“Does the job!”
Review of Mercure Swansea

Mercure Swansea
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Room is good size, inside facing so quiet but bathroom has seen better days, feels straight out of the 80s with a cracked sink. Free wifi and small LCD TV with limited channels provide good entertainment. Breakfast is limited hot and cold buffet, not as good as Premier Inn or Holiday Inn.

Friendly staff make for a pleasant stay, would use again as it's out of the city centre and easy access to M4. Apparently book 30 days ahead and get 30% discount - worth knowing!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FADEC
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear FADEC,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. The advanced purchase discount is only available through Mercure.com, and is subject to pre paying on a non refundable, non transferable booking. Its a good saving if you know your dates and your booking isn't likely to be subject to any last minute changes. There is a lower discount available up to 3 days out, but after that its our standard advertised rate.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the Mercure for work for one evening. The rooms were basic but comfortable, however I missed having air conditioning on a very warm evening! Iron didn't work.

We had a meal in the hotel restaurant and we were very disappointed with the food- think wetherspoons food at a la carte prices! Very overpriced in my opinion. Fine for a stoppover for business but I don't think I'd stay here for pleasure.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Macgirl262,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our menu prices are set centrally but are in line with competitor hotels in the local area, though I accept your point on Weatherspoons, although they are often doing huge food volumes which allows them to make less profit, but several more times over if that akes sense.

I shall of course pass your comments on up the line with regard to pricing and air conditioning. The in room irons have failed a health and safety audit, and have therefore been disabled, though we do have irons and boards (both bigger and better than in room units) trhat we can bring to your room and my apologies that there wasn't a sign on the in your to advise of this. I will get this corrected this week.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

A great place to stay. The staff are very friendly and make every effort to ensure customer satisfaction. The hotel, being on the edge of a retail/business park, appears at first glance to be not the best of locations. It is, however, very handy for major roads but thankfully there is no road noise at all, resulting in a very peaceful and comfortable night's sleep. See note below !!!!

The hotel is definitely overdue for a refit which should include: state of the art air-condition in guest rooms; upgraded bathroom facilities and a major effort to solve the problem of creaky floorboards on upper floor. Our room was no. 238 so we were not troubled by "passing traffic" but I would imagine the guests nearer to the central areas in the hotel would be disturbed by them.

The staff at this Mercure Hotel are very friendly, providing excellent service and offering useful information as to what to do in the local area. The food offer is good and the prices are reasonable but the £8.40 for my large Sauvignon Blanc was over the top.

Overall, a good place to stay and would be happy to recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Although it is a long way to walk from the main reception ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Helen B,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and a thouroughly fair review it was too, covering both the good and the not so good points. We could do with a little facelift in certain areas, but whilst we may not be brand new, I and my team will do everything possible to make sure our guests enjoy their stay, which most of the time we acheive.

Incidentally the rooms at the front aren't that bad noise wise, I stay in them regularly and once the office park has gone home (approx 7 pm) its fairly quiet, until around 7.30 - 8 am in the week when traffic builds again, and later at weekends, plus the double glazing does a fairly good job.

Thanks once again for your review, and I shall as always pass on your kind comments to the team.

Ian H-Jones

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We used Mercure as a base for 2 day visit to the area. It is abased in the middle of a commercial area and so at night there is nowhere to walk around and you will have to travel by car/bus to nearest town or into Swansea. We took 2 Dutch friends and it proved a good base with excellent communication links via roads. I don't recognise the description of the rooms in other reviews. Found them clean and tidy. Breakfasts were buffet style and fine. Drinks were a little expensive but no more than other major hotels. We were assisted by one of the room cleaners, 'Tom' who was courteous and friendly and only too pleased to go running around for some tools required to help with my motorbike. A good stay with no problems re nosie etc that others have mentioned.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the rear and away form reception.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dinnis N,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and glad to hear that overall you and your Dutch frends enjoyed your stay. I shall also pass on your comments to Tom in Housekeeping, who like most of my team here is asmashing lad.

Ian H-Jones

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is fine for short stay but if you want a good night's sleep you might want a more comfortable bed with a mattress that doesn't spring out at you each time you turn over. My bed was not the only one to experience this. Food was good service too. Hotel rooms need an upgrade - very 1990's and dark. I was given one hand towel for two people and when I asked for another they obliged explaining one towel was normal policy!

• Stayed: June 2014
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Ornotholigist,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are on a rolling program of replacing all of our beds and over 80 % of our rooms now have a new bed (last 12 months) and we anticipate all beds being replaced by the end of this year. Please accept my apologies that you had issues with your bed, and if you could let me know the room number you stayed in I shall ensure that this rooom is put in the next batch for replacement in August. With regard to towlels, all rooms are set for 1 but there is a spare set of towels in the wardrobe of ecah room and our reception team should have explained this.

Many thanks for youir review.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Was checked into room 112 not only did it instantly have a smell to it but there were marks all over the wall paper and chips on the wash basin giving it sharp edges
When I went to open the window it couldn't open and also the window shelf was so dirty I had to go and wash my hands
Went to reception and asked to change rooms and was given 114
The room was slightly better but again the window did not open and the window shelf was all broken and cracked with insects on the shelf
The toilet was not that clean
I then went to the bar area where they had no bottled water so had to go to tesco
There are far better hotels in the area that are clean and I do not blame the staff here they can only work with what they have but this hotel needs upgrading and a good clean and it is all good and well for the general manager to say in here they are often inspected etc etc your best inspector is your paying customer and on this occasion my report was dirty room and toilets and dirty windows and window shelf it doesn't matter what score u had in past it's my stay that counts to me
Having read the responses to many reviews on this site I would kindly give some advice to the hotel less excuses and more action and if you want to see clean rooms with clean windows and clean shelving go to the dragon hotel or the premier inn or the ibis if they can all do it why cant you

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear SteveWales 44,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and rest assured the points you raised will be addressed by our housekeeping team.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here on June 24th - and in short wasnt a bad stay.

Car park was excellent - with plenty of spaces - so thats a win

Check in was friendly and efficient and had me on my way to my room in minutes.

Upon opening my room (249) one hell of a smell hit me - mould/damp/pee. It was horrendous. Also bear in mind this hotel has no air conditioning in the room, but luckliy i could open the windows wide and it was a warm day. Had it been a raining day - would have been horrible.

I tracked the smell down to the bathroom, and closing the door resolved the situation.

The room itself is lovely and large, with a huge bed - 2 singles zipped together - was pretty comfy too - no complaints there.

The furniture is a little (ok a lot!) dated, but it was clean and tidy so wasnt an issue. The TV in the room was rather small however - esp as it was positioned a far distance from the bed.

One major plus was Mercure have free wifi everywhere - not just in the lobbies. They should be commended for this as far to many hotels (looking at u here Holiday Inn chain!!!) charge excessive amounts for connection.

Breakfast was fine the next morning - nothing special, but definately had everything one would need.

Would go back again - but would prefer to go somewhere a little more modern next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Ursicles,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, and glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and would return.

With regard to the smell in the room, we have nwo tracked this down to a leaking pipe under the bath that was saoking the floor board, and this combined with the heat caused the musty smell. Please accept my apologies as our cleaning staff have noses too, and this room should have been put out of order until this smell was investigated and resolved, though in fairness the room hadn't been occupied for 3 previous days, so possibly smell nuilt up in that time.

All resolved now, and i shall pass on your good comments regarding service you received to the team.