Devon View Guest House
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Morgans Hotel(Swansea)
View Hotel
All reviewssea viewshared bathroomswansea baysingle bedsea frontpleasant stayswansea universitystayed one nightcity centrefew minutes walktop floorwould stay againguesthousesinkpubs
Reviewed 23 February 2014

the couple who had the guest house were so friendly and helpful. lovely breakfast. clean and tidy homely . we had a sea view it really pays. not to far to walk to shops. beach right across the road just right. .the bed was so comfy.

Room Tip: sea view a bit special
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
josephcarrfrost, Owner at Devon View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

thank you for your review. it is great for us to feel we have served our guests in such a way that they are happy. we look forward to you returning. take care.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I required accommodation with printing facilities as I am a lawyer and I need to be able to produce documents for use at court at short notice. With this in mind, my partner emailed Devon View on my behalf almost a month in advance of my stay. The title of her email was 'Printing enquiry' and it made an enquiry as to room availability and included the passage 'A key consideration will be printing facilities'. She received a response shortly thereafter which included the following two sentences: 'we can make our printer available if you place all files for printing on a memory stick'; and 'please note that depending on the amount to be printed we may need to recover ink and paper costs'. Happy with this response I asked her to book a room on my behalf which she did.

The day that I was due to arrive I rang up to let them know when I would arrive (as requested). I sought to arrange in advance a fee for using printing facilities and it immediately became apparent that there was a degree of reluctance to print my documents. I was told that I would not be able to print documents before 9.00 am (precisely when I would need to print them). During this conversation it was suggested that I buy 'a cheap printer'.

I arrived that night and immediately needed to print documents that I had been working on on the train. This was reluctantly done, but in a manner that suggested that I would not be allowed to print any further documents.

The next evening I approached the manager to find out whether or not I would be allowed to be able to print any more documents. I was told that I would not and that I was being 'unreasonable'. I asked what it was about my conduct and behaviour that had been unreasonable and no explanation was given. I reminded the manager that I had made it clear several weeks in advance that printing was a key consideration and I was told that I had not specified how much printing I would require (I found this a bizarre response - clearly it was likely that I would be doing a substantial amount of printing given that I had said it would be a key consideration and, in any case, surely it was incumbent upon Devon View to say so if there was a maximum amount of printing that I would be allowed to do). I asked whether it would be better if I left and went to stay at alternative accommodation with printing facilities. I was told that I could but that I would still have to pay for my room.

Throughout my exchanges with him I found the manager to be unnerving, aggressive, unreasonable and rude. I was flabbergasted not to have been given access to printing facilities in circumstances where I had made it clear weeks in advance that this was a key consideration. In my opinion it was disingenuous to suggest that printing facilities were available in the first place. Further, not to have been allowed to leave when it became apparent that printing facilities were not available was, in my opinion, disgraceful. As a result of this situation I was unable to do my job in the way that I would have liked.

This is without doubt the worst experience I have had in a guest house, hotel, hostel, etc., and I have stayed in a great many. Indeed, I have never previously made an entry on trip advisor but have felt compelled to do so in these circumstances.

The guest house itself was run down and the pressure in the toilet in my room was such that toilet paper had to go in the bin and, even then, it did not flush properly requiring me to pour several kettles of water down it each time I wished to flush it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank BLH12345

ouch! what a comprehensively unhappy time you spent with us. being a lawyer you are well aware of the futile nature of responding within this format in a negative way so all we can say is we are surprised at the review but leave it to your comments and scores to illuminate any reader as to your intentions in the comprehensive nature of the review.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights while in Swansea. It could not have been more cozy and just what we wanted. The view is amazing, the food good, and Alison is lovely and was very helpful.

This is a guest house, so be prepared for the stairs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

thank you for spending the time in doing a review of your stay with us. it is always great to receive a good review and we look forward to you returning if you get the chance. kindest regards.

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this area a few times now and this must be one of the cleanest yet comfortable rooms,good f portion's of food made feel welcome by staff will be booking in here again all things catered for thanks mick

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

thank you for such a good review. we do appreciate it when guests spend their time doing this and we try very hard to make guests feel welcome. hopefully you can return soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Came down for the weekend to visit daughter." Nov 23rd" Wanted somewhere close to the university where she is studying. Choose Devon View Guest House as we have stayed there before. What another great stay. This time we had a sea view room with en suit. The sea view was fantastic as we sat in the chairs in the bay window as the sun was out. Room was very clean. Breakfast was excellent. Staff so friendly.
A big thank you to Alison & Angela who made us so welcome.

Room Tip: choose a front room if you want an excellent sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family