“Exactly what you expect!”

Holiday Inn Express Newport
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 25 September 2013

After spending the previous night in an off-brand "Spa", "charming" hotel (also knows as "a dump" in expert circles), the standard of Holiday Inn Express and the IGH chain were very welcome. It is exactly what you would expect in a HI Express - a solid offering that delivers everything you need, and nothing you don't, at a price acceptable to the wallet. However, I must say that the staff were excellent, very friendly and competent - resulting in a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel. Very clean and tidy. Staff are pleasant and friendly. Buffet breakfast is average at best. Beds very firm which we found uncomfortable. Overall a good cheap overnight stay for a concert in Newport. Hotel is a ten minute taxi ride into town (£7.50 one way) and despite being on a business park there is a good pub next door. Cheap and cheerful and ok for a one night stay!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The great thing about a Holiday Inn Express is that you get what you see. Smart, modern and functional accommodation at a competitive price. The Newport branch does exactly that. A lovely big car-park and nice clean non-smoking rooms. A little basic, yes, but definitely a step up from a Travel Lodge. Given its out-of-town, business park location, it’s not surprising that it attracts the business customer. This makes for a peaceful stay on a Mon - Fri. On the weekend, however, things do change. Whilst a perfectly adequate and civilised breakfast is available each morning, prepare yourself for a chaotic free-for-all on a Sat - Sun. In the short-term, the hotel might benefit from a few more staff on duty at peak times; but in the long term, it might want to re-think the layout of the buffet area. Top tip? Get up early and avoid the masses. All in all, HIE Newport is a perfectly good hotel and this minor niggle about the breakfast bun-fight shouldn’t put you off coming to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the car park are a lot quieter. Just don't expect a view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel is very good value. I am new to this chain and it struck me as well designed and well run. It is on a business park, however there was a friendly welcome and good size spotless room. I liked the choice of pillows, air con and free wifi. The tv had lots of radio channels which is a bonus. The breakfast was self service but was refilled with good options, but only sausage and no bacon which was a little odd. There is a good Italian restaurant round the corner bizarrely next to a Greggs and a hairdressers.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013

When booking in was greeted by very friendly staff,it was warm and welcoming,the rooms were very clean and comfortable and spacious. The breakfast was good,the only downside to it was the hot items were limited only 3 items but otherwise the rest was great.The overal hotel was warm,friendly and very welcoming.I would definatly recommend it to anybody

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
LeePrice01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a comfortable stay at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you thought breakfast was good, we're always looking at ways in which to improve our breakfast, the one key positive about our breakfast is that it is free in all Holiday Inn Express Hotels.

I will pass your lovely comments onto our team and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Many thanks

Philippa Ebdon
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed one night on business and this hotel was outstanding. Booked direct at a rate of £58 and the hotel was spotless. WIFI actually worked (hasnt at other holiday inn's) lovely appointed room and suitable bar/lounge. Cafe and Greggs nearby. Breakfast was standard Holiday inn fair but better than other ones I have stayed in. Cant beat it for value.
Only gripe - put a plug near the bed for your phone Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I booked this hotel as I always stay at Holidayinns on business. My business in that area involved working late. I pre-booked a week before on the net and confirmed my arrival time in the afternoon on the day of my stay. I was promised that my room was guaranteed no and would be waiting for my arrival in the early hours.
At eleven pm I received a telephone call to my mobile from the receptionist at the hotel informing me that my room was no longer available and that I would be moved to another hotel of their choice. I advised this lady that I had the booking confirmed that afternoon by phone but she then advised me that their policy was to allocate rooms on a 'First come, first served' basis.
You can imagine how annoyed I was and I told her that I didn't accept this move. She told me that there was nothing else they could do for me except book me into another hotel for that night.
I was allocated a PremierInn and because the booking was made very late by the Holidayinn staff, I was given the only room they had left which was next to reception.
So, having worked until the early hours and feeling very exhausted I was then disturbed by all the other guests checking out from 6am onwards.
Since this incident I have learnt that many Hotels carry the same policy of over booking in the hope that they will gain more revenue.
I hope from this review other members will be more aware of this hotels policy on late arrivals and their so called guarantee? In fairness they did pay for my room at the other hotel BUT if I had wanted to stay at another hotel then I would have chosen to do that myself!
I later received an apology from HolidayInn saying that they appreciated my loyal custom and recognised my PLATINUM membership status. Oh yes, REALLY???
The hotel even offered me a free stay the next time I was in that area - but let's see, would the booking be honoured? or would it be allocated to someone else prior to my arrival.
Having spent thousands of pounds at HolidayInn's all over the country I certainly am reviewing my Loyalty to organisations like theirs.

Room Tip: Arrive early and leave your luggage, that way they shouldn't cancel your booking for reasons of...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sugarsugarUk
LeePrice01, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our hotel, I am sorry to read that you were disappointed and frustrated with being booked out from our hotel and feel we let you down in the service that we delivered. I assure you that we do value our loyal customers, and I really hope that this experience will not deter you from using our hotels in the future.

Kind Regards