“Never again!”
Review of The Times Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
The Times Hotel
Ranked #31 of 39 Swansea B&B and Inns
“Never again!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Absolutely shocked, paid the same price as tudor court and had such a bad experience, tudor is by far ten times better! Bad service walking in, dirty beds, sinks, floors, bath, toilet, floors, glasses, dust everywhere a bad smell, 3 beds crammed into a tiny box room, creepy feel about the place, everything is far too cheap tacky and outdated, the only good thing was the breakfast and that was probably tesco value food, would never choose this hotel again!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank hannahthomas16
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
I am sorry that your stay was not to your expectation but if it was as bad as you say it was why didn't you tell us and we would have done everything to resolve the problem. You booked in early afternoon and we were very polite and even joking with you when you booked in so i don't know where the unwelcoming part came from. You stayed in your room until late drinking so if it was that dirty why didn't you complain to us because all we heard was your laughter so we assumed you were having a good time. You all had full English breakfast and extra fresh orange juice because you were all hung over and you still have the cheek to say the breakfast was good but probably Tesco value which i can assure you is not. You say you stayed at the Tudor court and that's 10 times better so why didn't you book back in there ? You were nice and friendly to our face but then you write this. IF IT WAS THAT DIRTY I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD BREAKFAST OR STAYED IN MY ROOM FOR ABOUT 8 HOURS BEFORE GOING OUT I WOULD HAVE COMPLAINED..
We did however have to tell you to be quiet in the early hours because of your loud laughter but even then we were polite in asking you. I don't know where the creepy came from because the house was full and not empty and secluded. We have had new carpets fitted throughout the landing apart from the entrance and the rooms are in the process of being freshly painted so maybe that was the smell your on about because there can be no other smell unless another guest was smoking which is not allowed.
Your review has been noted and we will check to see if anything needs sorting but as i say we are in the process of decorating so any findings shall be rectified.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Blackwood, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I would never stay there again they would after pay me to stay there again it was no warm welcome at all they say the bar is open you go there and its not open all the time im staying there the pictures on the internet is no where near the true state of the place the photos of the room showing on the internet are the one the owners use its crap. you atto wipe your feet on the way out its the £25 i have ever spent do not stay there please dont

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Neil W
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
The bar is open at 5.30 it was earlier and he came with a friend and it was his friend who asked if the bar was open and was told only guests are allowed in the bar. If it was after 5.30pm we would have opened the bar for him. Om arrival he asked how much a twin was but his friend said it dosn't matter so he obviously intended the both of them to stay for a single price. If he wasn't happy all he had to do was say and we would of given him his money back but they both went out drinking within 5 mins. We keep the bar door closed because passers by sometimes walk in and as I say we are only licensed to serve paying guests. Bar opening times are on the bar/lounge door.
We are also in the process of redecorating and fitting new carpets.
Some of the bad reviews have stated they've stayed in other places on Oystermouth road and were better so if so as I have said before why not go back there.
I am sorry he wasn't happy with his stay and as I said we are in the process of upgrading but out of curiosity take a look at some of the reviews he claims he has stayed before that take group bookings and maybe you will see why he didn't go back to these places along with other reviews that have mentioned the same places.The website pictures are true pictures it is illegal to publish pictures that arn't yours he just didn't have one of the rooms showed or see the bar/lounge and breakfast area.
Your review has been noted.

Travellers are raving about these Swansea hotels

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This Guesthouse is probably the most unwelcoming guesthouse I have ever step foot in. The rooms filthy and disgusting so are the attitudes of the staff! When I asked for a refund because I just couldn’t bring myself to stay because it’s in such a state I was bombarded with verbal abuse and threatening behaviour!!! I was called names and made to feel extremely uncomfortable. I wasn’t even offered and apology let alone my money back. The attitude was what you’d expect from, well to be quite honest I have never experienced attitude like it. It was appalling. The most disturbing thing about the overall experience was the state of the room. I was dingy and dark the toilet stunk of urine, the duvets where heavy with years of built up filth, as were the pillows. The sheets were filthy. The skirting boards were inch thick with dust and the bathroom was full of grime and toilet roll everywhere. The bathroom mats smelt like they had been marinated in urine!! The smell throughout was stomach churning. I couldn’t open my window to get some fresh air because there were pigeons nesting on my window sill and the roof, the roof was covered in bird faeces over 4 inches thick, possibly more, smell coming from that was absolutely rancid. When I first entered the guesthouse there was someone cooking in the kitchen with topless and I saw a cat walking on the worktops. This should’ve been my first red flag but I didn’t intend on eating there and in all fairness I thought things could only get better… How wrong was I??? I can honestly say hand on heart I have seen cleaner dog kennels and wouldn’t even let a pet of mine spend the night or even set foot into this guesthouse. I didn’t stay there myself! No effort was made at all to apologise or even clean the filth. I went next door to a higher quality guesthouse where the sheets were clean and customer satisfaction was a priority not a chore!!!

Room Tip: I have noticed this has been a topic on here before... and the only positive comments seem to have t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Louford12
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
I am not going to make any excuses about this review apart from giving you the facts as they happened. Everything was fine until a back room key was given and unfortunately there is no view and yes there is a pigeon problem but that goes with all the guest houses down here so when the ones who had the back rooms wanted to leave they all did and their attitude was appalling in the way they behaved in asking for there money back which then got us angry and unfortunately we allowed ourselves to retaliate to their level. They threatened to smash the windows, take the Tv's and do all sorts of damage and write reviews about us so this review is not a surprise to me.
If they have stayed in other guest houses as a group in the past as was mentioned why didn't they go back and stay in one of them because it wasn't busy down here and one of the guest houses they said they stayed at in the past is 3 times the size of us so why not go there ?
They were here for about an hour before we had to call the police because they were outside and inside all screaming and shouting at the same time which made it impossible to even try and have a proper conversation with them. They had all been drinking so obviously that didn't help and arriving at different times also confused the issues about who was sharing with who.
I admit things could have been handled a lot better but even when i told them to keep the noise down because we had other guests they refused to be quiet.
When they walked in drinking cans i should have known it was going to be one of those nights but it was a birthday party so we expect that but manners would be to drink in your room not when booking in and don't they know there's a law against drink driving.
No cat was in Kitchen but we do own a cat with the aim of scaring the pigeons and the boy who was in the kitchen with no top on was my son who has Celebral Palsy and there's no law about a boy being topless on a Summers day, normally he is fully clothed so this was a rare occasion seeing how bad the weather normally is but i can see that this would not look very good and for this i apologise.
Having said that we will still take on board all that has been said and will strive to make the place more accommodating starting with refusing to take new group bookings apart from our regulars who are no trouble and come down for stag, hen and birthday parties.
Cardiff, Land of the Dragon
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at The Times Hotel recently after finding it was marginally cheaper than the B&B I usually stay in when I'm in the area. It's based centrally on Oystermouth Road which is lined with other B&B's, and is in a great location for accessing both town and the Mumbles. The owners seemed friendly and helpful throughout our stay, but unfortunately that's where the positives end.

This isn't somewhere I would think about staying again to be honest, and similarly I would not recommend. Upon inspection of the room, my partner and I found it to be quite unclean in places. The bedside table was flithy with a thick layer of dust and rings from glasses. The bedsheets, although clean, seemed old and uncared for. The room itself, despite being a family size room, seemed dingy and small. The chairs and table in the window alcove was a nice touch, but didn't make up for the general air of uncleanliness throughout. The windows themselves seemed dirty on both the inside and outside. The carpet in the room was almost threadbare and I felt a little dirty standing on it. The owners had tried to cover it up with rugs but it is clearly visible in some places. The tea and coffee facilities they advertise, consisted of two stray teabags which had been left on a dusty plate by the kettle, no sugar, coffee or milk provided. I'm not sure if the room had been cleaned recently and these things had simply not been replaced, or if they just didn't offer them. Similarly, there were no towels for our stay which I think is a basic thing to provide in a room. However, they were happy to provide these upon asking.

The room also had an en-suite bathroom. Much like the rest of the bedroom, the en-suite also felt similarly uncared for. The floor had some sort of lino put down but it crunches as you step on it! It is not at all pleasant. We struggled to find any hot water for the two nights we stayed so ended up taking some very brisk cold showers!

The breakfast on both mornings was however, lovely. The lady owner served us both times, and was friendly to us throughout. The only option seemed to be a cooked breakfast, but that suited myself and my partner just fine. Everything was hot and freshly made.

Overall, despite some positives, there is room for a lot of improvement.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sweetmisery1984
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
I have taken your review on board and would like to apologise if you found it not to your standard but if you had told us whilst you were here we would have done everything in our power to make your stay more pleasant. We supply towels and soap at reception which is clearly stated along with irons and hair driers. We always ask what would you like for breakfast stating full English as the most popular choice but should you like something smaller like cereal or what ever you fancy again all you had to do was ask but i can see that maybe a breakfast menu would be more helpful and i shall be looking into that to give guests a choice without assuming they have to have a full English. I have bought new carpets for the landing and some of the rooms which will be laid shortly, front rooms tend to get hot and bleach the carpet in the window bay area hence the rug.
Once again my sincerest apologies and i hope your stay didn't spoilt your break to much
england
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed with my work collegue because i was working in the area and found the place suited our needs perfectly. Breakfast started at 6.45 but we had to be at work by 7 am so the owners let us have breakfast earlier at 6.15 to give us chance to have breakfast and get to work which was very helpful, was offered a cheaper rate without breakfast but i enjoy breakfast so was offered the earlier time. The breakfast was delicious and for £20 each for an en-suite room what more could we ask for.
We had access to a pc and the owners were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble even faxing documents for us at no charge.
Will deffinately be back if working in Swansea again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for your kind review and i am glad you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to seeing you again if ever your back in the area. Best wishes and thanks.
Pontnewydd, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This Bed and breakfast is by far the worst place I have ever stayed costing 60 pounds for a 3 single bed room which was the size of my garden shed the milk and sugar was out of date and the plate it was left on was stinking, the bed covers were dirty, the carpet and lyno flooring was all coming up off the floor and underneath it was mould and damp. As I opened the window the stench from there rat infested and pigeon swamped back garden turned my stomach. Usually I would not go this far to say stay away however when the door was being banged down at 11 35 am saying wake the (--) up you have to be out by 12 by the owner I was angered. Unfortunately as I work for kgbdeals who specialise in travel and accommodation deals I will ensure this place NEVER appears on any of these sites as it was completely appalling. p.s the beds are flea infested

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luke B
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
The person who wrote this is seriously out of order the room was stinking but only after they left the place. They were noisy, up and down the stairs all night but seeing as it was new years night we said nothing. Booking out time is10.30 but we let them stay until 12 giving them a knock at 11.30 to wake them up but we didn,t swear at them.They chucked food and tomato sauce all over the place and had the cheak to say it was the worse night of his life......Seeing as he didnt go to bed till about 5.30 am ide hardly call it a night because he was out for most of it and was probably to drunk when he came in to remember anything. All of there party was messy. I agree the room is small but they were happy to take it when they booked in because it was a last minute booking, 4 was booked originally but 8 turned up, we only had the room because of a late cancelation but im sorry i took them because they were absolute pigs, fake tan over walls, ceiling lamps pulled out and lost keys. I am sick of having to defend myself when people behave abysmally and then have the cheak to complain. £20.00 per person is not expensive for a new years eve night we don't double our prices like some places. I am not going to apologise for him not enjoying his stay it should be him apologising to us for his and his partys terrible behaviour. Our cctv shows them running up and down the stairs running riot maybe he should look at himself before critisising others........He says he works for Kgbdeals......HIS EMPLOYERS WOULD BE APPALLED IF THEY SAW HIS BEHAVIOUR
Ash Vale, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We spent 2 nights at The Times Hotel, last week and we totally enjoyed our stay. We had a very warm welcome and was happy with our room, breakfast was lovely, place was clean and the owners very friendly, looking forward to revisiting soon!!! Have read some of the bad reviews and to be honest they can not be more further from the truth, a friendly, cheep and welcoming place to stay what more could you want ?, maybe if they tried the hotel a few doors down like we did then their review would be understandable and correct.

Room Tip: Fantastic view from room 10 !!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words, it was a pleasure having you stay with us shame the weather wasn't better.