“Family Camping?...This is an ideal location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was the first time that we had been away camping with the kids, we weren't sure what to take, what to expect and whether we had chosen the right site. We needn't have worried, it's ideal. We stayed in the third field along and stayed for 2 nights (originally planned for 3 but the forecast put a stop to that!).

From looking at some of the previous comments on here I'm not sure if they have recently upgraded the shower blocks and toilets but they were exactly what was needed. I'm not sure what people are looking for in this category when camping, but clean toilets and clean hot showers tick the boxes for me. They also have several family showers that you have to sign in and out of if you want to use them and they are great.

The shop is small, but stocks more or less everything you need and there are shops within 2 minutes walk if you want other bits. There is a pub (The Ship I think which was welcoming for the kids), there is a restaurant with take away pizza option and 2 fish and chip shops. Should cover most food tastes for camping!

The campsite is literally on the beach and is great. We were lucky that the weather was great when we were there and loved it!

As for the staff I can't see what else you would want from them! They might hand you a list of rules when you get there (not sure if this happens everywhere) but I guess everyone knows where they stand it terms of what is acceptable and not. There are 3 main staff from what I could see. The lady seems to man the reception/shop and controls who is coming in and coming out, Rob? who goes around on his buggy checking on things and keeping the site clean and tidy and another man who seems to get around everywhere doing just about everything else! They seem to run a tight ship and whilst they might not be grinning at everyone I got the impression that they were working hard to make sure that everything ran smoothly. They even drove round on Friday night giving all the kids glow sticks (nice touch).

As I haven't camped before with the family it is difficult to compare to other sites, but I would say that this ticks all the boxes for us and wouldn't hesitate going again!

Thanks and hope you find this helpful!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank IM0000000000

Reviewed 10 August 2014

2nd visit here for us. The staff are great and the site is really clean and tidy. Even when it's busy it doesn't feel crowded and it's a stone throw from the beach. Very family oriented site so nice and quiet too. The shop is small but has all the things you need to keep going through your stay. Will definitely visit again. My only slight niggle is that there's only one toilet / shower block which means it can be a long trek from the end field.

Room Tip: End field is the quietest but is furthest from the facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JessopSmythe
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just got back from a Monday-Friday stay and have to say that we didn't want to leave. The weather certainly played its part as the sun has been out in force but the camp site is really good. It is a nice, clean camp site. The toilets and showers were well kept and the showers were lovely and hot. The atmosphere was really good and everyone had a smile on their face. The site seemed well run and I found the people running the place to be friendly and helpful. Its a great site for families.

You are also literally on the beach! The kids (Girls 11 & 12) absolutely loved it and want me to book it up for next year immediately. Being right on the coast there are lots of different routes to take for amazing coastal walks or adventures.

Also Rhosilli Bay is only a few miles down the road and that is an amazing beach to go to.

Being English I also expected a bit of banter from the locals but I have to say every Welsh person I met were fantastic. All extremely polite and helpful and a good laugh.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TrippingMoore
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just come back, and once again another lovely stay, site is kept very clean, showers and toilets also. Staff very friendly and helpful as usual. Yes there was on occasion noise from builders, as due to last winters storms the wall infront of hostel had been smashed by the sea and needed repairs, unfortunately power tools have to be used. So to people who complained of noise get over it work has to go on, and as for nothing to do, dont go to the gower if you want a commercialised holiday, the best thing about the gower is the lack of commercialism, with beautiful scenery and beaches i hope it will always stay that way, a nice choice of places to eat in village and at last the ship inn is having a refit under new management looks really good looking forward to seeing the finished product when we return. I love this place and campsite and have recomended it to friends. They went and loved it to and will also definitely return. To all the staff at carreglywd a big thankyou and keep up the good work you ARE running a brilliant campsite. Jenny from oxford.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jenny W
Reviewed 20 July 2014

If you want to stay in a site which is controlled by a fascist dictator then I would stay here. Awful atmosphere, over priced shop, nothing of interest locally and a very rude owner and staff. I will not stay here again even if someone paid me!

• Stayed: July 2014
15  Thank Cherries123
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Camped in third field from entrance, it was empty when we arrived so we chose a pitch in the sunshine and settled in. Next day we realised why most people had camped in the nearer fields:
1. There is a hut for local builders in the field - their generator comes on at 8.00am and their trucks are back and for across the field.
2. There is a public footpath through the field, used by local dog walkers, people walking the coast path, anyone accessing the headland at any time of day or night. No sign of any security, so felt uneasy about leaving tent unlocked even for trip to toilets.
3. There is a wall being built at the top of the site, the acoustics mean that a constant rumble, scrape and thud to be heard throughout the day.
The fourth field is a better position, but is very far from toilets and showers, and there is evidence in the hedge that some people haven't bothered with the journey.
This looks like a good site, but the problems are only apparent when you spend a day or so here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JRcamper
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We have been using this site with our large tent and now five kids for the last few years

Rob does run a very tight ship ,but when you have a lot of families within an area it can be a recipe for disaster ,if there are no controls in place

The showers I agree are small but always hot,and I've never found them any thing less than clean ,

This year he has fitted two new family shower rooms and these are excellent !

And I believe they have plans to double the size of the shop .

Yes you can buy your food cheaper and take it with you ,he's there to make a profit its not only there for your convenience ,I've been on some large sites that prices can make you wallet bleed with there shop prices

Personally as a father of five most very young I want a safe quite site for my kids and I've yet to find one as good in such an amazing location

And ffs of you don't want to walk from the bottom fields by the sea view to the Boggs don't camp there ! Or bring a potti. It's camping not the ritz

Rob and the rest of his crew never ever fail to welcome us and say hello ,and have never failed to help if I ask for it

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank malcolm g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Oxwich Bay Hotel
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#2 of 5 in Llangennith
Broad Park Bed and Breakfast

Been to Carreglwyd Caravan and Camping Site? Share your experiences!