“What happened to customer service?”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just had a great time playing golf here for 2 days, and apart from our excellent meal at Rafters restaurant, there is very little to commend this resort in terms of customer service.
Service at tables for even a drink is slow, particularly at The Lodge, where you will have to repeatedly ask for someone to take your order, either for drink or food and then wait patiently for it to appear. I heard several guests asking where their food was, as they had to be somewhere and had been waiting for quite a while.
I would advise everybody to avoid The Lodge, we went there a second time hoping that the first was just a shortage of staff, but unfortunately it was more of the same.
There seems to be a theme running through the resort with the staff since the last time we visited, the concierge was rude to my wife, and had I been there instead of on the course, he would have realised the mistake he had made. In an industry where your job is to serve and be polite, it is intolerable to be rude to a customer, sadly my wife didn't get his name and he escaped the retribution he deserves.
The Spa fared no better, the staff don't seem to have an idea who is getting what treatment, the customer shouldn't have to ask when they will get their treatment 30 minutes after it was due.
It's a shame that the resort as a whole has become lax in it's view of the service it provides for the paying customer. This is an expensive hotel, with that expense the customer should rightly expect a level of service. Sadly this 5 star establishment does not live up to it's billing.
Oh and one more thing, why charge £10 to park overnight, is there somewhere else to park?

Room Tip: Sorry, I wouldn't actually recommend anyone to stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steve-a1960
Write a ReviewReviews (5,761)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Celtic manor as a mini honeymoon as recently got married. Overall had a fantastic stay but at breakfast we felt as if we were getting rushed to finish and a lady was rather rude to us as we hadn't put our knifes and forks together as we finished. Didn't like being spoken to with that attitude so we left our coffee and went back to our room.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Niclousam
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have just returned from 2 night stay at Celtic Manor. Stayed on a dinner,bed and breakfast rate. Overall excellent. The activities for children brilliant and especially the all in 'Activity Pass' - 4 activities plus lunch. Staff very attentive and friendly. Breakfast very good given the number of guests to cater for. We ate at the Olive Tree buffet restaurant on first night and again, was a pleasant experience although felt a little rushed. We opted to add to the rate and visited Newbridge on Usk Inn, part of the hotel but about 10 mins off site (hotel provided a shuttle service) for meal in second night - highly recommended. Will definitely be booking a return visit.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank trixter10
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spent two glorious days at the Celtic Manor Resort, playing two rounds of golf. Got a great package deal off the internet.
Played the first day 18 holes on the Montgomerie course the second day the 2010 Ryder Cup course the resort and hotel are top standard with excellent service from the hotel staff as well as the golf resort staff who take care of all your golfing needs. Rooms are of a good 5 star std and have balconies overlooking the courses. Food good whether in the self service buffet (which was our package) or the restaurants. There are shuttle buses on demand between the hotel and courses. Although 5 star the prices for drinks in the bars was not excessive.
Would recommend this resort to anyone whether a golfer or not.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms have better views, rooms at the rear overlook the Golf courses.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2014

When I arrived by car clear directions from the doorman were lacking and I was left to roam the car park for 10 minutes. The receptionist didn't give details of the spa or correct details of where our room was. Okay that's the bad points out the way. As a spa veteran of 40+ UK spas I can honestly say that the treatments at Celtic are the best I have ever had, even my daughter agreed and that's saying something. The number one spa treatment for me is the 'SIGNATURE INDULGENCE MASSAGE' and my therapist was so good (Deb).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for only one night in connection with a corporate dinner. I did not play golf or use the spa or gym or any of the facilities other than the room and the restaurant. So my comments should be viewed in that context.

That said, I have stayed at some of the best hotels around the world and seen a number of top quality hotel rooms. This was not one of them.

I had booked the most basic room type in the resort. The room was very ordinary. Probably a step up from a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn but not a huge one. It was a very hot day. The air conditioning works adequately for a short while and then turns itself off. This is very annoying especially during the night. The furnishings were mid-level quality lacking in any class or imagination.

The rooms were obviously designed by a man. There is not one mirror in the room or anywhere to sit down when drying your hair. I had to plug the dryer in to the coffee-making area in the entrance foyer so I could open the cupboard door by the front door and use the mirror on the inside of it. This was very poor.

Breakfast was fine. Nothing special but the usual breakfast buffet. Service was really cheerful and very good. In fact all the staff around the hotel were helpful and friendly.

The hotel itself is like a conference hotel with loads of huge open spaces, lots of marble and a shiny new car in the foyer. It is all a bit tasteless and seems to be aiming for functionality rather than class, comfort or style. It seems to be a bit like a Las Vegas hotel in the 1980s or 1990s. Maybe I'm being harsh and as I say, this has to be read in the context of my one night. It is probably fine if you play golf.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank FinchleyTourist
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed in the Manor Hse this time. Much better than main hotel - quieter and this building had much more character. Connected to main hotel via internal walk ways/escalators. Played 2010 course. We were collected by mini bus, driven down to club house. Driven to buggies/free practice area. Staff really helpful and friendly. Lockers and buggies had our names on.
Excellent course. Free engraved disc at end of game - date, time of t-off and our names. Nice touch.
Meal later in Rafters. Fabulous food and great service. Recommend and will go again v soon.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter stay, choose the Manor House-no noisy kids and it was cheaper and had more cha...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diggy52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Holiday Inn Express Newport
The St. David's Hotel
The St. David's Hotel
#16 of 74 in Cardiff

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!