“Hotel needs upgrading and a good clean”
Review of Mercure Swansea

Mercure Swansea
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
“Hotel needs upgrading and a good clean”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Was checked into room 112 not only did it instantly have a smell to it but there were marks all over the wall paper and chips on the wash basin giving it sharp edges
When I went to open the window it couldn't open and also the window shelf was so dirty I had to go and wash my hands
Went to reception and asked to change rooms and was given 114
The room was slightly better but again the window did not open and the window shelf was all broken and cracked with insects on the shelf
The toilet was not that clean
I then went to the bar area where they had no bottled water so had to go to tesco
There are far better hotels in the area that are clean and I do not blame the staff here they can only work with what they have but this hotel needs upgrading and a good clean and it is all good and well for the general manager to say in here they are often inspected etc etc your best inspector is your paying customer and on this occasion my report was dirty room and toilets and dirty windows and window shelf it doesn't matter what score u had in past it's my stay that counts to me
Having read the responses to many reviews on this site I would kindly give some advice to the hotel less excuses and more action and if you want to see clean rooms with clean windows and clean shelving go to the dragon hotel or the premier inn or the ibis if they can all do it why cant you

• Stayed June 2014
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear SteveWales 44,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and rest assured the points you raised will be addressed by our housekeeping team.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here on June 24th - and in short wasnt a bad stay.

Car park was excellent - with plenty of spaces - so thats a win

Check in was friendly and efficient and had me on my way to my room in minutes.

Upon opening my room (249) one hell of a smell hit me - mould/damp/pee. It was horrendous. Also bear in mind this hotel has no air conditioning in the room, but luckliy i could open the windows wide and it was a warm day. Had it been a raining day - would have been horrible.

I tracked the smell down to the bathroom, and closing the door resolved the situation.

The room itself is lovely and large, with a huge bed - 2 singles zipped together - was pretty comfy too - no complaints there.

The furniture is a little (ok a lot!) dated, but it was clean and tidy so wasnt an issue. The TV in the room was rather small however - esp as it was positioned a far distance from the bed.

One major plus was Mercure have free wifi everywhere - not just in the lobbies. They should be commended for this as far to many hotels (looking at u here Holiday Inn chain!!!) charge excessive amounts for connection.

Breakfast was fine the next morning - nothing special, but definately had everything one would need.

Would go back again - but would prefer to go somewhere a little more modern next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Ursicles,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, and glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and would return.

With regard to the smell in the room, we have nwo tracked this down to a leaking pipe under the bath that was saoking the floor board, and this combined with the heat caused the musty smell. Please accept my apologies as our cleaning staff have noses too, and this room should have been put out of order until this smell was investigated and resolved, though in fairness the room hadn't been occupied for 3 previous days, so possibly smell nuilt up in that time.

All resolved now, and i shall pass on your good comments regarding service you received to the team.

Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for one night due to my work running a training session the next day.

As people have already alluded too, the hotel needs a little modernisation and you can hear people walking up and down the corridors as the floorboards creek somewhat.

Sadly cannot comment on breakfast as stayed in bed as long as possible!! (bed was comfy)

Very Friendly staff

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Petetong 75,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel, and glad to hear that you found all our staff to be very friendly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel is nice, good location and the rooms are spacious. Enormous bed, all the usual facilities. Everywhere was clean. Our room however seemed to be a disabled room, which I have no problem whatsoever with, but there was a handrail right next to the loo and a pull down handrail to the other side which wasn't secured properly and was hanging at an angle. Now I'm not exactly huge but anyone of a larger size, particularly if they had movement difficulties would never have got on and off the pot! I was disappointed with the restaurant. The food for dinner was good when it came, but we waited the best part of an hour for it. No-one explained this particular dish would take that long. No-one came to apologise for the wait, even after being told it would be "5 minutes" and it took another 15. Breakfast the next day - about 4 employees setting up tables in the restaurant. Not one even looked in my direction let alone say good morning! I wasn't asked whether I wanted tea or coffee, so ate and left. To be fair, the customer service manager was excellent and reduced the bill for the late dinner incident. I would stay here again as it's so convenient but some aspects of the service here need to be addressed!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Gillybeans 18,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and glad to hear that despite the service issues you encountered you would stay again.

Please be reassured that the poor service you encountered is not indicative of our normally high standards of care, and steps have now been to taken to ensure that such lapses in our normally high service levels will not re occur.

Thanks once again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcomming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Swansea.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

A very pleasant hotel to stay at. Easy to find and with plenty of parking. The staff are friendly and helpful. The bar area is a shade small but consequently a little crowded when I was last there. Breakfast was very good and the restaurant is very light and pleasant to eat in. Bedrooms are the usual comfortable Mercure standard which is reliable but not exceptional.
I prefer the Mercure over other hotels in Swansea and would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Nige,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Great to hear that like manyregulars 'in the know' you prefer to stay with us than any other hotel in Swansea, and I shall pass on your feedback to the team.

NB - To any readers of this review we do a have a scenic lake to the rear of the hotel, but I personally wouldn't describe us a as ''Waterfront Hotel' as that to me says seafront. Just so you are aware that the' Waterfront Hotel' title is a guest decription, and not how we describe ourselves.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

It was my first time in Swansea and i chose the Mercure because i stayed in the one in bristol and cardiff.. To my surprise the Swansea Mercure fell very short of my expectation. It looks nice on the outside but it needs a lot of renovation inside.. The noise while walking in the corridor is quite disturbing. The room was really basic for the price i paid. Ive seen so much better for much cheaper! There was no air conditionning but a table fan under the table. Very disappointing!
Breakfast was just ok. Full english buffet and some cereals n pastries.. Nothing really exciting. I ate the same thing twice for lack of choice.The menu in the evening is extremely limited. I would have preferred eating out but i realised while driving there that the hotel is in a "remote" area.. Nothing around really apart from businesses..

The premier inn i recently visited is way better..
I wouldn't go back there if i was to visit Swansea again...

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank 130483
Dear Reviewer,

Sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay. We are audited by Mercure annually to meet all brand standards, and needless to say we tick all the boxes required. With regard to having nothing to do in the local area, we have a beautiful lake behind the hotel (pictures on our wensite), plus miles of woodland cycle paths and riverside walks within 10 minutes of the hotel.

Thank you for your feedback, and I shall pass on your comments with regard to the property issues you raised.

Durham, England
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for work in the Swansea area. Staff are lovely, as were the cooked breakfasts but we only ate in the hotel one night as it was expensive (£22 for a set 3 course) for average quality food. We went for this as thought it sounded good value but we had mediocre carvery and a custard pie for dessert which we were told was lemon meringue pie! We ate in the nearby Sizzling pub which was slightly better food and much cheaper drinks.
The rooms were comfy enough, (floorboards a bit creaky) I had to ask for softer pillows and as it was warm that week, and I had to leave the windows open, there is a fair bit of traffic noise at the front of the hotel.
we used the small pool once which was lovely and warm and the patio area and walk around the lake is very pleasant! NB there is no lift so luggage has to be carried upstairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back or side away from road.