“Ok Rooms but a poor location”
Review of Gateway Hotel

Gateway Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Reasonable room and good value at £70 b&b, but an odd set up. There are a number of buildings and I was in a building in the back yard. no sense of security as only your room door to the outside world and this does not seem to be a very nice part of the city.

Receptionist suggested walking down the road to the right as you leave the hotel for restaurants. A very unpleasant experience, certainly not recommended for solo travellers.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank HenryStanley

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Adequately comfortable accommodation in central Newport, although not the cleanest rooms. Good breakfast but not great value compared to other local hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is the second time that I have stayed at The Gateway Hotel, Newport. From the friendly welcome, to the quality of the room and amenities, everything about my stay was first class.
First, the price of just £30 (including breakfast!) was unbelievable. My room was in the annexe, which has been completely modernised. My room was en-suite, with high-powered shower with plentiful hot water.
The flat-screen TV with a good selection of channels, together with tea/coffee-making facilities, coupled with free wi-fi, meant that I had all the amenities that I needed.
And the full English breakfast, which was cooked to order, set me up for the day.
All in all, I think The Gateway Hotel is excellent value for money and I would thoroughly recommend it. I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank GeorgeGreen
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stayed here for one night in May and was very pleasantly surprised.

I arrived late at night and this was not a problem. The boy who checked me in was friendly, polite and efficient.

The room was very clean and comfortable. It was nicely furnished, with a nice flatscreen TV and it was very homely. I wasn't really expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it was as I was paying a low price. Although it was on the side of a main road, it was quiet and I got a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was also a very enjoyable. It was a nice breakfast room and a good choice of food on offer. I had a good cooked breakfast, which for the price I was paying, was very good.

If I ever need a hotel in Newport again, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Managed to get this for £45 for a night. Fantastic reception (Nadia) and the room in The Gateway Express was brilliant - two huge twin beds and excellent furnishing and carpets.
Bit noisy as it's on a main road but didn't notice as the room was so comfortable.
Go to the Dodger's pub just down the road - best pub grub ever and huge portions.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martinquila
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Neither this hotel nor Newport is a place I would choose for a holiday, but on this emergency visit to the passport office it fitted the bill extremely well.
The staff were very courteous when we checked in at gone 10pm and very friendly at breakfast.
In the room some of the fixtures and fittings were a little loose and rattly, but my teenage son reprimanded me for being critical because as he put it: "The staff are trying hard and trying their best" - and everything did actually work. The room was large, the beds were comfortable. Basic but fine.
So there you are, mixed bag. I hope they do smarten this place up a bit, but on balance I would use it again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We paid just under £100 per night for a 6 night stay during the Ryder Cup - this didn't even include breakfast. The room was really small and cramped, and needed a lick of paint to get rid of the scuff marks on the walls. Furniture was shabby - chair ripped with padding falling out, and there appeared to be no 'finishing touches', with bare walls and curtain tie backs lying on window sills, instead of being fixed to the wall.Not enough room or hangers for clothes. 'Cleaning' consisted of emptying the bins, making the bed and re folding towels. Our room was overlooked by what appears to be the owners accomodation next door, so would benefit from having some blinds fitted for privacy.
On the plus side, there was free internet access (broadband and wi fi) and lots of power points. The biggest plus point for this hotel are the staff who were extremely pleasant and accomodating.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple