We stayed here as part of a golfing trip in June and we were not disappointed with the resort and the golf courses. We Played the 2010 which was simply a fantastic experience from arriving at the club house to being chauffeured down to the practice range and tee. And the course did not disappoint either. We also played the Montgomery which was a very enjoyable challenging course too. Make sure you get a buggy though as the terrain on this course is very very steep.
The hotel is lovely too with first rate facilities. The rooms I would put at a good four star rather than five however.
Restaurant wise there are numerous choices on site, but be prepared to pay for the pleasure. There is no cheaper alternative available and you will need to head to Newport or the surrounding area if you want a more reasonable prices.
There is plenty of free parking available but make sure you drop your bags at the hotel prior to parking as the walk is very steep, particularly with cases. There is a car park attached to the hotel but you do pay for this and it is not cheap. Free for the first couple if hours though.
Now to my customer services issues. The stay was bought for me as a gift and I forgot to take the voucher with me to the hotel. Yes my fault completely. However, I had a full print out of my voucher number and booking details which stated that it was fully prepaid. However upon checkout I spent the best part of half an hour arguing with a very unhelpful and generally rude reception desk staff member who was insisting that I paid for the stay again as she had to have the voucher to redeem it. Despite accepting that her system showed my stay was fully paid for she was adamant I had to pay and simply refused to listen to reason, in that I would send it on recorded post once I was home. She then refused to get a manager to speak with me so I could complain. Now I am a very placid traveller and do not air my views often but I was infuriated by her inability to try and solve the issue. Eventually she phoned her manager who took 5 seconds to make a decision that I could send the voucher in!! The time spent arguing meant I was 5 minutes late for my golf tee off time and meant I didn't get time to enjoy the 2010 experience fully.
A couple of days after returning home I completed the online question form on the website. This was to ask how I could obtain a set of pictures taken on the 2010 1st tee. After leaving my e mail address i received no reply. Then calling and being promised a call back I am still waiting!!
The final straw was then receiving a phone call two weeks later from them stating that I still had an outstanding balance as my voucher had not been received. Fortunately I sent it recorded and had full proof inc signature.
A long rant maybe, but a massive part of a holiday experience is the customer service. This resort is a fantastic complex but the standards of service need to match
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Host of the 2010 Ryder Cup golfing competition, this award-winning resort is set in 2000 acres of parkland in the Usk Valley. It comprises a 5-star hotel and a historic 19th-century manor house. There is the award-winning Forum Spa, as well as 6 restaurants and 3 championship golf courses. There are 2 adventure golf courses and the treetop adventure course Forest Jump. Clay pigeon shooting, fishing and mountain biking can all be arranged. The Celtic Manor Resort features a range of facilities to ensure the success of guests' business events and special occasions. These include a comprehensive convention centre and exhibition hall, 31 function rooms and 7 restaurants. Rooms all have a TV with satellite channels, and there is a 24-hour front desk. Free Wi-Fi is available in public areas, and there is space for free private parking on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Celtic Manor Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Celtic Manor Hotel Newport
- Celtic Manor Newport
- Celtic Hotel Manor
- Celtic Manor Resort Newport, Wales