“30 years of returning tells the truth!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site
Luton, United Kingdom
“30 years of returning tells the truth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Amazed at the terrible reviews re. staff and facilities. The owner cannot be more helpful - indeed one year my car broke down in Swansea and Rob actually came out and towed us in! In the early years we saw many reasons for the owners having to tighten up on their rules and have been in reception and heard the abuse they have to put up with on occasions.
The site has gradually been landscaped until now drainage is great. Also number of hook-ups has greatly increased. We continue to camp there year after year, not only for the location but to meet the lovely staff and the many families that we have befriended. Never seen dogs off the lead without prompting staff action, nor problems with facilities that are not sorted asap.
All I can think is that there are 2 sites of this name. Will be there again this July for 3 weeks, come rain or shine.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lutondragon

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at this site several times between 2006 and 2009, always for one night as I was travelling on business, I enjoy the walk to Rhossili and back along the cliff in the evening. On each occasion I found the site to be perfectly acceptable, and the (then) staff friendly. I was always alone and paid £5 for a night's stay (with car and tent).
For that reason I didn't bother looking at this website or the camp's own website before booking in for one night in late October. I naively thought there would be a small price increase since the last visit - maybe to £10 ?
I was actually charged £20! A 400% increase! How can this be justified when fuel, wages etc. are not much different from 2006? Looking at the camp's website, I see they charge £20 as a flat rate, so if you are with a friend you pay the same, ie £10 per head (that is high but acceptable). So not only are they overpriced, but also charge a "single supplement" of 100%.

When I commented on the increase, was told that "no way" did I pay £5 ( as I claimed the previous stay as business expenses, it was easy to verify what I actually paid when I got home and looked at my accounts for those years) . So I was overcharged and accused of lying, just to add insult to injury.

I have no complaints about the site, other than the lack of flat ground and the closure of one of the two toilet blocks- presumably to economise in the low season (didn't reduce the fee though). It is a basic site with few facilities, locking the gate is a joke as the site is wide open to the public, so making it pointless and possibly dangerous in emergencies.

It's main selling point seems to be the view, although as I live in an even more beautiful part of Wales than the Gower, that desn't matter to me- it is simply a convenience for the odd night when I have business in the area. I noted also that when I stayed, there were only a half-dozen visitors, admittedly it was the end of October, but a with a freak couple of very hot days, and I would have expected more punters.

I would guess that the present management has taken over from the people I saw a few years ago,or more probably, given their apparent attitude, inherited the business.Judging by the other reviews here they don't appear to have inherited the same approach. Needless to say, I won't stay here again - £20 is not much less than B and B, and more expensive than the Youth Hostel next door ( with a better view!).

Also , why did they let me in when they advertise themselves as "families only". Am I supposed to be grateful? I suspect that is just an excuse to ban people they don't like the look of, this being typical of many camp sites, B and B's, pubs, etc in the UK -the owners want your money but think they are doing you a favour letting you in. One can only hope that such people go out of business as soon as possible. Better weather is not the only reason for Brits going abroad en masse.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
12 Thank busydavey
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

It's such a shame about the owners of this campsite as the location is perfect. Owners are really unfriendly and seem to treat everyone with suspicion! Campsite was overpriced (£20 per night, even if just one person in a small tent) but the facilities aren't really worth the money...it's a really big site yet there's only one toilet block. Doubt we'll be going back as we don't want to give them any more of our money. A real shame though as the location is stunning. Don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Al L
newport, south wales uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed here for three nights, two adults, our dog, VW Transporter and large tent, £78 with electric. I've always found the owners 'Straight', which is ok. The guy on the quad who does the cleaning etc could use some laughing gas though! Great location for surf/ kayaking/picnics/walking etc. Basic shop on site, although shop/ cafe's etc nearby. Showers are free and usually clean . Direct access to beach and Port Eynon Point ( Where the photo was taken). I've been coming here for thirty years on and off.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have given a rating of 3 out of 5 but this camp site should get 3 ratings .... 5/5 for the location, 2/5 for facilities and 0/5 for the staff's attitude .. and by staff i am including the owner. My little girl went to the shop for ice and was told that the shop would be closed for 15 mins for a break, on riding around on her bike as she was going to wait for the 15 mins, the 'owner' then told her to 'bugger off'. This isn't an isolated incident, the attitudes of the staff is terrible but it comes from the top so i can't see it changing which is a shame as it would be a much better site.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Jason S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012 via mobile

This year was the 4th time we have stayed here, and sadly the last, yet again excellent location but staff are rude, unfriendly and unhelpful.
No money has been spent on obvious improvements, the showers and toilets were very grubby the majority of the 4 days we stayed, the hair dryers had been removed, left with plug points for your own, but didn't take a hair dryer as last year they had 2 small dryers.
The path through the hedge to the toilets was a mud pit and even after "mentioning" that some gravel or hay wouldn't go amiss to prevent people slipping etc nothing was done.
This could be a wonderful site yet it feels like the family running it begrudge your custom, and quite frankly if they feel that way they shouldn't run it as a campsite, as mentioned by others before, there is no friendly welcome just a A4 sheet of rules handed to you on payment.
The on site shop is fairly well stocked but be prepared to pay £1.50 for 1ltr of milk or pick it up from the petrol station on the way there for £1.39 for 2ltrs instead! I don't mind paying a little extra but don't want to be ripped off!
Wish they would just take in what people have to say and make simple changes, a smile doesn't cost anything but would make a massive difference. Or they should just sell and let someone run it well :)

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Michaela S
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Amazing location, Terrible customer service. Told a member of our group - 13 year old to 'bu**er off' while they closed the shop to eat food. (She was only waiting outside too)

We have been for several years and no investment has been made either

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Andrew_Swansea_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Shoreline
Broad Park Bed and Breakfast
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#1 of 7 in Llangennith

Been to Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site? Share your experiences!