“Gone Down Hill Quickly !”
Review of Tredegar Arms

Tredegar Arms
Ranked #293 of 428 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A recently fully refurbished and relaunched managed pub, serving great food and drink. We also have quiz nights and live entertainment
Caerphilly County, United Kingdom
“Gone Down Hill Quickly !”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and self have visited The Tredegar Arms often in the last few years but last-nights visit will, I regret, be the last. We would have had a better meal in Wetherspoons for a much lower cost!

If you do visit, whatever you do don't order a steak !

I did complain to the ( very nice ) young lady who served us - she consulted with her "manager" and we were offered free coffee if we would like it ! Neither my wife or self finished our meal and it is most unlikely we will return for anything more than a "pint" in their very nice beer garden.

4 Thank Aitchkay56

Newport, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Meat dry veg very under cooked gravy was hot water & grease no flavour the staff plonked food down didn't ask if we wanted sauces never came back to ask if all ok same when paid
The roast & yorkshires didn't seem home cooked
Won't return

3 Thank Janlyn0
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Real ales have improved greatly, but what about the hand-rails?”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The previous uncaring manager had run things down to the ground, with tired, listless beer that was decidedly off. Abbot Ale used to my favourite, and my partner's, which was always on stillage; but I learned never to ask for Abbot, having experienced a number of bad pints. However, Stuart, the new manager, is a real ale enthusiast and has improved the quality and the quantity of beer no end, for which he deserves to be congratulated.

The Tredegar Arms is a minefield for those with mobility issues, with several steps to be negotiated. There's a couple of steps before you can see what ales are available at the bar, with NO hand-rails. I took a bad fall on these steps, breaking my arm and missing an important appearance at a major festival - and I hadn't even had a drink. The pub is owned by Greene King, who have garnered a questionable reputation on disability rights. Handrails are very vital and are very cheap to install, but I received a blunt refusal. The one friendly staff member told me that Stuart was going to take this up with some unwieldy management set-up, but I shouldn't hold my breath. And all for a pair of cheap hand-rails!

I trust Stuart to pull the Tredegar Arms back from the abyss - so long as he doesn't get despondent by appalling negative management and leaves!

2 Thank Mick T
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Keep walking/driving past to next pub”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Food is overpriced and rubbish, has been for a long time. If it didn't have a good beer garden I would never go there again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alx060
TredegarArms772, General Manager at Tredegar Arms, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Alx060

Sorry to hear that you think the food is rubbish, we are working very hard to maitian the better standard of food we are serving in the pub and on the whole the comments from the customers are very positive please contact me in the pub if you would like to disscuss any comments about the food service you have etc.

Thanks
Newport, United Kingdom
“Average. Really, really average.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you are looking for a pub with a warm welcome - look elsewhere. On arrival we were greeted by a notice which threatens a £60 fine for failing to leave vehicle details at the bar, and I'm afraid that it never really got any better after that. Interestingly the notice also threatens a £60 fine for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a blue badge. As a disabled driver I applaud the sentiment - unfortunately the Tredegar Arms doesn't appear to have any disabled bays so the point is rather moot.

The two meals we ordered (one lamb-steak and one curry) were OK, could have been warmer but they were edible. Although judging by the time we had to wait for them to arrive (34 minutes), my guess is that they had been stood somewhere for a while. I would hate to think how long we would have waited if the pub had been busy.

As we were leaving I enquired about a disabled toilet and was told that they don't have one. Really? In 2014 you can't provide an accessible toilet?

I can think of half-a-dozen pubs within a 10-minute drive from here where I can get better food, better facilities and a warmer welcome. I won't be rushing back to the Tredegar Arms.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank lefthanded99
TredegarArms772, Manager at Tredegar Arms, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hi

Thank you for youyre comments regarding the parking etc, I have passed these on to head office, we dont take anyones registration number as I am happy for whoever in the local community to use our car park, I am at the moment talking to my boss to see if we can take these signs down, I have also passed on youre comments regarding the disabled facilties etc, when you next visist the pub please feel free to come and disscuss any ideas or comments you may have.

Thanks