“nice campsite horrible man on quad”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site
“nice campsite horrible man on quad”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

this is a really nice clean campsite staff really nice except man on quad (rob) what a rude vile man would stay again if the rob had some happy piles manners cost nothing a smile off him wouldnt goa miss.

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank lisad1823

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Have been going for several years as a local it's a great place to chill out with other like minded locals, excellent location for launching kayaks from our motor home and fab walks for the dog. We used to be able to pitch up after work on a Friday night however now you have to book in advance and for a minimum of 3 nights on a bank holiday and minimum 2 nights school hols. Some people just want a night away due to caring commitments of elderly parents but be close to home. S aff also hav an attitude as if you are doing the a favour...... Actually we are your bread and butter if you don't like customers why are you running a campsite. £22 per night no hook up is high for such basic facilities. It's such a shame it used to be a fab site.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Sharon2864
Tredegar
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Bought a new camper and wanted somewhere to try it out! Site nice, views were spectacular!! Water hot, showers clean and although the weather was, well british, had a ball. I have to say that the site is well kept and is a prime location.

Room Tip: Booked on the "terrace" nice and flat with great electric hook up.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Harrogate
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Spent the Easter weekend at this site. On the plus side, the site itself is in a fantastic position and beautifully kept and we were almost right on the beach. Have to say we found the staff very friendly and helpful and the shop was well stocked.

On the down side, several of our party complained that the showers were cold and although we were told the water temp had been turned up, it didn't seem to make any difference.

At £22 per night this is unacceptable. For this price I expect steaming hot showers, and heating in the shower block itself, not to mention hook-up. I can understand this price during the summer holidays when space is at a premium and I know this was a Bank Holiday weekend, but given that there were very few people there I expect more for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank madwitch47
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Amazed at the terrible reviews re. staff and facilities. The owner cannot be more helpful - indeed one year my car broke down in Swansea and Rob actually came out and towed us in! In the early years we saw many reasons for the owners having to tighten up on their rules and have been in reception and heard the abuse they have to put up with on occasions.
The site has gradually been landscaped until now drainage is great. Also number of hook-ups has greatly increased. We continue to camp there year after year, not only for the location but to meet the lovely staff and the many families that we have befriended. Never seen dogs off the lead without prompting staff action, nor problems with facilities that are not sorted asap.
All I can think is that there are 2 sites of this name. Will be there again this July for 3 weeks, come rain or shine.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lutondragon
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at this site several times between 2006 and 2009, always for one night as I was travelling on business, I enjoy the walk to Rhossili and back along the cliff in the evening. On each occasion I found the site to be perfectly acceptable, and the (then) staff friendly. I was always alone and paid £5 for a night's stay (with car and tent).
For that reason I didn't bother looking at this website or the camp's own website before booking in for one night in late October. I naively thought there would be a small price increase since the last visit - maybe to £10 ?
I was actually charged £20! A 400% increase! How can this be justified when fuel, wages etc. are not much different from 2006? Looking at the camp's website, I see they charge £20 as a flat rate, so if you are with a friend you pay the same, ie £10 per head (that is high but acceptable). So not only are they overpriced, but also charge a "single supplement" of 100%.

When I commented on the increase, was told that "no way" did I pay £5 ( as I claimed the previous stay as business expenses, it was easy to verify what I actually paid when I got home and looked at my accounts for those years) . So I was overcharged and accused of lying, just to add insult to injury.

I have no complaints about the site, other than the lack of flat ground and the closure of one of the two toilet blocks- presumably to economise in the low season (didn't reduce the fee though). It is a basic site with few facilities, locking the gate is a joke as the site is wide open to the public, so making it pointless and possibly dangerous in emergencies.

It's main selling point seems to be the view, although as I live in an even more beautiful part of Wales than the Gower, that desn't matter to me- it is simply a convenience for the odd night when I have business in the area. I noted also that when I stayed, there were only a half-dozen visitors, admittedly it was the end of October, but a with a freak couple of very hot days, and I would have expected more punters.

I would guess that the present management has taken over from the people I saw a few years ago,or more probably, given their apparent attitude, inherited the business.Judging by the other reviews here they don't appear to have inherited the same approach. Needless to say, I won't stay here again - £20 is not much less than B and B, and more expensive than the Youth Hostel next door ( with a better view!).

Also , why did they let me in when they advertise themselves as "families only". Am I supposed to be grateful? I suspect that is just an excuse to ban people they don't like the look of, this being typical of many camp sites, B and B's, pubs, etc in the UK -the owners want your money but think they are doing you a favour letting you in. One can only hope that such people go out of business as soon as possible. Better weather is not the only reason for Brits going abroad en masse.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
12 Thank busydavey
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

It's such a shame about the owners of this campsite as the location is perfect. Owners are really unfriendly and seem to treat everyone with suspicion! Campsite was overpriced (£20 per night, even if just one person in a small tent) but the facilities aren't really worth the money...it's a really big site yet there's only one toilet block. Doubt we'll be going back as we don't want to give them any more of our money. A real shame though as the location is stunning. Don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Al L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Culver House Hotel
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#1 of 5 in Llangennith
Broad Park Bed and Breakfast

Been to Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site? Share your experiences!