“Visit this house with for a special event or tour”

Dylan Thomas Birth Place
Ranked #14 of 122 things to do in Swansea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The house in which the late Welsh poet Dylan Thomas was born and lived with his family for the first 23 years of his life. Enter Dylan Thomas Birthplace and you go back in time to when the Thomas family bought No 5 as a new house in 1914 just a few months before Dylan was born in the front bedroom. Soak up the atmosphere of the house in which he lived for 23 years and wrote two thirds of his published work The Dylan Thomas Birthplace is unique in that it allows you to stay in the house as a visitor. When you book the house you have exclusive use during your stay. The house has a growing reputation for introducing new literary and musical talent from both Wales and the rest of the world. The house is open for visiting every day from 10:30am to 4:30pm and the relaxed journey takes you through the beautifully restored rooms to give you an insight into life in the Edwardian era and a perfect starting point to discover just how Dylan was inspired by "...this sea-town..." Phoning or emailing ahead is advisable, as on occasion the house is utilised for overnight stays, dining experiences and other events which will mean the inability to carry out house visits at times where advertised. We do of course, apologise for any inconvenience which may be caused in these instances.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is the birthplace of Dylan Thomas and a tour of the entire premises is available, but the foundation also has a number of special events here that include performances of his works, buffet luncheons in the home, cocktail affairs, etc.

1  Thank cosmo144
There are newer reviews for Dylan Thomas Birth Place

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our guided tour of this incredibly atmospheric house. We gained a fascinating insight into Dylan Thomas' life up to the age of 23. Our guide was Clive, a good-natured, relaxed, knowledgeable volunteer and we were also fortunate to meet Geoff Haden, the delightful local businessman who bought and refurbished the house. My husband and I had booked in advance, probably a wise move as tour times are limited, although lots of people seem to turn up on spec. Can't get over the fact that it's possible to stay there and use all the facilities. We didn't, but we might!

1  Thank Linda T
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Drove through the Uplands to return to my old home which was 4 doors away from Dylan Thomas house. My car struggled with Cwmdonkin Drive and I shuddered at the thought of regularly climbing this hill. His house is near the top on the corner with Hillside Crescent ( where I lived), and there is a blue plaque on the building to mark his birthplace. I didn't stop as I was afraid to on that incline, but drove into Hillside Crescent and followed the road round and back down Cwmdonkin. My friend remarked on the fortitude and health of the women carrying shopping up that hill every day. Indeed my own mother did so as did most women in the 50/60s. As few drove cars. He lived in a very nice semi which would have made him "posh" compared to most of Swansea and his parents obviously belonged to the better off middle classes which somehow doesn't sit right with his writings.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We turned up in Swansea at the birthplace of Dylan Thomas pretty much on spec, as I had read online that the house was run by voluteers and tours were not always available. We rung the bell and a nice Gentleman answered and said he'd just started a tour but was happy to show us round in an hour or so. We agreed to return at 1pm and set off round the corner to Cwmdonkin Park where our kids played on the swings and myself and my wife had a nice cream tea.

On returning to 5 Cwmdonkin drive we were once again greeted by Matt Hughes who invited us in for what was to be the most interesting couple of hours I've ever spent in a place of historical interest. The house has been lovingly restored by the owners, to its original condition when the Thomas' and there son Dylan lived there. Nothing in the house is roped off or behind glass, everything is as though you're just visiting a family home. My two boys aged 6 and 9 were included in all the coversations, and Matt's (the guide) enthusiasm, and knowledge of the Poets life and work made it a not to be missed experience for any fan. If you're not a fan of Dylan Thomas already, you'd certainly leave 5 Cwmdonkin Drive inspired to delve into his work.

I was amazed to find out that this incredible experience is brought about by private ownership and not in any way connected to Swansea Council or Tourist Board. We are members of the national trust and came away thinking that some of there houses could learn a thing or two about the way things are done at The Dylan Thomas Birthplace. Finally we paid £20 for the whole family for a 1 1/2 + hour tour, During which we were allowed to take photos and learnt a huge amount about a facinating man. I would have happily paid double for what was for us a priceless, unforgettable experience.

1  Thank a w
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A group of us visited and were met by Matt who gave us a lovely welcome. We were taken into what would have been the parlour in Dylan's days. Before sitting down we immediately raided the dish of sweets. Matt has an amazing knowledge of Dylan's life and works. We then viewed the house and gardens. In every room Matt gave us more information, relating to that room. It truly is like wandering through someone's home. Well worth a visit.