“Very good indeed”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2012

A group of 6 work colleagues went to Bar Reef straight after work last Friday for a leaving do. This place has changed unrecognisably since I last visited for a drink a few years ago and so much for the better.
The decor is simple and contemporary with different areas for comfy lounging with a drink to the main dining area.
The food was really very good. Everyone enjoyed their meals which ranged from starters of steak and aubergine puree parcel, mussels in ginger and chilli sauce, baked brie and mains of belly pork, red snapper, summer green risotto, a creamy chicken special. and baked 3 cheeses.
All the food was fresh, homemade and skilfully prepared and presented.
Service was a little on the slow side but well worth the wait and indicative of being freshly prep'd and cooked.
One little bug bear was the slight lack of good will (or should that be customer service?!) when it came to the free glass of wine when you "buy 2 course of dinner" which we all ordered. This was only available when ordering specifically from the evening menu, rather than mixing and matching starters from the lunch menu (even when the order value was more) Hey ho but it seemed a tad mean and inflexible plus was relayed to us via our (apologetic) waitress rather than her manager. This was a shame.
All in all a very good experience and, on the strength of the fabulous, great value food, I will definitely be returning soon with my partner.

2  Thank cargriff

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Fantastic food, could be a little warmer when served, the pork loins with mashed potato and mustard gravy is awesome.

1  Thank Meg594
Reviewed 16 June 2012

An excellent Sunday lunch. Plenty of tender lamb with sweetness and flavour.
Good and varied vegetables. Service was a bit slow but a bread roll with olive oil dip filled the gas nicely.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have been for lunch here a few times and enjoyed it although for myself the portions are too skimpy, my family have been frequenting this restaurant on and off for the past 6months so i would say they are regulars now, we were in their company bearing this in mind you would ecpect the management to look after us, my dinner came out with the normal measly 3 potatoes, i asked the waiter "Tom" who i may add has impeccable customer service skills if i could have a few extra potatoes he informed me he would ask the manger he then came back and said he would have to charge us. If i had asked for an extra piece of lamb i would understand that this would warrant an extra charge but the price of 2 potatoes os negligible. I refuse to pay for the extra potatoes resulting in me not having any and leaving very dissapointed especially as our bill was £107. Customers tend to vote with their feet and i most definately will not be returning. Management should know that 2 potatoes are a very minor price to pay to retain a regular customer. Very poor

1  Thank L warlow
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Three generations of us went to Bar Reef, one of my kids and my Aunt, so a wide range of ages. The food was excellent; there was a long wait between placing our order and getting the food, but in a way that was reassuring as the food was being freshly cooked for us. I had pork belly which was both crisp on the outside and moist on the inside, and having had samples of the others choices, they were equally good.
The drawback with the restuarant was the sound system. We were under one of the loudspeakers and had to shout to make ourselves heard. It seems like Bar Reef is trying to be a restaurant and trendy bar at the same time, and they need to choose which they want to be. Its a shame that we could not enjoy a conversation with such good food.

1  Thank Thomas721