“Great resort but let down by poor customer service”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here as part of a golfing trip in June and we were not disappointed with the resort and the golf courses. We Played the 2010 which was simply a fantastic experience from arriving at the club house to being chauffeured down to the practice range and tee. And the course did not disappoint either. We also played the Montgomery which was a very enjoyable challenging course too. Make sure you get a buggy though as the terrain on this course is very very steep.
The hotel is lovely too with first rate facilities. The rooms I would put at a good four star rather than five however.
Restaurant wise there are numerous choices on site, but be prepared to pay for the pleasure. There is no cheaper alternative available and you will need to head to Newport or the surrounding area if you want a more reasonable prices.
There is plenty of free parking available but make sure you drop your bags at the hotel prior to parking as the walk is very steep, particularly with cases. There is a car park attached to the hotel but you do pay for this and it is not cheap. Free for the first couple if hours though.

Now to my customer services issues. The stay was bought for me as a gift and I forgot to take the voucher with me to the hotel. Yes my fault completely. However, I had a full print out of my voucher number and booking details which stated that it was fully prepaid. However upon checkout I spent the best part of half an hour arguing with a very unhelpful and generally rude reception desk staff member who was insisting that I paid for the stay again as she had to have the voucher to redeem it. Despite accepting that her system showed my stay was fully paid for she was adamant I had to pay and simply refused to listen to reason, in that I would send it on recorded post once I was home. She then refused to get a manager to speak with me so I could complain. Now I am a very placid traveller and do not air my views often but I was infuriated by her inability to try and solve the issue. Eventually she phoned her manager who took 5 seconds to make a decision that I could send the voucher in!! The time spent arguing meant I was 5 minutes late for my golf tee off time and meant I didn't get time to enjoy the 2010 experience fully.
A couple of days after returning home I completed the online question form on the website. This was to ask how I could obtain a set of pictures taken on the 2010 1st tee. After leaving my e mail address i received no reply. Then calling and being promised a call back I am still waiting!!
The final straw was then receiving a phone call two weeks later from them stating that I still had an outstanding balance as my voucher had not been received. Fortunately I sent it recorded and had full proof inc signature.

A long rant maybe, but a massive part of a holiday experience is the customer service. This resort is a fantastic complex but the standards of service need to match

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank keeno9712
There are newer reviews for Celtic Manor Resort

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Ive read a few reviews for celtic manor and was a bit concerned as i had already booked the break. To start with dont take any notice of the bad reviews, i cant believe they have had such bad experiences!!! I went with a friend for a golf break and we received 1st class treatment from the start of our stay until the end. Every member of staff was unbelievably friendly and offered to do everything they could for us.

We played the montgomerie and the 2010 course and for all golfers they are a must. The montgomerie may not be that long but it gives you opportunities to score well. The 2010 course is the hardest ive ever played especially as the wind was blowing. Dont let that put you off though as we both really enjoyed it. Also at the end of the round on the 2010 course you get your clubs cleaned for free, just a nice way to finish the riund off while you have a drink in the bar.

We stayed in the resort hotel in a twin superior room. It was lovely and spacious with satellite tv, and excellent free wifi. The bathroom has a nice tub and a lovely walk in shower with ample room. Its also decorated fully in marble tiles. There is plenty of storage space and a mini bar.

The food at the resort is second to none. Although the drinks are fairly pricy £5.20 for a bottle of bulmers, and the food is aswell, its well worth it. Its 5 star food for a five star resort. We will definitely be coming back in the near future.

The only mark i have against this place is paying for parking £10 per day, but there is a free car park which is not far away at all so my advice is to park in there. There was ample space so no need to spend £10 on parking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Excellent room located on the corner of the hotel. Double balcony with beautiful views over the Severn Estuary. Bed was enormous and comfortable, as was the bathroom and shower. Ate in the Olive Tree restaurant. Buffet style restaurant but food and service was very good.
Very comfortable hotel. I made use of the fitness studio, which was superb.
Parking in the underground car-park is £10 for 24 hours but worth it as the complimentary parking is a shuttle bus away or a steep walk back up to the main resort. I was visiting on business but do not play golf, so the golf provision was a little lost on me. However, it looked impressive none the less!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the motorway. Corner rooms are superb.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have stayed at The Celtic Manor before with no problems & have enjoyed the relaxing spa, first class accommodation & food choice...however, when we stayed at Easter we arrived to find our room was smaller than usual plus was overlooking the motorway..plus just outside the room was a very noisy ice machine..I asked if we could change rooms ..we were told we could only upgrade at a charge of £80..which we grudgingly did...all fine..until we dined at The Patio Bistro...there were heater grills on the edges of the windowsills...my Husbnad leant against one & badly burnt his fingers..We called the restaurant manager who brought a bowl of Ice..we were concerned not only about my husband but that someone else could do the same..we asked for an accident log of the incident..plus I have rung the Hotel to speak to Manager several times since with no response, being told someone will ring me back..no one has...do they care? & have they addressed the issue since? Very disappointing & concerning that a resort should not follow this up

Room Tip: Speak to staff at time of booking to see if a course room is available...& preferably not a corn...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean R
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lovely hotel, beautiful grounds, wonderful food, comfortable room and excellent service from the staff. Top hotel and I'm not even a golfer! I would definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Wales.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan F
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were lucky enough to be given a voucher for Xmas to use at the Celtic Manor so decided to go for my birthday overnight. On arrival I found a message and chocolates on the bed. We were told that we could make use of the pool and spa facilities all day and also the following day as part of the stay and I had a great time using the sauna and steam room while my other half used the pool.

We paid for a deal which also included food in the Olive Tree restaurant. This was a buffet style meal with a large range of food to choose from (albeit a slightly odd mix - roast dinner and curry etc) but the quality of the food was superb and filling.

Yes the drinks and extras are more expensive than elsewhere in the City but then that's what you expect when you pay for a luxury break. If you want Happy Hour pints for £2 then go to your local working man's club!

In all, we had a great stay, were made to feel welcome from start to finish and were not rushed out the following day. We simply checked out our bags into our car and then went back and spent another few hours in the pool and playing crazy golf.

A wonderful overnight stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carl S
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely hotels, stunning views. Food out of this world. Only downside is the room card kept clearing. Hotel staff said that if it's near a mobile that happens, should sort this out, as I was on9th floor and it happened to me twice. Not happy.

Staff happy to re set the cards. Spa wonderful. All in all amazing place.

Room Tip: Room on top floor have amazing views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scragtag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
The St. David's Hotel
#15 of 74 in Cardiff
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!