“Golden Wedding Gift”

The Dragon Hotel
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Swansea
“Golden Wedding Gift”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked for 2 nights the beginning of June, a nostalgic trip as we had both worked at the Dragon more than 50 years ago when it was a Trust House Hotel. Our daughter had e-mailed the Reception Staff who gave us a warm welcome, allocated us a very nice room and a complimentary bottle of wine with our meal at the Brasserie. The friendliness of the staff and interest in our well being was the highlight of our stay. Our room was comfortable and adequate, the central position with parking a plus. While we enjoyed our meal it was typical of bar meals. More attention might be given to the menus and maybe a make over of the Brasserie to improve on comfort and ambience.
As retired Hoteliers we realise how difficult it is to be right 100% of the time! We enjoyed our stay. Many thanks to the staff.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dragon_Hotel, General Manager at The Dragon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Congratulations on your Golden Wedding Anniversary! Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

After searching for hotels online to find they were all fully booked, the Dragon had rooms available, at £92 each our 3 rooms were booked and we were all exited for a hotel stay with a pool. On arrival the reception was clean and elegant, the Manager on duty was pleasant enough and we hopped into the lift exited for our stay.

It was short lived, the room was small which we can deal with, but the claims "recently refurbished" are not strictly true, recently "bodged" is more like it. We we noticed the poor quality finish on the room. Feeling warm we opened the window to find it was in no uncertain terms "stinking" surrounded with grime in and around with window, there are marks on the walls, dirty stains on the lamp shades, mould in the bath, towel rail and door stops hanging off the walls and overall it was unclean.

The 3 rooms were made up as singles (despite being selected as 2 double 1 single) so we ventured in search of an extra cup and towels after the reception button on the phone does not work and we were getting ready to go out for a meal. The receptionist made us get our own cup, but as for the towels "can it wait until after 6 as i have a staff coming in", the time was now 4pm and we wanted to get ready, we declined and she said she would bring them right up. "6.05 the towels arrived meaning we were cutting it fine".

Hoping for the best in 3 sub-standard rooms we were hoping for something special at breakfast... haha oh were we wrong. On walking in a Waiter who clearly was not in the mood to work greeted us not with good morning, but "wait over there i have no tables yet", after 15 minutes he returned, to apologise about the wait? no! "what are your room numbers" then he walks off coming back only to say "sit over there on that table, we will make it up around you", this was not isolated, there were numerous comments about this from the other guests now queuing to get onto one of the empty, dirty unlaid tables cluttered with the last guests plates.

Overall the breakfast was poor quality sausages, there was no bacon, it was not restocked while we were there, likewise all other items were disappointing. The older lady serving us however was lovely. But our friend the waiter made eye contact as we were leaving and completely blanked us walking out. how we long for a "have a lovely day, thank you".

This was £300 WASTED, stay in the Village, Grand or even the Premier Inn rather than here, Avoid the Dragon as you will feel unvalued, ripped off and in the way. I will upload my photos of the room in due course. I can no see the reason why this was the only hotel with rooms in Swansea.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Richard F
Thank you for your feedback. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards during your stay, and for that I sincerely apologise. I shall be addressing the performance issues in no uncertain terms and please note that we are hoping to replace the hotel's windows very soon.

Travellers are raving about these Swansea hotels

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is situated in the centre, with parking. Standard rooms are adequate ,the décor and design is a little tired but I had a decent nights sleep. Hotel has a small ,well equipped gym and a large indoor pool plus sauna. Good buffet breakfast , did not have an evening meal here but the brassiere menu looked reasonable. Staff helpful and polite. I would use for again for business trip. The Madeira restaurant , a short walk across the road was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is our fourth visit here and this time I was a little disappointed. The superior room - room 405 - was at the front, ok we could make allowances for the traffic but underneath our window on the roof of presumably the units let underneath was what looked like an air conditioning unit which was very noisy and woke you up through the night. Sheer bliss when it went off for a while and then back on again. Breakfast was disappointing in that staff seemed more keen to clear tables than take your order we had to ask for bread to be replenished and toaster had a mind of its own - either hot bread or burnt. Location is perfect and no doubt we will give it another try

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dragon_Hotel, General Manager at The Dragon Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I'm so sorry to learn of your diappointment, especially since you are familiar with our usual standards of service and rightly could expect better. Thank you for your feedback which we will use to ensure a return to normal.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked a twin room with breakfast for a treat for my mum and i . I asked for an early check in and the hotel meet my needs . Upon check in I was asked for my debit card so that a reserve amount of £160 could be taken . The receptionist then said my card had been declined , confused by this as there was adequate funds in the account i gave a different debit card for my joint account . A further £150 was then reserved . My mother and i then went upto to our room , which seemed clean but smelled a little bit so i opened the window and we Un packed and went for a walk around swansea town . I went to nationwide to check the declined cards account and the funds showed as balance to be £160 higher than the available amount . This difference could only be what the Dragon hotel had reserved . My mum and i returned to the hotel to explain that the money was pending to be taken from my account and the declined card had actually gone through . The head reptionist told me that the hotel hasn't taken any money as the receipt shows declined and in so many words it was out of their hands . After showing the statement print out of the pending £160 difference on my account she decided we'd call Nationwide . The gentleman at the end of the phone explained the card had gone through and that the amount was pending to Myself and the receptionist . Then she decided to do a completion transaction using the same authorisation code and take what i at the time owed the hotel £105 leaving £55 to go back to my account . She told me this would happen within a hour . Of course we checked and this wasn't the case , after talking to the same receptionist again I decided to wait till morning and check again . In the morning I checked and still no change . Went to speak to again the same receptionist and was told procedure had be followed . I went to the nearest Nationwide who looked into my account and said they could see the £160 pending but no completion of £105 so therefore no change . They called a department who deal with this and we're told to ask the hotel to fax that they only were taking £105 and that the remains funds would be returned to me ASAP . If this wasn't done it would take 10 days or more . This was done by the receptionist eventually after they phoned the atm provider and everything to check where the discrepancies laid . Also a £55 goodwill gesture was offered by head of housekeeping ( another story ) . On returning home the £55 remaining has gone into my account but no £55 refund as yet . As for the Joint account £150 no change there but could take upto 10 days . ...... Further to the above problem , the bathroom in our room 305 was in need of a better clean . The toilet smelled strong of urine and under the rim was thick with harden black scum. the grout on tile was black with mold and looked all water stained . The upvc around the windows again black mold and generally dirty . Head of House came to the room admitted lack of attention to a properly cleaned room and offered the £60 refund . It's laughable it took the head of housekeeping to offer this considering the above . ..... Also eating at the Brassiere , firstly a boring Un inspired menu I'd call everyday food . It's over priced and portions are questionable , dare you asked for something other than on the menu as simple as bread , olive oil and balsamic vinegar then it causes massive confusion and the seem put out . Also try and ask for a starter as your main obviously a larger portion and the chef will rudely snap " they can have it but pay a main course price , double the starter price " . When our main meal arrived the portion was ridiculous , and when we complained it took 3 attempts to receive some what a expected reply . But the head Brassiere supervisor offered us the main half pricec as he believed a mistake had been made . ... The food at the Brassiere is nice but nothing special and breakfast in the restaurant upstairs is poor to my first stay in the hotel 4 yrs ago . ... Based on all the above , our stay was unforgettable for not so fabulous reasons and i wouldn't recommend this hotel or stay their again .

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Salj1977
As I mentioned in our corespondence whilst assisting with the banking issue, I'm very sorry for the issues during your stay. Throughout your time and indeed, beyond it, we have endeavoured to assist and to serve you to the best of our abilities and we appreciate your feedback.
Blackburn
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was on a golfing trip with a group and had no part in arranging the accommodation. The room 416 in my case, was a small double, it would be very small for two sharing, I had opted for a room of my own. Storage was just adequate and the flat screen TV included sky sports, great for male guests. Tea and coffee making equipment was provided and lovely shortbread biscuits. The bed was ok but not the most comfortable ever. The bathroom was first rate with a simple to use shower over the bath. On arrival I requested an upper sheet for the bed, with duvets you are just covered or uncovered, hot or cold, hate them on their own! This was delivered with alacrity and charm. In fact all the, predominantly Welsh staff were most personable especially the lovely reception staff. It did not feel like an impersonal chain and I commend the management for it. Breakfast was cooked to order and the choice was very good except for Sundays, when obvious reduction in demand are reflected in the hot buffet under heaters and limited side table provisions, eg fruits and breads. The hotel has excellent secure parking on site and is brilliantly positioned for walking to the city attractions. My room was spotlessly clean and a tip was left for the chambermaid, the unsung heroes of the hotel industry, to reflect this and the fact that my upper sheet did not disappear the first time the bed was made.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy according to some of our party ask to see the size of your double be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, I'm delighted to learn of your enjoyment and have ensured the team hears your thoughts.
London
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on an exploratory trip.
Handy for the City.
Rooms are tastefully decorated and modern and breakfast is good.
My room had a wet patch on the carpet next to the bed, I guess it was freshly cleaned and not had time to dry..
Your guess is as good as mine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family