“Lunch and a Bump”

The Manor House at Celtic Manor
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I had lunch at Rafters in the 2010 club house yesterday. Fantastic as alway, well looked after and accommodating as always. Stayed at the Hotel and managed to take a bit of a tumble. The crew at the hotel were absolutely brilliant. Patched me up, took me to A&E and even arrange to get me back. Special thanks to Sam Prothero for his company, his wit and his patience. Sam,you were a star last night. 5 star service from a 5 star resort.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Main resort is exceptional and I have stayed there many times. On this visit I had a room at the manor house. Reception service was slow and under resourced on arrival. Kept waiting with problems finding reservation. Whilst room was very good size and well equipped (including four poster bed, two desks and informal seating, it was freezing on arrival. The option was to have a noisy heating system on through the night or a very cold room. If you plan a stay, I would recommend spending a bit more and allowing yourself the proper Celtic manor experience. The staff in the main building were excellent, attentive and plentiful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This I'd my 3rd review of the Manor House. The newly refurbished rooms are terrific and much needed. Its really made the already good hotel even better. Keep up the same standard in the corridors next!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank simon_jones3
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed here with work. Rooms although pricey,of a lovely standard with great view. Great facilites and liked the food. We had buffet dinner as lots of us and was great quality and really tasty. Good Gym and views from the golf course are stunning!

Care re parking as the underground parking is far too pricey!!! there is a car park at the bottom of the hill which is free and the hotel will ferry you back and forth. We paid over £200 per roomper night, if you want to stay here they do some delas to stay with dinner for £150 very good value.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Another great stay in the Manor House.

Enormous room with good facilities. I spent most of the time in the Forum spa,and gym while my partner was on business, which was very relaxing.and the service was excellent.

Looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Booked in for our 35th Wedding Anniversay on the 30th, stayed until 2nd January. Arrived at the Manor House at 2:30 expecting to be told our room wasn't ready as check-in was at 4:00 pm but it was, so went up straight away. Must admit, we booked a king deluxe and it was amazing. Really big, newly refurbished with a flat screen TV and lovely bathroom. Well happy. Went down to the Cellar Bar where we were the only two there. Sat chatting to the barman and watched darts on one of the many TVs down there.

Booked a dinner at the Lodge for 9:00 pm. Have eaten here on previous stays so knew what to expect. Concierge picked us up at 8:40 and took us up there. Good food, attentive service although my husband said the leek and potato soup was no where as nice as the one I make(!). Evening so far spoilt by a table full of noisy children with their families. Luckily, they left after about 45 mins so we could manage to hear each other speak! Concierge collected us at around 10:30 and took us back to the Manor House.

Lovely night's sleep in a very comfy huge bed.

Breakfast was a buffet affair. I prefer the one to one service they used to provide at the Manor House but the food was fresh, hot and plenty of it.

Walked through to the Resort which took about 5 mins at a leisurely stroll. As you would expect at that time of the year and with Winter Wonderland still on-going, there were loads of children. Unless I have missed something but I really think there should be an adults only bar. We had one drink and something to eat and decided to go back to the Cellar Bar at the Manor House for peace and quiet and yes, to watch the darts on the TV.

Had my nails done in the Spa. Very nice staff and good value for money.

New Years Eve was a buffet at the Olive Tree. We booked the 7:30 sitting and were immediately served with our drinks and the buffet set-out was explained to us. Plenty to choose from and must admit my plate was rather piled up with different foods! The Magician spent some time with us, chatty and we thought the trick performed really clever (still trying to work out how he did it ...).

Left there for our evening entertainment at Merlin Bar. It was crowded not only with Olive Tree diners but residents too who had not had a meal. I thought the Bar would have been reserved just for diners. A waitress managed to sort us out somewhere to sit, settled down to enjoy the live entertainment when a huge group came and sat next to us with their children (same ones as at the Lodge?). Totally out of control, running around setting off balloons and chasing them to wherever they landed and I mean "wherever they landed". I saw a few people complain but no difference. Unfortunately (or fortunately in the circumstances) my husband was violently sick and we had to return to the room for the rest of the evening to see the New Year in.

We did not book the black tie event as we knew we wouldn't have eaten most of the food and it would have been a waste of money but I really think there should be a time limit for when children are allowed in a bar or an area allocated just for families or adults only.

From what I heard of the two lads entertaining everyone, I thought they were very good albeit must have found it hard to make themselves heard above the racket.

To sum up, loved the Manor House as always. Staff immensely helpful and friendly. Room service (for the next day when hubby ill in bed) outstanding and even though we did not want to be disturbed by the room cleaners (for want of a better description), the young lady provided us with plenty of tea, milk, sugar and biscuits.

New Years Eve at the Resort let us down. Needs to be organised better.

Room Tip: Had room 201. Spacious and newly re-furbished.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Booked 2 nights in The Manor House, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day Night
From arrival to departure the experience was very disappointing.
The poor experiences ranged from booking in to checking out.
Also,
Room not ready. Arrived about 6.30pm, it should have been.
A general lack of communication pertaining to what was happening or was going to happen within the Manor House.
A lack of essential signage.
EG.
No lift signs.
No escalator signs.
No pool signs.
Etc.

Breakfast...
Replenishing of food slow, with some guests complaining of food going cold on their plates whilst waiting.
The bar in the Manor House closed by 7.00 pm on Christmas Day Night. No explanation given. The only bar open was in the main resort.
I had booked The Manor House specifically to avoid going into the main resort building.
No choice now!
Had to sit with all the noisy families and their noisy children, who seemed to be allowed the run of the place, screaming, shouting, and climbing all over the furniture with impunity.
Only two good things about the stay.
The Patio Restaurant food very good, and staff efficient and courteous, and my room was at the rear, so motorway noise was kept to a minimum.
I realise now the Celtic Manor Resort is so called because, it feels like Blackpool on a Bank holiday.
Anyone looking for a bit of class will be sorely disappointed.
I will never return there, and will never recommend it to anyone, unless they happen to be of the "chav" class.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank littlebrosna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Travelodge Newport Central
Holiday Inn Newport
Holiday Inn Newport
#8 of 18 in Newport

Been to The Manor House at Celtic Manor? Share your experiences!