“I have never been so offended!!”
Review of Bar Reef - CLOSED

Bar Reef
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“I have never been so offended!!”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I'm sure the food would've been lovely as I have tried the chef (Zsu zsa)'s food many times and it is as beautiful as her personality is warming. However... The landlady (kitty) made both myself and my friends (who were celebrating and intent on spending an extremely large amount of money there) feel extremely UNWELCOME!! To the point they accused us of leaving 'white powder' in the toilets!! We could not believe these accusations... My friend later advised me that she has been subjugated to this sort of treatment from them before. We were left with no moral option but to leave!!... SHAME ON YOU BAR REEF!!!!

Swansea, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uncomfortable dining experience.”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have absolutely no problem with the food, have been here a few times recently and it is always delicious, Last saturday we had an excellent meal, four people ranging in age from 23 to 67, although service was a little slow, and my comment to the waitress that the piped music was too loud was ignored. Then a couple of live musicians, amplified, starting playing so that by the time we started our meal, the chance of any conversation was lost. It is a hard. echoey environment, wooden flloors,wooden chairs and almost no soft furnishings to cushion the sound. The musicians were very good and they merited being listened to properly, not as unwelcome background noise -(we couldn't see them from where we were sitting). I agree with an earlier comment, the management should make up their minds to be either a live music venue or a fine dning restaurant, one or the other.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank MMCC_12
Pennard, United Kingdom
“Very good indeed”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

A group of 6 work colleagues went to Bar Reef straight after work last Friday for a leaving do. This place has changed unrecognisably since I last visited for a drink a few years ago and so much for the better.
The decor is simple and contemporary with different areas for comfy lounging with a drink to the main dining area.
The food was really very good. Everyone enjoyed their meals which ranged from starters of steak and aubergine puree parcel, mussels in ginger and chilli sauce, baked brie and mains of belly pork, red snapper, summer green risotto, a creamy chicken special. and baked 3 cheeses.
All the food was fresh, homemade and skilfully prepared and presented.
Service was a little on the slow side but well worth the wait and indicative of being freshly prep'd and cooked.
One little bug bear was the slight lack of good will (or should that be customer service?!) when it came to the free glass of wine when you "buy 2 course of dinner" which we all ordered. This was only available when ordering specifically from the evening menu, rather than mixing and matching starters from the lunch menu (even when the order value was more) Hey ho but it seemed a tad mean and inflexible plus was relayed to us via our (apologetic) waitress rather than her manager. This was a shame.
All in all a very good experience and, on the strength of the fabulous, great value food, I will definitely be returning soon with my partner.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank cargriff
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Mustard Gravy”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Fantastic food, could be a little warmer when served, the pork loins with mashed potato and mustard gravy is awesome.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Meg594
“Terrific lamb”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

An excellent Sunday lunch. Plenty of tender lamb with sweetness and flavour.
Good and varied vegetables. Service was a bit slow but a bread roll with olive oil dip filled the gas nicely.