Mercure Swansea
US$81
Morgans Hotel(Swansea)
US$145
US$128
The White House(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$67
Priceline
Travelodge Swansea M4(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$62
Travelodge
Premier Inn Swansea Waterfront Hotel(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$76
  • Bar/Lounge
US$77
  • Restaurant
All reviewslovely lakebusiness parkretail parkan industrial estateliberty stadiumplenty of free parkingcity centrepool and gyma bit tiredpleasant stayrestaurant staffbuffet styleweekend breakthe ground floortea and coffeefamily roomcooked breakfast
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I am very surprised at one or two of the comments made in previous reviews. I have just returned home from this Hotel and found all the staff, without exception, to be very pleasant, friendly and very helpful. And that is not only my opinion but that of several people within the large group of which I am one of the members and who all stayed at this Hotel. At no time did we have problems with the service at the bar and the breakfasts were excellent, as previous reviewer has said. I must confess however, that I did not really enjoy our main meal of the day a great deal. The meat always seemed to be rather dry and at our Group's special dinner evening, there was far too much meat and a lot of people couldn't get through it all and so it may be that the surplus beef was wasted. In all other respects the Hotel was absolutely fine and only a short bus trip into the centre of Swansea.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Margot E
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Margot,

Thanks for your kind review.

I was pleased to hear that in general you enjoyed your stay, and will speak with chef concerning your comments around portion size and meat quality.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

The receptionist was friendly and check in fairly efficient, After checking in as I was gathering up my bags she handed me the key folder, I couldn't read the number without getting my glasses out of my bag again and asked what room I was in - she would not tell me!. She said she was not allowed to tell me the number out loud ? Thank fully my partner arrived or I would have had to ask someone else to save me rummaging in my bag. It was inconvenient for me but she made an assumption about literacy - what if someone could not read it ?

There is no lift but it is only 2 floors and she did ask if I could manage the bags so I assume help would be available if needed. The room was clean and a good size, although the hotel was pretty full other than the party people in the room across being noisy coming and going I did not hear any other room noise which is good. The bed was firm

The bathroom has tacky plastic green paneling and its a bit dark but it looks like all the sealant had been recently re done so very clean, nice size bath.

I don't have feather pillows and the 2 that were there were pretty flat, I requested 2 firm non feather pillows, I had a cold and wanted to be propped up a bit, and what arrived was 2 flat very smelly foam ones, they were really unpleasant. I took them to Reception and they said the smell was their fabric conditioner , I was surprised as the rest of the bedding was clean and fresh. I requested that they be changed and that we get a second set of towels as there is only one in the room. We were then told that a second set should be in a plastic bag in the wardrobe - they were :(

When we picked up the replacement pillows they were identical (the same ones) to the first flat and smelly . The reception patrionising and not helpful and said I could speak to the duty manager but it would not make a difference. I put them in a corner of the room and wrapped the towel from the plastic bag around the feather ones.

As I thought breakfast to be expensive at £10pp we went out.
Free parking is available but is it quite far out from Swansea town.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline M

Dear Caroline,

Many thanks for your review. We don't announce room numbers to single female guests as feedback is that this is uncomfortable but as you were sharing this didn't apply. I have today ordered 30 new foam pillows as we were down to our last 10, and as they were stored in the laundry this has affected their smell. The upstairs bathrooms are scheduled to be re done in the new year, so perhaps give us another try next year.

Ian

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My friend and I (both mature and well travelled ladies) have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. We both agreed it was ideal for our needs - good value, clean, welcoming lovely friendly polite staff, surprisingly quiet considering the hotel was full, beds were very comfortable and we slept like logs. The receptionist seemed to work very long hours but managed to smile and quickly sorted out a twin bedded room for us when we found we had a double bed. The person who gave a bad review about breakfast must be mad - everything was there even waffles and a waffle machine - the 'full English' was beautifully cooked and fresh on the hotplate. The bacon went well with the laverbread I had found in a fish shop selling this in the Mumbles (which is a throwback from my wartime visits to Newport to see my grandparents). My friend is a coffee connoisseur and remarked how good our breakfast coffee was. The water in the pool was warm - no good for serious swimmers but great for water aerobics and me. We had a job finding the hotel after a visit to the seafront and centre of Swansea but this was probably our fault. A few signs actually saying Mercure Hotel on various routes might be helpful for folks like us. Did however enjoy a stroll by the lake and the quiet efficiency of the staff. Organisation of the dining room is good especially when you get pushy fellow guests who try and bypass the system to bag the window side tables! Only suggestion for improvement I can think of is the fact you are generous with the teabags and coffee but only supply 4 little milk cartons - if this is the ration - how about some dried milk or coffee mate I do like my late night and early morning drinks - we had to have black coffee. Apart from this miniscule grump - well done everyone. I have already recommended your hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julia K
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Julie K,

Many thanks for your kind review. The girl on the desk doing long hours is normally part of a team of 3 but due to circumstances beyond our control has been the last one standing for a 2 week period so she has done well to keep smiling through. With regard to milk jiggers, next time you are away if you run out of these you don't need to drink black coffee just call down to reception and we would be happy to top these up for you, and I'm sure most other hotels would be the same.Glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay, oh and on the getting lost front, Swansea is a bit complicated road wise, and I got lost the first time I came here so you are not alone !

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Took the daughter to start uni life and wantedto stay somewhere for the night. Got a good deal for this place for the night AND its dog friendly so pooch came with us. Found the hotel in the middle of a trading estate. Good check in service and the room was fine.
The issue I have with this place is the bar/food. Decided to have a pint and a small glass of wine in the bar. The barperson knew I was waiting at the bar but chose to do something far more interesting with some receipts! Eventually he deigned to serve the drinks and then I got charged a tenner for the experience!! There was no one in the restaurant and barely anyone in the bar but a constant steam of people walking in with Tesco bags from the local megastore!
Come Mercure...this hotel would be fine if you trained your staff and charged reasonble prices...you are in the middle of a depressed city on a trading estate NOT in the centre of Mayfair!

• Stayed: September 2013
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Scrumpy,

My apologies for our bar person 'fiddling with recepts' he was merely attaching the printout from the last customer to his room docket, though I have given him advice on making eye contact and getting to the next customer as soon as he can. Our bar prices are price checked regularly (every 3 months) against our local competition, and are in line with other full service hotels in the local area.........., and I can only assume that you havent drunk in Mayfair recently ! As for our 'depressed city'', a somewhat subjective veiw as I've lived all over the UK (including Taunton !) and Swansea is the best place yet.......... ...lovely beaches, great history, the Gower and Breacon Beacons on our doorstep, plus the best pound for pound football team in the land, and I feel sure your daughter will tell you what a great place it is after 6 months or so at our great university. Perhaps give us another try. and I would be happy to direct you to some places in and around Swansea that you would be hard pressed to call 'depressed'

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just a one night stay here en route to Fishguard ferry port. Hotel is something like 5 miles out of the city, in a quiet location. It was easy to find, and had a large free car park. Check in was uneventful.
Room was basic but clean. Breakfast buffet was limited in choise, just about ok (but good coffee).
Didn't take dinner here - went off in the car to the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to review us.

Ian