Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$185
US$113
US$102
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Village Hotel Swansea(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$194
Travelocity
Morgans Hotel(Swansea)
US$244
US$230
Priceline
Travelodge Swansea M4(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$64
Travelodge
Premier Inn Swansea Waterfront Hotel(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$84
  • Bar/Lounge
US$85
US$118
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsport eynonfamily shower roomsship innlovely campbeach shopfish and chip shopon arrivalenjoyable weekendfantastic locationhot waterbody boardingfacilitiesmotorhomeelectricitysinksrhossiliplot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I've been visiting this site for around 15 years and this time will be the last.

I've always put up with the rude arrogant, power driven owner and his henchmen ( staff) due to the fantastic location.

We recently visited with 2 other families ( 3rd year as a group) and were already aware of the culture of rules and regulations and have done well to last this long in hindsight.

We pre booked for a 4 night stay months ago and arrived in convoy

Rob ( the owner) did not acknowledge that he has received my bookings for years and we've had many conversations ( which I force on him to hone my communication skills when dealing with difficult people.)

He "greeted" me with his usual finger waving and barked his command to "park up" and for one person only from each car, to enter the shop and book in.
We were given a copy of the site rules and escorted to our pitch were I was instructed to position my caravan. I did as instructed.

5 minutes after I had pitched I was asked to move it "precisely" one metre back and to the left. I politely indulged the horrible little man and attempted to set up once again and "relax"with my family and friends, all of whom had been looking forward to our trip to the Gower for a long time.

He returned once more and instructed my friends to move their tents slightly as they were not "exactly" as he had ordered. They too complied as we all just want a quiet life, don't we?

We had a great evening and maintained "silence" way before "curfew". Having also visited many sites, we all accept that people want a bit of peace after dark. We sat talking in our awning while the kids played cards.

Unfortunately, the kids must have told a joke and laughed out loud, at the same time the camp commandant (another rude and horribly behaved as well as inappropriately spoken disciple of Rob) and his partner, were outside their bunker smoking.

The "female" of the night watch pounced into action and came to tell us that it was a "family site" and that this noise would not be tolerated and the owner would be informed. We apologised and explained that we would make sure we would be quiet as we had been all evening.

I went to sleep, though it was not unbroken as I imagined the visit from Rob in the morning and I wondered how I would get on. I recited my plan in my head as I Watched the Quad bike go up and down on morning patrol.

We apologised to all our neighbours as soon as we got up, who thankfully all said that they hadn't heard any noise at all.

It was then he appeared in his van and beckoned me personally to address him.

I was "spoken to" by Rob, as if I were a small child who had performed some despicable act of inhumanity. He exposed himself to be, without doubt, the most intolerable human being I have ever had the displeasure to converse with.

My outcome was to ensure that I did not fail in my mission to spend one last weekend on this campsite, though I had already decided the night before, that I would not ever set foot in the place again.

As someone who has studied human behaviour and taught communication skills for many years, I was actually quite fascinated to watch and listen as Rob basked and "enjoyed" his moment of powerful glory, oblivious to the fact that I could see how he is killing his business and livelihood with his own limited view of why people like to go camping.

Do everyone a favour Rob, and sell your campsite to someone who wants to run one. Someone who likes other people. Someone who understands family.

If you want a more unbiased view of the attitude of Robs "organisation" check out trip adviser where 30% seem to have had a similar experience to me.
I'm appalled by the way you treated me, my family and friends.

50  Thank Mcconnachie333
Reviewed 7 August 2013

on the plus side, the owner did allow us onto the site without us booking, We had a camper van and were able to park up where ever we wanted, so we chose the far field (near the hedge and the gate to the footpath). The view was great.

we bought some food from the shop and to be honest i thought that we would have to pay a lot more than we did.

now for the negatives. On the way to the campsite, my mate had informed me of the reviews for the place and in particular the owner...... and he did not fail to live up to his reputation. My (who was driving) was asked a series of questions in an abrupt and rude manner. we were then instructed in the same manner, for ONE of us to come into the shop and sort out the payment. it was like being told off by a headmaster. we were then given the rules and headed off to find a pitch.

We did drive back to the shop, as we needed to empty the flush the sink out and there was a waste water point near the shop, I went to buy some food and was stopped by the owner, who wanted to know, why we had driven back the shop and not walked (as in the rules).

the shower block, was some distance from the pitch (but we knew that when we parked up). However, the shower block was fairly small and dirty, the shower cubicles were not the best (a bit on the small side),

all in all, the site has a lot going for it, but it is let down by the attitude of the owner and the general cleanliness of the shower block.

I have been to worse campsite's, but have also been to better.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank daveccfc
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The site has 3 lovely camping fields and wherever you camp in the far field you have an amazing view of the sea. The backdrop to the campsite is a lovely wooded area and a path from the middle of the site leads through the woods and onto a coastal walk. Another path leads to the beach which is a five minute walk, if that. At the end of the far field there's a gate and you can catch crabs and fish in the rockpools when the tide's out. The showers are spacious and warm. I went into the cubicle with my two children and we had plenty of room. The campsite shop has surprisingly reasonable prices and lots of cheap toys for the kids and good quality kids fishing nets for £2.50. The couple that run it are both really friendly. Whenever I came across the man who runs it, he was helping people out, waving to the kids as he litter picked from his quad bike, or cleaning one of the two spotless toilet blocks. Both him and his wife chatted and joked with us when they came across us on the site. When I read the reviews on this site before we went I nearly backed out but I am so glad we didn't! The only thing I would change are the clothes hooks on the shower doors because some of them don't bend back enough to hold your clothes on properly and if you aren't careful they could slip onto the floor. The site isn't cheap to stay at but you don't have to pay for the showers like you do at some other sites and you do get everything you need from a good camping spot.

2  Thank StorkyCharlie
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We read some of the reviews on this site before travelling, and were somewhat apprehensive/worried about our impending stay based on the very negative opinions of others!

We were a large family group of varying ages but mainly adults and had a very enjoyable stay. The staff were not rude, not overly keen on their customer service but not as rude as other reviews have indicated.

The toilet blocks were relatively clean most of the time, peak times were less clean but this is inevitable with large numbers of people using them. I never had to queue for a toilet/sink/shower. The blocks themselves could do with some modernisation but they were perfectly adequate.

Others have commented on excessive numbers of rules for those staying on the site, though in my opinion none of these were unreasonable and were pretty standard for a camp site, quiet times in the evening, dogs on leads etc.

Location is fantastic for access to all of the Gower's beautiful beaches, as well as Port Eynon beach a 2 minute walk away. The shop on site is well stocked and not too expensive. Charges per night however were quite expensive.
We would return!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just got back from a weekend here. The site itself is ok as its right near a beach. The beach is ok too but if you travel 5 miles away to Rhossil then there is a beautiful beach there. Upon arrival we were checked in by a Sergeant Major type man who informed us of every rule there was going!

The shower blocks are ok, clean enough but the water temperature ranges from being boiling hot to warm depending which showere you use also the cubicles aren't that big so beware when using the shower as it does tend to spray everywhere so i wouldn't advise taking your clean clothes with you!

There are also a lack of skips/bins around the site. We were in the furthest field away and the closest one is right near reception.

There are a couple of chip shops and a pub in the village which were ok too.

I agree with peoples comments about the owners being sticklers for rules too. My wife walked to the toilets as we were on our way off site for the day so I packed the car ready then drove up to meet her by the toilets as I was parked up the lady owner came zooming up on her tractor to find out why I was driving to the toilet. Which I then had to explain to her.

I would visit again definitely but you need to be prepared to have Big Brother watching over you!!

Room Tip: I would try and pitch near reception as that's where all the facilities are i.e Skips, showers, shop etc.
1  Thank basnip