“Usually fantastic...beware in The Patio Bistro”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Bristol
“Usually fantastic...beware in The Patio Bistro”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have stayed at The Celtic Manor before with no problems & have enjoyed the relaxing spa, first class accommodation & food choice...however, when we stayed at Easter we arrived to find our room was smaller than usual plus was overlooking the motorway..plus just outside the room was a very noisy ice machine..I asked if we could change rooms ..we were told we could only upgrade at a charge of £80..which we grudgingly did...all fine..until we dined at The Patio Bistro...there were heater grills on the edges of the windowsills...my Husbnad leant against one & badly burnt his fingers..We called the restaurant manager who brought a bowl of Ice..we were concerned not only about my husband but that someone else could do the same..we asked for an accident log of the incident..plus I have rung the Hotel to speak to Manager several times since with no response, being told someone will ring me back..no one has...do they care? & have they addressed the issue since? Very disappointing & concerning that a resort should not follow this up

Room Tip: Speak to staff at time of booking to see if a course room is available...& preferably not a corn...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Greek first
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lovely hotel, beautiful grounds, wonderful food, comfortable room and excellent service from the staff. Top hotel and I'm not even a golfer! I would definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Wales.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan F
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were lucky enough to be given a voucher for Xmas to use at the Celtic Manor so decided to go for my birthday overnight. On arrival I found a message and chocolates on the bed. We were told that we could make use of the pool and spa facilities all day and also the following day as part of the stay and I had a great time using the sauna and steam room while my other half used the pool.

We paid for a deal which also included food in the Olive Tree restaurant. This was a buffet style meal with a large range of food to choose from (albeit a slightly odd mix - roast dinner and curry etc) but the quality of the food was superb and filling.

Yes the drinks and extras are more expensive than elsewhere in the City but then that's what you expect when you pay for a luxury break. If you want Happy Hour pints for £2 then go to your local working man's club!

In all, we had a great stay, were made to feel welcome from start to finish and were not rushed out the following day. We simply checked out our bags into our car and then went back and spent another few hours in the pool and playing crazy golf.

A wonderful overnight stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carl S
cornwall
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely hotels, stunning views. Food out of this world. Only downside is the room card kept clearing. Hotel staff said that if it's near a mobile that happens, should sort this out, as I was on9th floor and it happened to me twice. Not happy.

Staff happy to re set the cards. Spa wonderful. All in all amazing place.

Room Tip: Room on top floor have amazing views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scragtag
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went here in January as a present for our Ruby Anniversary and had an amazing time!. Because of this, when my brother visited from Australia we booked 4 rooms.

Sadly we found things had gone downhill. The curtains in our room were frayed, the wallpaper in my brother's room was peeling but worse was my daughter's disabled room in which the shower was over the bath ( how was any disabled person supposed to get in that!) and her quilt was badly stained. The reception staff did change the room without any problem but it was upsetting and also wasted time for us and for my daughter and husband.

Another thing that disappointed us was the attitude and rudeness of several staff in the bar/restaurant areas. I hasten to add not all of them as some couldn't do enough for us.

On a positive note it is still a very relaxing place to stay, the food is marvellous and reception, concierge and Lodge staff were all very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine H
Kent, England
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Over the last few years I have visited the Celtic Manor resort on a number of occasions. It goes without saying that it is a beautiful setting, with lots to do, especially if you're a golfer, but on this occasion it didn't quite come up to scratch for me.

One disappointing aspect was the room. Upon checking in we asked if we could have a room with a balcony, to be told that they were all taken. It was a very busy weekend with a big event so the hotel was full. She said not to worry though as we had been given a superior room. We then set off to find it was on the very top floor, was smaller than any room I have stayed in there, and had a distinctly musty smell. Not sure what part of it was superior, it was in fact inferior to any room I've ever stayed in there.

Due to being on the top floor you couldn't open the window very wide, which I wanted to do immediately to try and get rid of the smell. The room was quite dark as the ceilings were rather low, couple that with the room being small, I felt very cramped.

The other issue was car parking. I feel it is disgusting to charge residents the huge amount they do. They say you can park at the Manor and be ferried to the main hotel, but with limited spaces that isn't as easy as it sounds. Last year you could park on the road which runs through the grounds, but now they have put double yellow lines. From Friday evening to Monday morning, we spent £36 on car parking.

There was one or 2 issues on the Saturday night with service at a presentation dinner, but I do realise this was a huge event and maybe the staff had been drafted in and didn't have experience at Celtic Manor. We also experienced quite slow service at breakfast, but again it was the large numbers, as on the Monday morning, when most had left, it was back to being very efficient.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor, rooms much smaller.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My first visit to this resort but not my last. Attended a conference and the service we experienced was just superb, nothing was too much trouble, the staff are there willing to help not like other hotels too busy to bother with customers....

My room looked over a golf course, the views breath taking, small quibble the drains needed cleaning but I am sure they will sort that shortly..

The Bistro Restaurant food was not 5 star but did not spoil our evening...
The golf courses are simply great, very trying but superb nonetheless...
Will definitely be back here soon.

Room Tip: choose the end rooms for fantastic views....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KPC80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Hilton Cardiff
Hilton Cardiff
#9 of 73 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,988 reviews

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!