“Break”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Break”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very busy hotel coming in school holidays without children not such a good idea as lots of them around also with the NATO conference in two weeks not as smooth as usual as been here many times before but they are busy preparing for NATO and heads of state.
Had a smaller room than normal but still nice except that in the bathroom when we arrived there was dirty water I. The sink which wouldn't go away, we contacted reception and it was dealt with quickly, but not what I expect from a Five star hotel!! Also our bed lamps weren't plugged in so when we returned my husband had to pull the bed out to enable us to have light - again I would have expected this to be done before we arrived in the room. Ate the Olive Tree restaurant which for £32. 00 a head I think is expensive as it's nothing special and self service. Breakfast was very good and an excellent choice. Next time we come we will check what's on before booking!

Room Tip: Have a room facing golf course as the motorway is very noisy and the views are better too.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liland65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,104)
  • Greek first
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here with friends for a golf break. We were booked in at the Manor House. Great experience from start to finish. Arrived at 12 noon, rooms not available till 4 but able to use the facilities. Free resort transfer to the golf courses. Left the girls to use the spa facilities whilst we enjoyed a round of golf on 2010 course, very impressive. Met a 2010 clubhouse, showed around the facilities, had our own locker with our names on it. Transported down to first tee where practice facilities there, free range balls. Given our own personal bag tag as well. After our round and a well deserved pint transported back to the main resort. Easy to walk between the Manor House and the main resort hotel. Rooms in the Manor House very good, clean, large, comfortable beds. Tea/coffee, free wifi, tv, hairdryer etc. Prices of drinks and food expensive but expected, alternative eating place in Caerleon a few minutes away. Breakfast adequate, buffet style although a la carte also available. Played on the Montgomerie course on second day, good course but a good walk round as quite hilly. Very well organised golfing break venue, would certainly return.

Room Tip: Manor House is a good and less expensive alternative to the main resort hotel, well recommended.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris905
UK
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Be careful with this hotel as the customer service gets worse by the day. I booked a Christmas party and hotel stay as a surprise for my mother. When they sent me the party booking I did not receive a copy of the room reservation. A few days later my mum rang up to ask why she had suddenly received an email for a hotel reservation in my name. I have never given them her email, I even repeated my email address back to them. I emailed them to complain and the reply back was basically as you have been linked in a previous booking with your mums email and details it must have been sent to her for that reason. No apology as her surprise is now ruined and on top of that she could have been anyone who got that email and all my personal address details etc just sent out without any due care and attention.
I'm seriously annoyed and disappointed especially as they are meant to be more security conscious for the forthcoming NATO summit. Good luck.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank rikimuk
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Disappointing.

For £190 we had a room with a balcony. This price did not reflect the room we had. Very dated and in need of a refurb. Had to ring reception for robes that had not been provided. No balcony furniture. Limited tv channels.

Reception we’re far too brief at check in, I had to ask about dinner reservations, check out times, use of spa facilities, information you should be told.

Once asking to make reservation at check in they were then made for the wrong restaurant.

We had dinner in the lodge which was pleasant, lovely cured meat starter followed by a steak and a pot of cheese? I think it was supposed to be potato but failed to find any.

Spa area is dated, and rather oddly no communal steam room for men and women.

I can however not fault the driving staff who bring you up from the car park and take you around site. What lovely polite friendly men. Although I did feel very sorry for them. They were wearing a thick blazer jacket on a beaming hot day. Not by choice either from what we gathered! Let them get some air!

Won’t be returning again – better spa hotels to stay at for a mini weekend break that are worth the money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SDMReviews
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for our wedding anniversary and we couldn't of asked for any better. The service was second to none nothing was too much trouble. The room was excellent with views across the golf course. We ate in the orchard restaurant which is buffet style and was superb. We can't speak highly enough of this hotel and will be returning as soon as we have an excuse too!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 320Flyingfish
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and it didn't disappoint. I went with my Mother and my nine year old daughter. There's plenty to do in the hotel, my daughter went to the archery and had we not spent a lot of time sightseeing maybe she'd have done more. We used the pool and steam room as well and it was very relaxing looking out over the beautiful countryside. The staff were very friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Tadworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very comfortable and staff are all very customer focused but getting around the resort is a nuisance, rather than difficult. Cannot walk around easily as it is very hilly. Also it is unnecessarily formal in the bar area. You have to wait to be served rather than just order drinks at the bar.... May suit some thought does feel very slow when busy

Room Tip: Probably cannot go wrong with rooms as all seem to have reasonable views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
#15 of 73 in Cardiff
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Newport

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!