“Celtic manor growng into a fancy center parks”

and 1 more site!
The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Im a big supporter of this place having delivered the ryder up to newport in 2010. The hotel is huge with i am told 80% occupancy on average. A choice of restaurants to suit most pockets. Ranging from the olive tree at 30 quid fir a running buffet of all sorts upto the terry m's a la carte restaurant.
The hotel has transformed over the years into a leisure complex. Outdoor tennis, archery, lazer tag (indoors) the most elaborately designed pirates crazy golf or put put as its known. Usual spa treatments and gyms. On op of that a mini shopping mall in basement of hotel and golf aplenty on some great courses. Good value offers from as little as 79 quid for a stay in the old lydia beynon hospital house(manor house) upto 99 in the hotel proper. One is quaint , one is modern. Go for he olive tree dinner if it works out better that way. It does a very good job of retending its a well to do exclusive hotel which really is made for the masses and tries to appeal to all comers. Which it does very well!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Manor House at Celtic Manor

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have stayed at the main resort in the past and had a fantastic experience. The Manor House is seriously disappointing in comparison. Its a trek to the main resort, and actually, a bit of a trek to the room from reception, we ended up using the stairs to our room as it was faster and seemed safer than the clunky lift. The room was fine, modern and tidy,
but we had no running cold water from our bathroom tap so had to resort to filling up from the bath tap for a drink of water (to be fair, I didn't inform the staff of this until we checked out). Drinks in the bar after dinner were abysmal, it was old fashioned, slow and the staff didn't have a clue how to prepare some fairly basic drinks. The Irish Coffee went back, it tasted awful, we waited 20 minutes for it to be prepared so we were pretty disappointed. I understood that my replacement bottle of beer would be on the house, only for the bill to arrive with a beer charged and I was informed the Irish Coffee was on the house! My wife had a bloody Mary, it cost £10, we may as well have ordered a glass of tomato juice as the other elements including alcohol seemed non-existent. The manager was fairly confrontational about the whole thing when I questioned the bill. Breakfast in the morning was fairly poor, some elements ok, some pretty awful, the black pudding was as dry as a rice cake. All in all, it's not exactly a cheap stay, with the room, food and drinks we spent about £225, I wont be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Have to admit my room was fine, reasonably modern and clean, even has two flat screen TV's, one for the bed and one for the sofa, but my problem was how disconnected it felt from the main resort.

Decided to eat at the main resort and felt very, strange walking through the corridors and the deserted conference venue area's via 4 escalators to get to the main resort.

The main resort was devoid of atmosphere, so after eating (which was fine) decided to head back to the bar at the Manor to get a drink at the bar, so a long walk and 4 escalators later found that the bar and restaurant at the Manor were closed. Couldn't face the trek back the the main resort again, so gave up and went to bed.

Nice to see free wi-fi though, I knock a star off any review these days if wi-fi isn't free.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I much prefer this part of the hotel to the more modern part it has a great feel and look to it.. Will be back again. The rooms are spacious and clean and the bed is really comfy ....Service is very good

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as part of a conference and I wouldn't go back in my own time. Upon arrival, getting more than one word answers from the reception staff was virtually impossible. They also didn't seem interested in helping me when I asked a few questions about parking and the conference, which was being held in the main Hotel.

The corridor near my room was littered with beer bottles and coke cans. My room itself was not what I expected it was not clean either. The cupboards ceiling was missing and had water pipes visible, with more leftover rubbish. There was also stains on the carpet, which were visible as soon as I entered the room. The bathroom had mildew around the bath, the walls had toothpaste on them and the sink had no plug and the plunger (for the plug) on the taps was missing. The mirror was also dirty?

It was warm in the room and when I put the air con on I thought the large unit was going to come off the wall , it sounded like an aircraft taking off.

I certainly wouldn't stop here again and wouldn't have put up with it if it was not a work event.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at The Celtic Manor, the last two visits about 3 years ago were pleasurable, but it has obviously seriously gone downhill since then.

The check-in time we were given was 4.30, which is unusually late and resulted in most of the guests turning up at that time to check-in. There was only one member of staff at the reception, who was unbelievably slow, and took 15 minutes to check each guest in. My husband is unable to walk any distance and has a disabled car badge. All the disabled parking spaces were taken and so I advised the receptionist at check-in that we had parked our car outside the disabled area, but where it wasn't blocking anybody. The receptionist asked whether we had notified them that my husband was 'disabled' when I booked in. I said I didn't think it was necessary as he can walk and they had lifts. We were then informed that the lift was broken so we would have to walk with our luggage to our room on the third floor. The receptionist could see that this was clearly going to be a problem, but did not try to find a room on a lower floor, and would not even get anyone to help us carry the luggage up to our room.

Once in our room, I opened the wardrobe to hang my dress up and saw two neatly arranged bath robes inside, however one of these robes was filthy with make-up stains around the collar. It was very evident that instead of washing this robe it had just been neatly re-arranged back in the wardrobe. If they were prepared to skimp on the washing of clearly dirty bath robes, I was concerned that the towels might also be unwashed, and just re-folded. I went reception to draw their attention to this, they made little comment about it.

Outside our room was a disgusting mess with old pizza boxes and lager bottles piled up in the corridor (see photos), which one wouldn't expect in a hotel of this quality, and were still there the following morning.

We went to a wedding during our stay here and were shocked by the cost of the drinks at the wedding bar (some of which were curiously more expensive than in the hotel bar), with a small glass of warm, cheap champagne costing £10.40, and a Bacardi and Coke costing £9.80. All the guests at the wedding were complaining about the cost of the drinks, and those staying at the Celtic Manor were also complaining about having to pay to park their cars in the underground car park, on top of the cost of their hotel room.

Our breakfast was ok, but was disappointed to find that the 'Full Welsh Breakfast' was infact a full English breakfast. A Welsh breakfast is laverbread, cockles, bacon, fried bread/crisp patties etc. and that is what I expected to get.

Based on this most recent experience I shall not be staying at the Celtic Manor again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rainbowoverwales
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Second time in the Manor House, once again same problems with staff being elsewhere other than at the bar. We ate out this time in the Indian Cottage up the road, very nice. Slept OK until 6am when the decorators started sanding down the stairwell next to our room. These refurbishments also mean a major trek from the room on third floor to reception and the breakfast room. Breakfast OK but a bit cold. The 2010 golf course is however amazing as is the reception area for the course and the staff are superb.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the third floor when refurbishment is going on.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chrissyteeps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Coldra Court Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Newport
Hotel ibis budget Newport
#10 of 18 in Newport
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to The Manor House at Celtic Manor? Share your experiences!