Celtic Manor Resort
HIExpress.com
US$43
New Inn Hotel(Newport)
US$70
The Old Barn Inn(Llanmartin)
US$86
US$52
  • Restaurant
Travelocity
Travelocity
Travelodge Newport Central(Newport)(Great Value!)
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
5,954 results
All reviewsthe olive tree restaurantryder cupsignature roomplay golfcrazy golfmerlins barshuttle buscellar bargolf breakroman roadrafters restaurantthe main hotelforum spathe underground car parkspa treatmentshealth clubbirthday treat
Reviewed 16 June 2014

After winning a gift voucher for a spa break I settled on going somewhere close to home, with Celtic manor being only a 25 minute drive it was perfect.
We sadly didn't get to stay in the hotel itself, but did get to sample the spa, cafe section next to the pool and also the olive tree restaurant for an afternoon tea.
The staff at the sign in section of the health club weren't amazingly helpful when we first arrived and wanted a swim in the pool, seemed in a bit of a rush, but the pool itself was gorgeous, great temperature and clean. The changing rooms had excellent facilities, including private showers, toilets and baby changing. There was also a vanity area with hair dryers.
On the way to the pool there are same sex saunas, steam rooms and hot tubs and a plunge pool.
The hot tub at the poolside was great, as was the sauna at the poolside.
The forum spa was brilliant, absolutely loved our treatment which was the elemis herbal steam temple, very relaxing and was fun racing to get our bodies covered in the muds before it got too steamy! The staff in the spa looked very presentable and offered hot drinks or cold water while we waited and filled in our consultation cards. There was a bit of a wait but we were offered to sit in the relaxation room. My only criticism of the spa was that from where I was sat I could see the front desk needed a wipe as I could see hand prints on the front, not the top, that was clean!
Afternoon tea in the olive tree restaurant was brilliant, very filling and very delicious, a great selection of foods and PLENTY of sweets! Only downside was we were too full for our scones so we were offered to take them home, and our tea didn't come til the end, I was gagging for tea!
Overall we would definitely visit again and are planning to bring our friends for a steam temple treatment!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We arrived for a 1 night break on Father's Day, as it was my first Father's Day and also my 40th birthday
Checking in we were assisted my a receptionist who barely have eye contact, we asked for a room with a balcony and we're told we had to upgrade at £30,
so we accepted only to find it was £50.. That wasn't particulars bothersome so we went to the room, a good standard but not a great standard
My partner booked directly with the hotel a one night stay dinner bed and breakfast at a cost including the upgrade of £291 approx and being my 40th birthday, we're recommended to dine at 'Terry's' restaurant so we booked a table at 630pm (to fit in with out baby's routine), they were informed we had a baby with us
We got 'suitably dressed up' and arrived at 630 with our baby son only to be met with the most unpleasant male member of staff who rudely looked at us on entering and said 'no children under 10 allowed', we explained the hotel had not informed us of that and he said we should have been told as 'some people come here to get away from children' he then asked if the baby was asleep( he was ) and said we could dine as he would 'tuck us away in the corner' I obviously rejected his invite after all a 3 course dinner at this restaurant for 2 is £99 plus drinks, so not wanting to spend this amount to be 'tucked away in a corner' I leaft, his manner, rudeness, attitude and customer service skills were obviously taken from Basil faulty. Just the worst service I have ever experienced in a Hotel.
I complained to reception and was helped by Kirsty who I have to admit was a delight and sincere in her apology and assistance, she was the shining light of our experience there and quite honestly should not have to work in such a poor customer service environment.
We declined the invite to eat elsewhere and decided to 'check out' and went directly to stay at the St David's hotel and Spa in Cardiff, where we have stayed many times and customer service is what you'd expect from a 5 Star Hotel
In Sunmary
If you have young Children, think very carefully about taking them to the Celtic Manor as from the staff at 'Terry's' is anything to go by, children are an inconvenience
Also it appears that the Celtic Manor is living off past glory of hosting the Ryder cup and having the NATO summit held there in September (oh heads of state you're in for a let down) to care a less about customer service
The Celtic manor give the impression that YOU should be greatful to them to pay £300 dinner bed and breakfast rather than realising that the customer is giving them the privilege of remaining a prosperous business
5 Star ?
Yes for facilities
NO for customer experience
Family friendly ?
NOT from our experience
Would I return or recommend ?
NO definitely not, this is an overpriced Prima Donna that is living off hosting the odd event
And If they continue to forget about the 'bread and butter' customers who allow them to remain open to host the odd event, then the future looks bleak..
Then again where we are very lucky to be able to stay in nice hotels, there are so many people who feel privileged to stay in a place that has received a lot of media attention for hosting golf events they aren't used to high standards,that maybe they'll continue to be able to offer a 3 Star customer service.
For a 5 star experience in South Wales that is family friendly has great facilities and is a 'hotel' rather than a Golf course with ' rooms' we always non intentionally keep returning to the St David's Hotel and Spa in Cardiff... No competitor comes

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Petec4
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had DBB at the Celtic manor resort on a 2 night break. Lovely room overlooking the golf course and the mountains in the distances fabulous view to wake up to. Breakfast had a great choice we went at about 10am and it wasn't quite so busy. Also had the buffet dinner which was fine with us nice choice and all very tasty local food brilliant. Disappointed I could not have any spa treatments as there was no availability. The swimming area was great but busy good grounds to walk round. Car parking was £10 but I thought that was ok have payed a lot more in London.At check out the lifts were very busy took ages to get to lobby from 9th floor. All the staff very helpful and friendly. Great break.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I spent 2 nights at Celtic Manor at the beginning of the month my third visit this year. Overall I love this place but there are a few niggles that could do with sorting out. As its my third visit this year I would have though that on checking in staff would be able to tell that I have stayed before and therefore do not need to be told all about the facilities etc. I would have thought in this day and age there would be computer software that could sort this out. So much nicer to be welcomed back each time etc. The rooms as I have said before are 1990's corporate but very comfortable with everything you might need. Luxury bathrooms. As this was a 2 night stay I was disappointed that housekeeping did not clear away dirty wine glasses in our room or wipe down the surfaces after we had room service.The spa does get overcrowded but you would expect that at busy times. We love the Twenty Ten restaurant and have eaten there 3 times over the last 2 visits. It has the best service of all of them. I would agree that concierge services are excellent. However Crazy Golf: we paid for a session, then my niece was feeling unwell so we left and the person in the hut said he would leave a note so we could have our turn the next day at no extra cost, great. We asked what time the hut closed and he said 5, we thought what a shame as its light so much later etc etc. then the next day when we went back, yes no problem the new guy had a note of our name, we were welcome to play. When I said it was a bit silly to close the course so early he said the hut closed at 5 but you can get clubs and balls from the concierge dept any time !!! It really is little things like that, that need to be done better with training and an awareness of customer service. We still love it so will be back.

Room Tip: I've stayed on 7th 9th and 10th floors all rooms are pretty much the same. I don't think a balcony is necessary as you're not in your room enough to make it worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife arranged a surprise weekend break at Celtic Manor for my 50th birthday. We stayed in a Deluxe Suite in the main hotel which I have to say was superb.Booking in was easy and the staff really friendly and helpful. The pool and spa area was also fantastic and the his and her treatments we had were so relaxing and good value for money.

Unfortunately the meal in Rafters Restaurant in the 2010 Ryder Cup clubhouse was big let down !

It was part of the package that we had paid for and whilst the restaurant looked lovely, the service was very slow (indeed one gentleman and his family were so fed up with waiting that they cancelled their order and left !). My wife ordered a fillet steak and to our surprise a sirloin
turned up !!! After complaining it took another 20 mins for the correct meal to turn up by which time i had finished my meal.

The waiter in fairness continued to apologise but things were not going right that night. Back at the main hotel a singer was in the main bar and he was really good, and the atmosphere was excellent in this area. Well worth chilling out there.

Breakfast was very good in the main hotel, though very busy. Our only gripe was the tea was stone cold in the pot and had obviously been lying around for some time.

So all in all a nice stay but i think the owners need to look at how they are running these restaurants ! I would go back though and try one of the other restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple