“Gorgeous, tasty, well presented food - Excellent quality. Recommended !”
Review of The Ruperra

The Ruperra
Ranked #6 of 428 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Newport, GWENT
“Gorgeous, tasty, well presented food - Excellent quality. Recommended !”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Four of us ate here at lunchtime. The food was gorgeous, beautifully presented. The lunchtime menu is very reasonable. The portions were very generous. Not one of us could finish our main. We were so impressed with service, standard of food and overall friendliness of the pub we booked there and then for our Christmas lunch :-) ... Not that any of us will be waiting that long though !

Newport, United Kingdom
“The Ruperra - great food, great beer, great meeting place”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Ruperra ticks the right boxes – great food, great beer, great meeting place!
Having sampled the Ruperra’s wonderful flavours and tender roasts from its Sunday menu, I was eager to find out if the weekday dinner choices matched Sunday lunch for quality and dining experience. The answer – an unequivocal “Yes!”
Those preferring to eat early in the evening (5pm to 6.30pm) have the option of the Ruperra Early Bird Menu offering a choice of three starters, three mains with fresh desserts available from the board. A package of two or three courses is very reasonably priced. Later diners, or those preferring a wider range of dishes can opt for the A La Carte menu comprising starters, contemporary mains, vegetable mains, the grill option and a separate dessert menu.
Choosing to dine after 6.30pm I opted to ‘mix ‘n match’ from the Early Bird and A La Carte. To start, I had the classic French bistro dish, Moules Mariniere. The plump, tender mussels drenched in a rich peppery flavoured sauce, redolent of garlic, was quite the best Moules dish I’ve ever tasted! That alone is enough to entice me back to sample more of the Ruperra’s delights! For mains, I chose the Duo of Beef – a 6oz rump steak set alongside an award-winning oxtail and wild mushroom pie, served with a generous portion of roast vegetables. Absolutely superb – very tender with delicious flavours that lingered long enough on the palate to become memorable.
I passed on the dessert menu, but on some future visit I’m sure temptation will prove too great to resist!
As a beer drinker, a couple of pints of Bombardier premium bitter was my favoured beverage from a choice four real ales. It was perfect.
Verdict: food – outstanding quality; presentation – top marks; service – very friendly, courteous, helpful and efficient; atmosphere – warm and welcoming. The Ruperra is growing an enviable reputation as a pub serving great food, great beer and it’s a great meeting place!

Newport Gwent
“Very Good Pub Grub”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Went here for the first time yesterday. We had two very good three course meals plus two rounds of drinks for £48. I saw it as very,very good pub grub. Big portions well cooked and all very tasty. Wide choice on the menu. Presentation and service something they are obvioulsy paying attention to. Almost gastro pub in style but distinctly non-pretentious and very reasonably priced. Can see myself coming here regularly particularly as I live around 200 yards away

Newport, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

First visit to this great pub. I was looking forward to eating here after reading and hearing so many good review and I wasn't disappointed. The food was really nice and well presented. The staff are very friendly. I would definitely eat here again and recommend everyone to try it.

Surrey, UK
“Thank goodness for 'under new management'!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having had a couple of really unsatisfactory meals here in the last couple of years I vowed to not go back but when looking for somewhere near Bassaleg for a family lunch on a Friday recently, my brother recommended the Rup,after another recommendation. He said it had changed hands and was apparently now very good.
Decided to give it one last try and thank goodness we did, what a find! All 7 of us had different and thoroughly enjoyable meals presented both artistically and with interest and careful thought. I had the cider battered cod and chips and I swear I will never eat a chip as good as those ANYWHERE!
The children really enjoyed both the choice on their menu and the food also.
The service was friendly, attentive and not speedy but not slow either, to be honest any wait would be worth it.
2 of our party have since been back for Sunday lunch and found that to be faultless too.
Highly recommended, looking forward to being back in Wales yo visit again.

• Visited May 2014