“Clean,tidy, friendly”

Devon View Guest House
Ranked #31 of 39 Swansea B&B and Inns
“Clean,tidy, friendly”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Location is fab! Just opposite the sea! The breakfast is totally fantastic! Owner is so friendly and lovely! Room has the basin. The only thing which is not perfect, is you have to share the toilet. But the toilet is so clean, so it is not a big matter for me! Excellent experience in Swansea.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was our first visit to Swansea and the Devon View had some great reviews. The location was great, right opposite the sea and only a view minutes walk from the shops. Our bedroom was lovely, spacious, clean and tidy and had a sea view. Our hosts were very friendly and sociable. Breakfast was excellent with a great choice and very filling! Although there is no parking on site there is plenty of parking locally. We would highly recommend the Devon View Guest and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the en-suite sea view room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
west midlands
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have been travelling and working in Swansea for the last 5 years and was reccomended to stay at the Devon View. I must say the level of service here is second to none. Clean rooms, very friendly and helpfull hosts who will always go thast extra mile to help make your stay an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Front rooms all have a view of the beach
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nodgeWestMidlands
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

the couple who had the guest house were so friendly and helpful. lovely breakfast. clean and tidy homely . we had a sea view it really pays. not to far to walk to shops. beach right across the road just right. .the bed was so comfy.

Room Tip: sea view a bit special
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
josephcarrfrost, Owner at Devon View Guest House, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
thank you for your review. it is great for us to feel we have served our guests in such a way that they are happy. we look forward to you returning. take care.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I required accommodation with printing facilities as I am a lawyer and I need to be able to produce documents for use at court at short notice. With this in mind, my partner emailed Devon View on my behalf almost a month in advance of my stay. The title of her email was 'Printing enquiry' and it made an enquiry as to room availability and included the passage 'A key consideration will be printing facilities'. She received a response shortly thereafter which included the following two sentences: 'we can make our printer available if you place all files for printing on a memory stick'; and 'please note that depending on the amount to be printed we may need to recover ink and paper costs'. Happy with this response I asked her to book a room on my behalf which she did.

The day that I was due to arrive I rang up to let them know when I would arrive (as requested). I sought to arrange in advance a fee for using printing facilities and it immediately became apparent that there was a degree of reluctance to print my documents. I was told that I would not be able to print documents before 9.00 am (precisely when I would need to print them). During this conversation it was suggested that I buy 'a cheap printer'.

I arrived that night and immediately needed to print documents that I had been working on on the train. This was reluctantly done, but in a manner that suggested that I would not be allowed to print any further documents.

The next evening I approached the manager to find out whether or not I would be allowed to be able to print any more documents. I was told that I would not and that I was being 'unreasonable'. I asked what it was about my conduct and behaviour that had been unreasonable and no explanation was given. I reminded the manager that I had made it clear several weeks in advance that printing was a key consideration and I was told that I had not specified how much printing I would require (I found this a bizarre response - clearly it was likely that I would be doing a substantial amount of printing given that I had said it would be a key consideration and, in any case, surely it was incumbent upon Devon View to say so if there was a maximum amount of printing that I would be allowed to do). I asked whether it would be better if I left and went to stay at alternative accommodation with printing facilities. I was told that I could but that I would still have to pay for my room.

Throughout my exchanges with him I found the manager to be unnerving, aggressive, unreasonable and rude. I was flabbergasted not to have been given access to printing facilities in circumstances where I had made it clear weeks in advance that this was a key consideration. In my opinion it was disingenuous to suggest that printing facilities were available in the first place. Further, not to have been allowed to leave when it became apparent that printing facilities were not available was, in my opinion, disgraceful. As a result of this situation I was unable to do my job in the way that I would have liked.

This is without doubt the worst experience I have had in a guest house, hotel, hostel, etc., and I have stayed in a great many. Indeed, I have never previously made an entry on trip advisor but have felt compelled to do so in these circumstances.

The guest house itself was run down and the pressure in the toilet in my room was such that toilet paper had to go in the bin and, even then, it did not flush properly requiring me to pour several kettles of water down it each time I wished to flush it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank BLH12345
ouch! what a comprehensively unhappy time you spent with us. being a lawyer you are well aware of the futile nature of responding within this format in a negative way so all we can say is we are surprised at the review but leave it to your comments and scores to illuminate any reader as to your intentions in the comprehensive nature of the review.
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights while in Swansea. It could not have been more cozy and just what we wanted. The view is amazing, the food good, and Alison is lovely and was very helpful.

This is a guest house, so be prepared for the stairs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
thank you for spending the time in doing a review of your stay with us. it is always great to receive a good review and we look forward to you returning if you get the chance. kindest regards.
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this area a few times now and this must be one of the cleanest yet comfortable rooms,good f portion's of food made feel welcome by staff will be booking in here again all things catered for thanks mick

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
thank you for such a good review. we do appreciate it when guests spend their time doing this and we try very hard to make guests feel welcome. hopefully you can return soon.