Just had a great time playing golf here for 2 days, and apart from our excellent meal at Rafters restaurant, there is very little to commend this resort in terms of customer service.
Service at tables for even a drink is slow, particularly at The Lodge, where you will have to repeatedly ask for someone to take your order, either for drink or food and then wait patiently for it to appear. I heard several guests asking where their food was, as they had to be somewhere and had been waiting for quite a while.
I would advise everybody to avoid The Lodge, we went there a second time hoping that the first was just a shortage of staff, but unfortunately it was more of the same.
There seems to be a theme running through the resort with the staff since the last time we visited, the concierge was rude to my wife, and had I been there instead of on the course, he would have realised the mistake he had made. In an industry where your job is to serve and be polite, it is intolerable to be rude to a customer, sadly my wife didn't get his name and he escaped the retribution he deserves.
The Spa fared no better, the staff don't seem to have an idea who is getting what treatment, the customer shouldn't have to ask when they will get their treatment 30 minutes after it was due.
It's a shame that the resort as a whole has become lax in it's view of the service it provides for the paying customer. This is an expensive hotel, with that expense the customer should rightly expect a level of service. Sadly this 5 star establishment does not live up to it's billing.
Oh and one more thing, why charge £10 to park overnight, is there somewhere else to park?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Host of the 2010 Ryder Cup golfing competition, this award-winning resort is set in 2000 acres of parkland in the Usk Valley. It comprises a 5-star hotel and a historic 19th-century manor house. There is the award-winning Forum Spa, as well as 6 restaurants and 3 championship golf courses. There are 2 adventure golf courses and the treetop adventure course Forest Jump. Clay pigeon shooting, fishing and mountain biking can all be arranged. The Celtic Manor Resort features a range of facilities to ensure the success of guests' business events and special occasions. These include a comprehensive convention centre and exhibition hall, 31 function rooms and 7 restaurants. Rooms all have a TV with satellite channels, and there is a 24-hour front desk. Free Wi-Fi is available in public areas, and there is space for free private parking on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Stayforlong S.L., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Celtic Manor Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Celtic Manor Hotel Newport
- Celtic Manor Newport
- Celtic Hotel Manor
- Celtic Manor Resort Newport, Wales