“Not 5 star!”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from a 1 night stay at the celtic manor, it's not as impressive as you hope.
We arrived early and had lunch at Rafters, my sister and myself had a glass of prosecco and the waiter brought out another 2 by mistake. He returned later with one of the prosecco's and told me sister the "prosecco was a gift to her for her birthday, off him" well he added it to the bill anyway!
I went for a golf lesson at the academy, I have to say this was the best part of my stay, it was fantastic!!
After checking in (to dusty rooms, which had a bathroom that stank of damp) we went down to the Spa facilities.
It's Ok, but not what you'd expect in a 5 star resort, pool side was absolutely boiling and the water points are back in through the changing rooms.
We ate in the olive tree on the weds night, food was fabulous, service not so good and it was boiling, no air con and I think a few doors or windows could have been opened.
We had breakfast in the olive tree also and this was better.
However - on the terrace which is by the main entrance in the morning there were still glasses left on tables from the night before! Not a good sight.
A disappointing factor for me is you can tell this hotel is close to England, no welsh feel about it, not even signage or welsh menu's. I personally think this would be a nice touch. All or most of the staff are foreign, it has no welsh feel about it at all.
I'd like to go back for a day of golf, but the resort itself needs some work!!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank skipper_ambs
Write a ReviewReviews (5,765)

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Been here several times over the years and have never been disappointed. It's always been business, the conference facilities are top notch, and of course the golf course is perfect. Like any 4/5 star hotel the rooms have all that you would expect, the restaurants are very good. It's not cheap though.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My sister and I recently attended a wedding in the grounds of the Celtic manor which was wonderful however the same could not be said of the hotel. Our room a twin, had one bath towel between us. My sister had a hot shower however when it came to my turn there was no hot water left! At breakfast I ordered poached eggs, after a ten minute wait my waiter began setting the table next to ours having clearly forgotten to place my order and scurried off saying it would be five minutes more! And the final insult, having to pay a parking fee on top of our hotel bill!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Dorcas M
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I just got back from a 2 night break at the celtic manor resort in a superior room with balcony.
The room was nice not that special and we were firstly given a room overlooking the m4 so we asked to switch to one on the other side which was accommodated no problem. It would be nice to have had patio furniture on the balconies as every time we wanted to sit out there with a bottle of wine we had to move the armchairs out there!
On our first night we just had a quick bite to eat in the cocktail lounge and I ordered a cocktail which are advertised at £9.75 however when we went to pay we had been charged £11.50 and the bartender argued with my husband and told him the prices had changed and that the menus were wrong?!?who knows how often this had been happening and they had been pocketing the extra??

Breakfast was very nice and laid out well but during our first breakfast 2 male members of staff were arguing right next to us and very loudly as well which wasn't a great atmosphere for all the guests.

Aside from this the spa was great except for the broken spa bath and plunge pool and we participated in the tree top challenge which was a good experience.

On our last night we headed to Cardiff bay to eat and soak up the sunshine which was great.

Thanks for a nice stay but could've been better and could've had a more luxurious feel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LauraP1989
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great place. Our superior room was really good with the biggest bed I've ever seen, a nice seating area, lovely bathroom and a balcony. It was great value too. They nearly always seem to be offering deals too. I payed well under £100 for a night.

We ate in the Olive Tree restaurant which serves an extensive buffet. There was loads of choice and the food we had was excellent. You probably have to be a big eater to get full value from the £32.50 price tag but if you are it's definitely worth it.

The spa and pool facilities are really good. The only odd thing is that there seems to be no mixed gender jacuzzi or steam room. They are in the changing areas. There's a mixed gender sauna tho.

Now for the 'almost' bit. Everything says 5 star - even the name - except the service. Don't get me wrong, it's fine, but it isn't five star or possibly even 4. They let themselves down by not sweating the detail. Generally speaking they need to see need more quickly and deliver solutions with less delay. I think the issues are probably too many inexperienced staff and possibly too little empowerment for staff to be liberated and deliver great things. Maybe one day that will happen.

Don't let that put you off though. True 5* service would cost several times what this resort provides so view it as just part of a bigger whole and you won't I think be disappointed.

Definitely worth a visit.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed in the hotel and had dinner bed and breakfast,the bedroom was nice enough a bit dated tho,check in was quick and easy. Dinner in the olive tree was really nice and good value for money,service was good staff didn't interact that much due to being busy.metlins bar after dinner was lovely and very relaxing. Breakfast the next day was amazing from the moment you walk in you greeting with a smile,all the staff were very good and nothing was to much bother,the manager (Jessica ) was very good and helped us getting food from the buffet due to my wife having difficulty walking,she seen this straight away and went out of her way to help us with what ever we needed even had the chef make us some fried bread,which was delicious, you can see she loves her job and has a real passion for it,we watched her and she walked around the restaurant checking on all the guests not just us.she made our stay even more perfect,what a star. All in all a lovely stay with really nice friendly staff

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Service: Front desk staff very good despite having to deal with the 100+ people in our corporate group.
Room: The rooms are clean, comfortable and well presented. The showers tend to soak the bathroom floor unless carefully adjusting the shower head.
Restaurants / bar: The food laid on for our evening corporate event was excellent and the the garden terrace was a lovely setting. The brunch in the clubhouse was very good and reasonably priced. The main bar was pleasant and a nice atmosphere with many other guests, although it did become difficult to get served more drinks in the early hours despite being hotel guests and told it was a 24 hour bar.

Room Tip: Excellent food in the clubhouse.