“Disgusting!”
Review of The Olde Oak Inn - CLOSED

The Olde Oak Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
“Disgusting!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Booked a table for 13 which included 5 children, restaurant only had 3 other people in there eating, ordered food and every single dish came out covered in black pepper, 2 dishes got sent back because the "chef" forgot to put the cream in the white wine sauce so basically poured warm wine over the chicken, complained to the manager who tried to turn it into a joke and said oh we've got a young chef who's only just started here! Rang the next day to speak to the owner and whoever answered the phone said he was busy so I told them about the meal the night before to which he replied that hopefully our next visit will be a better experience! This was a family meal celebrating my sons birthday and it was ruined! Never ever again will I eat there, which is a shame because previous meals were lovely .

1 Thank craigstwin

“Large booking”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We needed a venue that could host about 20 to 30 people as we were visiting family and friends whilst on holiday from NZ. We made a reservation on the Saturday morning. When we arrived the restaurant was empty which suited us as there were 11 children and 19 adults that finally turned up. There weren't enough menus for everyone. Condiments and the correct cutlery weren't placed before the meals arrived. At least 6 steaks were sent back as they hadn't been cooked enough. 1 meal turned up without its sauce as per the menu. The restaurant can seat up to about 80 people. No way could they cope with a full restaurant. I would recommend getting the basics right and a smaller menu that would be easier to get out of the kitchen with minimal fuss.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Mike W
Newport, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Been going there for several years for Sunday lunch and always looked forward to it until recently. The roast potatoes were hard, no option of boiled potatoes, the yorkshire puddings were tasteless and the choice of veg was lacking. the meat was still good but I'll be trying elsewhere in the future.

• Visited September 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
“Never got as far as having a meal”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Avoid this place if you are looking for a nice relaxing evening. On approaching the pub we were met with loud music - this was in the car park as the doors to the place were wide open. The outside smoking area was full and the langugae (bad) was not what I would want to hear. If I had children with me I would have turned straight around. The pub looked "rough" and empty - obviously all the clientelle were outside.
I am afraid I cannot tell you what the meal was like as the whole atmosphere of the place was unwelcoming and scruffy. We decided to go elsewhere.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank PhilJul77
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I had a pleasant surprise last night. We ( 8 in all.) were looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate my birthday and we found The Olde Oak Inn. Wow! What a find, because the meal was fantastic and the service was excellent. Needless to say we will be going there again and I have no hesitation in recomending it to anyone.

• Visited August 2013