“A bit of a mixed bag” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Swansea
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“A bit of a mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

The Dragon is a well-appointed hotel situated close to Swansea city centre. We visited on Saturday (30 August), staying one night.
Our room was fine, with a very comfortable bed, and all the appropriate facilities; the shower, however, was little more than a dribble.
One minor irritant was that I rang reception and ended up having to leave a message on the answerphone (asking for help with connecting to the wifi system). I had no response.
We had dinner in the hotel. The food was superb, and was matched with attentive, good-humoured service. A really pleasant experience.
Breakfast, however, was a totally different matter. The food was good, but the service was extremely poor. No one seemed to be paying much attention to the fact that the food kept running out - keeping guests waiting for some time before it was replenished. I, myself, spent time waiting for eggs, and ended up eating my breakfast after my wife and friends had finished theirs.
I do agree with the guest who commented on the street noise. It wasn't so bad for us, as our bedroom was on the top floor, but it did disturb our friends.
I think that if the hotel management addressed the quality issues I've raised, this could be an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the top floor.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South East
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stayed in the Dragon hotel on business.

The location is good as the hotel is conveniently located for the station (about 10 minutes walk). The check in was friendly and efficient and I was impressed that the receptionist flagged me as having visited before.

The room was very clean with a large comfortable bed and a bathroom with bath and shower. I did find the controls for the bath and shower a bit confusing. The room was on a high floor but there was a fair amount of traffic noise.

Dinner was good in the hotel restaurant. The food was really well prepared and served. I had the beefburger and then a particularly nice dessert with mango and pineapple in.

The breakfast was ok but a bit sloppy on detail. My companion ordered boiled eggs with toast cooked to order. This arrived without the toast and she was expected to find the toast for herself rather than having it provided.

Checkout was also fine and they called a taxi and made a number of helpful suggestions.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Me and 4 of my friends stayed in the Dragon Hotel in one of the suites. The suites are very large with an amazing king size bed and lots of space. There is a living area with two sofa beds. Two televisions in the room and the bathroom is very modern. Lots of mirror and dressing space. Breakfast was lovely and staff friendly. Very luxurious hotel right in the centre of town. Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just got back from the Dragon Hotel. The hotel had lots to offer with leisure and Spa facilities. The Staff were very friendly. The room was an adequate size very clean with plenty of hot water for showers.
Unfortunately my biggest memory of the stay is the horrendous traffic noise that was constant throughout the night which meant I had no sleep for the two nights I stayed. This could be rectified by the installation of a glazing panel over the window. Due to this and this alone I probably would not return to this hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at the Dragon for 2 nights from Thursday 7th August. I go down to Swansea every August for a few days to meet up with family and always stay at a convenient hotel. This year I decided to stay at the Dragon for the first time in many years.

The Dragon is centally located and despite the car park only being small I was always able to find a space. The reception and restaurant staff were superb and nothing was to much trouble for them. I drink redbush tea and was pleased to find that this was available.

The only moan I would have was about the leisure club. I wouldn't really call it a gym as it is very small and only has limited facilities. The moan though was the way I felt I was spoken to by one member of the reception staff. It was first thing in the morning and as a guest not knowing where things were I found her attitude curt. I then asked a question about the chest press they have. The weights instead of having a weight on were just numbered 1,2,3 etc. I asked what weights they were and was told they were either 2.5kg or 5kg. Personally I feel that this is something that she should have known and if she didn't have said I'll find out for you.

Apart from that no complaints at all about the hotel. I can only comment about breakfast as far as food goes and would have liked to have seen hash browns available but thats just a small point as the food and service were great.

All in all hope to see you again next year when I come down.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Denbigh, Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We arrived on Sunday 17th Aug and departed on Friday 22nd Aug. not once were the sheets changed & the room wasn't vacuumed. I would make the bed each morning because that's what I've always done however they would normally still strip the bed & re do it ... Not at the Dragon.
There was mold around the top of the bath. I could go on but would run out of space. The room looked more like a Travel Lodge, no wardrobe doors & no drawers to put your clothes in, had to leave them in the case. The hand held shower head was useless, water just tricked out of it so you couldn't use it to wash your hair. For a 4 Star hotel I would expect a safe, there wasn't one. The carpet had bad marks all over it.
Maybe my standards are high however this is the worst 4star hotel I've stayed in & I've stayed in quite a few. My issues are all related to the room & not the rest of the hotel. The restaurant was fine, breakfast was also fine. We enjoyed a swim in the pool before tea.

Room Tip: As it's in the city centre you here everything that's going on outside, sirens, bin men, tra...
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 747helen

Travellers are raving about these Swansea hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here in Aug 14 with our ten year old daughter, The room was clean, cleaned every day, the pool was great, my daughter loved it, the Sauna was very relaxing, the staff were always helpful, ready to give directions and any requests we may have had.
I cannot understand the bad reviews on here, they simply do not make any sense.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family