that the personal care and attention to detail has been lost and it now feels like Butlins.
For the prices they charge it fell very short of my expectations, I will not be staying there again..

1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 16 March 2014

They really aren't joking when they call this a resort, and I just couldn't believe how big the whole area was! Upon driving into the resort we saw a multi-storey car park with the ridiculous price of £10 parking for the night, but keep on driving past the hotel and back down the hill and there's a free carpark down there with a free shuttle bus to take you back up the hill. Arrival in reception was very impressive, with multiple people approaching to ask if we wanted help with our bag. We've stayed in 5 star hotels before but Celtic Manor do it on a completely different scale, and it was very impressive to see 2 actual trees, a car and a shopping mall in the reception area! We checked in and were shown to our room by a concierge which was really helpful as we'd never have found our way otherwise.

We had a double room with a balcony and it was a lovely size. Not massive but big enough to get around, and with a lovely sitting area too. The bed was humungous and really comfortable too. It was tastefully decorated, and in fitting with the age and style of the rest of the hotel. The marble bathroom was stunning and the added Elemis goodies were really welcome.

Dinner was an exciting affair, with plenty of restaurants to choose from and literally the nicest meal myself and my husband have ever had. It was pricey, but no more than you'd expect from a 5 star hotel. Portions were a good size too and we certainly didn't leave hungry. Breakfast the next day was also great and was served in the Olive Tree Restaurant right in reception, with a buffet style that let us take what we wanted. Great food again and plenty of choice.

Checkout was fast and easy, and we left with nothing but happy feelings about our stay. Upon leaving, we hadn't encountered a single thing was was broken or dirty, nor did we encounter a single member of staff who was rude or grumpy, from the receptionists to the cleaners. I'd go again in a heartbeat and I'm waiting for the amazing offers they regularly run on their website. A very impressive hotel and one of the best I've been to.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I once came here many years ago for a New Year party. That was before the resort came into being. Since then I have witnessed the hotel being built, realised that it has become a luxury golf venue, but had no reason to either re-visit or stay there. So when that opportunity arose, I thought it was about time to find out what it has become. It is an enormous resort hotel. And after parking the car in the free car park realised why there is a shuttle bus to get to the check-in desk. I wouldn't recommend taking luggage up the steep hill! But when you do get there the size and the lavish hotel lobby is truly impressive. You could be in a grand hotel in the USA. Dare I say, not at all typical for the UK? Very polite professional staff. Then up to the room. Really nice sized, well appointed, nice and clean. Large comfortable bed, but keep the window closed because the M4 isn't too far away... Had a good 2 nights sleep. Breakfast was in the Garden room, and is self-service buffet style. All good though, but the chairs do seem to squeal against the hard floor. Health club (Forum) really nice, pool a comfortable 31 degrees centigrade, sauna, steam room all spotlessly clean and in excellent condition. But the best thing about this place? The staff. All superb.

Room Tip: If you can get a room away from the motorway, that would be a bonus.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
The St. David's Hotel
#14 of 74 in Cardiff
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!