The Times Hotel
US$113
US$102
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The White House(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$107
US$100
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Swansea M4(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$64
Travelodge
Premier Inn Swansea Waterfront Hotel(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$92
PremierInn.com
US$84
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
US$118
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Have posted pictures of the state of the do called en suite,which in my booked should be a step up from standard. I wouldn't even rate this as average. Sorry rotten hole that hasn't been cleaned in months. Shower cuts out of someone else runs water in the hotel. Dust from floor to ceiling. Went to check out early and once explained or reasons and showed photos. We had to call the police cos the manager turned aggressive and was threatening a fist in our faces. Manager is a vile and violent person. Avoid this place like the plague.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Joshua W
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

I am looking into this review because there is something not right with these comments and pictures. They booked in for 2 nights and asked if we take gay couples because they have had trouble in the past we said of course we do we gave them everything they asked for and were curtious throughout. One of them came downstairs into the bar for a drink and we didn't even charge him because he couldn't be bothered to go upstairs to get his money the other one locked himself away in the room. They came down for breakfast which they ate all up and we even give them an endless supply of Orange juice, we were overly nice to them because of there gay issues which seemed to be an issue with them they only live a mile from us. They stayed in there room for the duration of there stay not leaving the room once. We had to knock the door in the morning to ask if the bin needed emptying and if the wanted more tea bags/coffee ect. THEY SAID THEY WERE FINE AND JUST ASKED FOR MORE TOWELS AND TEA, MILK,SUGAR. That was the last we saw of them until around 5pm when the shower cut off. We had a full house and workers were staying and all used the showers at the same time hence the water being drained but it comes back on quickly and was boiling. We couldn't get into the room to clean it, they placed all the dirty tea bags into the tray, they made the mess in the bathroom they were looking to be vindictive. I did not raise my fist to them once but i did raise my voice because one of them was talking to me appallingly. They called the police and the police took them away. How can someone stay the best part of 2 days and act nice with no issues to our face and then do this. If it was that bad why stay in there room constantly, have breakfast, have endless tea/coffee and not ask us to clean their room ?

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Absolutely shocked, paid the same price as tudor court and had such a bad experience, tudor is by far ten times better! Bad service walking in, dirty beds, sinks, floors, bath, toilet, floors, glasses, dust everywhere a bad smell, 3 beds crammed into a tiny box room, creepy feel about the place, everything is far too cheap tacky and outdated, the only good thing was the breakfast and that was probably tesco value food, would never choose this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank hannahthomas16
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

I am sorry that your stay was not to your expectation but if it was as bad as you say it was why didn't you tell us and we would have done everything to resolve the problem. You booked in early afternoon and we were very polite and even joking with you when you booked in so i don't know where the unwelcoming part came from. You stayed in your room until late drinking so if it was that dirty why didn't you complain to us because all we heard was your laughter so we assumed you were having a good time. You all had full English breakfast and extra fresh orange juice because you were all hung over and you still have the cheek to say the breakfast was good but probably Tesco value which i can assure you is not. You say you stayed at the Tudor court and that's 10 times better so why didn't you book back in there ? You were nice and friendly to our face but then you write this. IF IT WAS THAT DIRTY I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD BREAKFAST OR STAYED IN MY ROOM FOR ABOUT 8 HOURS BEFORE GOING OUT I WOULD HAVE COMPLAINED..
We did however have to tell you to be quiet in the early hours because of your loud laughter but even then we were polite in asking you. I don't know where the creepy came from because the house was full and not empty and secluded. We have had new carpets fitted throughout the landing apart from the entrance and the rooms are in the process of being freshly painted so maybe that was the smell your on about because there can be no other smell unless another guest was smoking which is not allowed.
Your review has been noted and we will check to see if anything needs sorting but as i say we are in the process of decorating so any findings shall be rectified.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I would never stay there again they would after pay me to stay there again it was no warm welcome at all they say the bar is open you go there and its not open all the time im staying there the pictures on the internet is no where near the true state of the place the photos of the room showing on the internet are the one the owners use its crap. you atto wipe your feet on the way out its the £25 i have ever spent do not stay there please dont

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Neil W
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

The bar is open at 5.30 it was earlier and he came with a friend and it was his friend who asked if the bar was open and was told only guests are allowed in the bar. If it was after 5.30pm we would have opened the bar for him. Om arrival he asked how much a twin was but his friend said it dosn't matter so he obviously intended the both of them to stay for a single price. If he wasn't happy all he had to do was say and we would of given him his money back but they both went out drinking within 5 mins. We keep the bar door closed because passers by sometimes walk in and as I say we are only licensed to serve paying guests. Bar opening times are on the bar/lounge door.
We are also in the process of redecorating and fitting new carpets.
Some of the bad reviews have stated they've stayed in other places on Oystermouth road and were better so if so as I have said before why not go back there.
I am sorry he wasn't happy with his stay and as I said we are in the process of upgrading but out of curiosity take a look at some of the reviews he claims he has stayed before that take group bookings and maybe you will see why he didn't go back to these places along with other reviews that have mentioned the same places.The website pictures are true pictures it is illegal to publish pictures that arn't yours he just didn't have one of the rooms showed or see the bar/lounge and breakfast area.
Your review has been noted.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This Guesthouse is probably the most unwelcoming guesthouse I have ever step foot in. The rooms filthy and disgusting so are the attitudes of the staff! When I asked for a refund because I just couldn’t bring myself to stay because it’s in such a state I was bombarded with verbal abuse and threatening behaviour!!! I was called names and made to feel extremely uncomfortable. I wasn’t even offered and apology let alone my money back. The attitude was what you’d expect from, well to be quite honest I have never experienced attitude like it. It was appalling. The most disturbing thing about the overall experience was the state of the room. I was dingy and dark the toilet stunk of urine, the duvets where heavy with years of built up filth, as were the pillows. The sheets were filthy. The skirting boards were inch thick with dust and the bathroom was full of grime and toilet roll everywhere. The bathroom mats smelt like they had been marinated in urine!! The smell throughout was stomach churning. I couldn’t open my window to get some fresh air because there were pigeons nesting on my window sill and the roof, the roof was covered in bird faeces over 4 inches thick, possibly more, smell coming from that was absolutely rancid. When I first entered the guesthouse there was someone cooking in the kitchen with topless and I saw a cat walking on the worktops. This should’ve been my first red flag but I didn’t intend on eating there and in all fairness I thought things could only get better… How wrong was I??? I can honestly say hand on heart I have seen cleaner dog kennels and wouldn’t even let a pet of mine spend the night or even set foot into this guesthouse. I didn’t stay there myself! No effort was made at all to apologise or even clean the filth. I went next door to a higher quality guesthouse where the sheets were clean and customer satisfaction was a priority not a chore!!!

Room Tip: I have noticed this has been a topic on here before... and the only positive comments seem to have the same themes for defence throughout. It's clearly the hotel staff trying to anonymously gain a shred of dignity. Maybe if you spent a little more time cleaning the hotel and working on your customer service skills you'd have more positive honest genuine feedback. I have stayed in a few hotels on Oyster Mouth and I have always left satisfied with both the service and the cleanliness of the hotels. As for the line “The Times is one of the few hotels that take in stag and hen do’s”. This is a complete lie. I have stayed in the Archers Hotel and they will take in big groups. The surrounding hotels knock spots off Times and they are all roughly the same price. After I left I went a spoke to a few of the surrounding hotels to see if I was the only person who had this sort of experience with them because if I was I wouldn’t have written a this sort of review. Not surprising that I am not. According to the surrounding business and a few of the local people they seem to make it a regular thing to be abusive to their customers and welcome them with and attitude that stinks more than the rooms!!!! I am a customer service manager and no matter how a customer has spoken to you should never act the way you and your husband act. You are trying to run a business that will leave a lasting positive impression on your customers for goodness sake!! You should treat any guesthouse, hotel or B&B as if it was your home, I would be absolutely mortified if someone walked into my house and it was in the state your hotel is in even more so if I had the attitude you have. The both of you are disgrace and should really consider getting some customer service training and hiring a TEAM of professional cleaners. If less time is spent retaliating to these reviews in a negative abusive way and more is spend listening and making improvements because lets be honest all these people can’t be wrong, you’re attitude might improve along with the standard of your hotel. Maybe you ought to try that?? To some up. This guesthouse is dirty, filthy, disgusting and smelly to be complexly honest it’s a health hazard. The customer service is non-existent, attitude is threatening and the atmosphere is extremely unsettling. I wouldn’t subject my worst enemy to stay the night here. For you’re for the safety of your health DO NOT STAY AT THIS GUESTHOUSE.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Louford12
phillip t, Owner at The Times Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

I am not going to make any excuses about this review apart from giving you the facts as they happened. Everything was fine until a back room key was given and unfortunately there is no view and yes there is a pigeon problem but that goes with all the guest houses down here so when the ones who had the back rooms wanted to leave they all did and their attitude was appalling in the way they behaved in asking for there money back which then got us angry and unfortunately we allowed ourselves to retaliate to their level. They threatened to smash the windows, take the Tv's and do all sorts of damage and write reviews about us so this review is not a surprise to me.
If they have stayed in other guest houses as a group in the past as was mentioned why didn't they go back and stay in one of them because it wasn't busy down here and one of the guest houses they said they stayed at in the past is 3 times the size of us so why not go there ?
They were here for about an hour before we had to call the police because they were outside and inside all screaming and shouting at the same time which made it impossible to even try and have a proper conversation with them. They had all been drinking so obviously that didn't help and arriving at different times also confused the issues about who was sharing with who.
I admit things could have been handled a lot better but even when i told them to keep the noise down because we had other guests they refused to be quiet.
When they walked in drinking cans i should have known it was going to be one of those nights but it was a birthday party so we expect that but manners would be to drink in your room not when booking in and don't they know there's a law against drink driving.
No cat was in Kitchen but we do own a cat with the aim of scaring the pigeons and the boy who was in the kitchen with no top on was my son who has Celebral Palsy and there's no law about a boy being topless on a Summers day, normally he is fully clothed so this was a rare occasion seeing how bad the weather normally is but i can see that this would not look very good and for this i apologise.
Having said that we will still take on board all that has been said and will strive to make the place more accommodating starting with refusing to take new group bookings apart from our regulars who are no trouble and come down for stag, hen and birthday parties.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at The Times Hotel recently after finding it was marginally cheaper than the B&B I usually stay in when I'm in the area. It's based centrally on Oystermouth Road which is lined with other B&B's, and is in a great location for accessing both town and the Mumbles. The owners seemed friendly and helpful throughout our stay, but unfortunately that's where the positives end.

This isn't somewhere I would think about staying again to be honest, and similarly I would not recommend. Upon inspection of the room, my partner and I found it to be quite unclean in places. The bedside table was flithy with a thick layer of dust and rings from glasses. The bedsheets, although clean, seemed old and uncared for. The room itself, despite being a family size room, seemed dingy and small. The chairs and table in the window alcove was a nice touch, but didn't make up for the general air of uncleanliness throughout. The windows themselves seemed dirty on both the inside and outside. The carpet in the room was almost threadbare and I felt a little dirty standing on it. The owners had tried to cover it up with rugs but it is clearly visible in some places. The tea and coffee facilities they advertise, consisted of two stray teabags which had been left on a dusty plate by the kettle, no sugar, coffee or milk provided. I'm not sure if the room had been cleaned recently and these things had simply not been replaced, or if they just didn't offer them. Similarly, there were no towels for our stay which I think is a basic thing to provide in a room. However, they were happy to provide these upon asking.

The room also had an en-suite bathroom. Much like the rest of the bedroom, the en-suite also felt similarly uncared for. The floor had some sort of lino put down but it crunches as you step on it! It is not at all pleasant. We struggled to find any hot water for the two nights we stayed so ended up taking some very brisk cold showers!

The breakfast on both mornings was however, lovely. The lady owner served us both times, and was friendly to us throughout. The only option seemed to be a cooked breakfast, but that suited myself and my partner just fine. Everything was hot and freshly made.

Overall, despite some positives, there is room for a lot of improvement.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sweetmisery1984

I have taken your review on board and would like to apologise if you found it not to your standard but if you had told us whilst you were here we would have done everything in our power to make your stay more pleasant. We supply towels and soap at reception which is clearly stated along with irons and hair driers. We always ask what would you like for breakfast stating full English as the most popular choice but should you like something smaller like cereal or what ever you fancy again all you had to do was ask but i can see that maybe a breakfast menu would be more helpful and i shall be looking into that to give guests a choice without assuming they have to have a full English. I have bought new carpets for the landing and some of the rooms which will be laid shortly, front rooms tend to get hot and bleach the carpet in the window bay area hence the rug.
Once again my sincerest apologies and i hope your stay didn't spoilt your break to much