“We had a good time - however judge it for what it is”

Celtic Manor Resort
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Newport
Bristol, UK
“We had a good time - however judge it for what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My party of four had a good time, however while reading through the reviews I can well understand where things go wrong: Celtic Manor is a massive resort - think of it more as a huge factory or administrative HQ of a company and you will probably get a better understanding of the complexities of running something like this. There is a lot going - we counted three weddings, two separate corporate events, umpteen large golfing parties on three courses, half a dozen restaurants fully packed and the spas, gyms and swimming pool. While it is all running smoothly and you are not personally affected by anything going wrong the experience is somewhat different - however, if things start to go awry and this is the same for any complex organisation, they can spiral quite quickly.

There is no defence for shoddy customer service or overcharging but the percentage of guests being treated badly compared to the vast majority has to be small. If it's you then, I am sorry but brown stuff does happen - take them to the small claims court if it really has been so shocking and disruptive.

Sometimes it really is necessary to defend the reputation of establishments on Trip Advisor - I don't have any affiliation to Celtic Manor by the way - but we found it to be exactly what we expected, a bustling resort that does it best to accommodate and service a very large customer base - and really quite well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank hanhamvillager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Greek first
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked a two night break in June this year.

Our room was vile and smelt of sewerage and looked tatty and dated, we called reception and they moved us to a different room. The new room, was still tired, dated and the air conditioning did not work.

We were told by reception on arrival that breakfast was available until 10.30am, when we came down at 10.15am, we were informed that breakfast was shut in a very abrupt rude way. They reluctantly let us sit down, after a lot of huffing and puffing. The breakfast was utterly vile, stale bread and cheap serials, the coffee and tea did not appear, the fruit was tinned. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this breakfast would not be out of place, in a 2 star all inclusive.

Before leaving, we raised our concerns with management both at reception and on twitter. Unfortunately they did not care less.

Terrible hotel, not worth paying £20 a night let alone the £200 per night that is charged. I think management, need to stop riding off the former glory days, stop being arrogant and rude, read all the terrible reviews and start making changes.

St David's Spa down the bay is truly magnificent.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank rosieno177
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

The best gol trip I've been on ,everyone at hotel and golf departments could not do enough ,the consierge could not do enough for the twelve of us ,thanks from all.went to local village ex chines fish restraints and pubs ten minutes in taxi

Room Tip: They all are
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights checking in very late the first night. When i got to the room it was very nice and bigger than your average room. I was very disappointed to find some crisps under my bed and some old matted hair on the shower wall, which is pretty disgusting to be honest. The following morning not wanting to report these things i left a note on the bed for the maid. The crisps were moved when i got back to my room but the hair was still there on the shower wall. I had to ring reception to report this and it was finally cleaned. Prior to posting this on here I did contact the hotel who apologised but an offer of complimentary parking if I stayed there again didn't quite cut it!

The gym was good and the food I had was also good. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Hunter Lodge:
Nice open plan layout, ideal for a trip away with family (four double en suite bedrooms) amazing views across the twenty ten golf course. Enjoyed the sauna, but the hot tub wasn't working (we were offered complimentary activities/meal as an alternative, though it took several phone calls, and many unreturned calls before this was fully confirmed... More on service later).
The lodge is not serviced unless you pay extra which seems strange for a luxury lodge. Even if you don't mind walking down the road to throw the bins out etc, it would be useful if there were more cleaning facilities (eg broom, mop, hoover. There was only a small dustpan and brush).

Spa:
Excellent treatments - massages, facials (thank you Charlotte D). However spa facilities are very basic and not comparable to spa breaks we've had in London or the New Forest. Not a reason not to go...but you should know what to expect! I was only given one thin towel and there were no towels in the changing rooms. Afterwards I was told more towels could be requested from the spa reception but they do not advise new guests of this before they head off into the spa/pool area. No shampoo or lotions in the changing room that I could see.

Activities:
Tried the Segway (fun if it's your first time, but instructor led course doesn't take you very far so leaves you wanting more), high ropes and mini golf. Good instructors. Staff at Twentyteny golf course were very helpful.

Service:
This was the hotel's biggest let down.

Even before the trip it took several attempts to get through on the phone to book spa treatments or make enquiries about hotel activities.

Even once we were there, response times to requests or time taken to answer the phone was extremely poor. There were several occasions during our four night break when no one picked up the hunter lodge reception line (very poor for what is supposed to be the higher end accommodation- thankfully when i redialled the main hotel concierge they were often able to help). At least three times phone calls were not returned as promised. The one time a phone call was returned It was when I'd explicitly said not to call back as the baby was sleeping!

The lodges are not within walking distance from the main hotel so you need to rely on the shuttle service unless you want to keep driving up and down yourself. Most of the time when we called for the shuttle to pick us up from the lodge to take us to the main hotel this was fine. However the two times that we called for the shuttle from the twentyten clubhouse reception (also doubles as the hunter lodge reception) the van did not show up at all. The first time I had given them 20minutes notice before my spa treatment and managed to make it there just about on time after Gavin from reception drove me up in a separate car. The second time my husband gave them 30 mins notice and after 40mins there was still no shuttle!! Again, Gavin had to jump in the car and drive him down after a totally unhelpful lady at the reception had nothing better to say than that she had called the transfer car twice. My husband was late for his spa appointment and didn't even have time to change before running in. It was a horrible, stressful experience and not what you want when you're on holiday. You could drive down yourself but beware that parking at the main hotel can get full at peak times.

On the whole the staff were very friendly and welcoming in person (especially great service at the Rafters restaurant and golf staff). The problems we had probably reflect more of an issue with staffing levels on the phone/shuttle service. It left us feeling stressed out throughout the holiday, waiting on the other end of a ringing line, questioning whether our car would show up on time or if we'd be late... Not a nice feeling!

Billing:
Check your bill! We were overcharged for the spa treatments and golf shop. Since these weren't itemised it would have been easy to miss the mistakes and just pay the final bill. It was corrected once we identified the mistakes.

Room Tip: Probably worth paying the extra daily charge to get your lodge serviced as there aren't sufficie...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SunMonster
Somerset, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

PLEASE READ BEFORE BOOKING!!!

I stayed at the Celtic Manor with my family of 9 and my mum had booked 5 rooms for all of us. It was supposed to be a relaxing treat as we had just lost my Grandma and we all needed a break.

We arrived on the Sunday afternoon at approx 12pm, we went to recpetion to let them know we had arrived incase our rooms were ready early (we were aware we could'nt check in until 4pm but were planning on using the spa facilites) We were told that all 5 rooms are on the 10th floor as my mum had requested that we were all together.
No rooms were ready so we decided to go for a drink. The waitor took our orders straight away but there was a big delay on bringing our drinks over, which we found consistent throughout our stay.

We checked the availability of our rooms again at 2.30pm and were told that my mum and uncle's room was ready but could not check in because there was a power shortage. We went down to use the spa to relax before checking in again at 4pm.

4pm arrived and we had to join a massive queue as everyone else was trying to check in at the same time. We eventually got to the front to be told by a very patronising receptionist that 3 rooms were ready, 1 room wasn't and they had no record of our 5th room!!

We then spent the 1.15hr with the manager at reception proving that my mum had booked 5 rooms AND paid in advance for all of them. The manager wasn't much help and my mum had to trawl through her emails to find all the booking confirmations.... Something which shouldn't have to be done in a 5* hotel.
To make matters worse we were given 3 rooms on the 10th floor, 1 room on the 8th floor and 1 twin room on the 7th floor after we had been promised a couple of hours earlier that we were all on the 10th floor together. The twin room which was allocated on the 7th floor was for my 2 young cousins who shouldn't have to be 3 floors away from their parents. The manager evetually apologised and agreed to have a couple bottles of wine on the table for us at dinner that evening.

When we had finally checked in we all seperated to go up to our rooms. They were very nice rooms and I was having a look around to find that our mini bar was half used. I rang reception straight away to let them know as we didn't want to be charged for what was missing. We were in our rooms for 2hrs and in that time no one came to investigate, we went down to reception to meet for dinner and I then mentioned it again to reception as well as telling them that my mums fridge in her room wasn't working.

We were waiting for the mini bus to take us to The Lodge restaurant my uncle got pulled to one side and told that he wouldn't be let in with the footwear that he was wearing (he was wearing black sketchers walking shoes), my cousin also got told the same and he was wearing black suede plimsolls. By this time we had had enough and asked for the manager straight away. He then told us that we should have been made aware 3 times of the dress code since we checked in and we weren't made aware once!! My uncle luckily had brought some shoes with him so reluctlenty went to change but my cousin was stuck. We were told on this occasion that it would be allowed but it is not normally.

We arrived at the restaurant which was beautiful and had a lovely meal ad the service there was amazing. We were a little disappointed that we seen other people in the restaurant in sports trainers.

The rest of our stay was failry average, breakfast was lovely although the plates and bowls on our table soon mounted up and we had to ask for them to be cleared away to make more room.

Check out was smooth, although no apology. We thought we had our fair share of troubles and were glad to get home until 2 days later when I checked my bank account and noticed that £172 had been taken out of my account (which is the price of a room). I was so upset as I just wanted to forget about our time away and now they were still causing more trouble.

Since then my mum has been in contact with Celtic Manor who haven't been very helpful and offered us no form of compensation for our stay or the taking of my money.

What was supposed to be a nice break for our family that had just been through a bereavement turned into the most stressful, unpleasant stay i have ever encountered.

Room Tip: The rooms were lovely, just check your mini bar and fridge.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Nina T
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was a bit surprised by the Celtic Manor Resort a Hotel. We were told it was quite upmarket, which in some ways it is, with its well appointed rooms (especially with balcony), spa and lovely garden and patio areas. But the surprise is that it is a Resort. Whether you want the golf, the rope walk, archery etc. there seems to be plenty to do and families seem well considered. Felt like a Spanish type family holiday resort (probably because when we went the sun was shining, but it is in Wales). We don't play golf, or climb amongst trees, but we found it a really relaxing place. We went on one of the many offers which included breakfast and buffet evening meal. The breakfast was lovely, but the evening meal did feel a bit canteen like and not that wonderful. The staff were friendly and helpful (except perhaps the restaurant receptionist who made several of us take a seat in the bar because they hadn't opened yet - even though we arrived at stated dining time, then started to allow people in literally 3 minutes later, strange and annoying). On the other hand the concierge service were brilliant. We are planning a trip back, but won't have the buffet evening meal next time.

Room Tip: Get a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ShabbyEric
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Hilton Cardiff
Hilton Cardiff
#10 of 76 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,928 reviews

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!