“Spent a lot of money in this bar to be told that we are not welcome”
Review of Bar Reef - CLOSED

Bar Reef
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My family have spent a lot of money in this bar for party's to be told that we can NOT book the whole bar to find out that the next weekend the bar reef was closed due to a private party!! This was very insulting! The chief is amazing but the front of house are rude and hold themselves in high regarde and make us feel unworthy! A party of 11 of us were told that they could not accommodate for us all but they could only accommodate for 9! Then we all left hungry after waiting 45 minutes!
This bar could be brilliant but they are difficult! It's such a shame!

2  Thank Numnumss

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I'm sure the food would've been lovely as I have tried the chef (Zsu zsa)'s food many times and it is as beautiful as her personality is warming. However... The landlady (kitty) made both myself and my friends (who were celebrating and intent on spending an extremely large amount of money there) feel extremely UNWELCOME!! To the point they accused us of leaving 'white powder' in the toilets!! We could not believe these accusations... My friend later advised me that she has been subjugated to this sort of treatment from them before. We were left with no moral option but to leave!!... SHAME ON YOU BAR REEF!!!!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have absolutely no problem with the food, have been here a few times recently and it is always delicious, Last saturday we had an excellent meal, four people ranging in age from 23 to 67, although service was a little slow, and my comment to the waitress that the piped music was too loud was ignored. Then a couple of live musicians, amplified, starting playing so that by the time we started our meal, the chance of any conversation was lost. It is a hard. echoey environment, wooden flloors,wooden chairs and almost no soft furnishings to cushion the sound. The musicians were very good and they merited being listened to properly, not as unwelcome background noise -(we couldn't see them from where we were sitting). I agree with an earlier comment, the management should make up their minds to be either a live music venue or a fine dning restaurant, one or the other.

1  Thank MMCC_12
Reviewed 6 August 2012

A group of 6 work colleagues went to Bar Reef straight after work last Friday for a leaving do. This place has changed unrecognisably since I last visited for a drink a few years ago and so much for the better.
The decor is simple and contemporary with different areas for comfy lounging with a drink to the main dining area.
The food was really very good. Everyone enjoyed their meals which ranged from starters of steak and aubergine puree parcel, mussels in ginger and chilli sauce, baked brie and mains of belly pork, red snapper, summer green risotto, a creamy chicken special. and baked 3 cheeses.
All the food was fresh, homemade and skilfully prepared and presented.
Service was a little on the slow side but well worth the wait and indicative of being freshly prep'd and cooked.
One little bug bear was the slight lack of good will (or should that be customer service?!) when it came to the free glass of wine when you "buy 2 course of dinner" which we all ordered. This was only available when ordering specifically from the evening menu, rather than mixing and matching starters from the lunch menu (even when the order value was more) Hey ho but it seemed a tad mean and inflexible plus was relayed to us via our (apologetic) waitress rather than her manager. This was a shame.
All in all a very good experience and, on the strength of the fabulous, great value food, I will definitely be returning soon with my partner.

2  Thank cargriff
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Fantastic food, could be a little warmer when served, the pork loins with mashed potato and mustard gravy is awesome.

1  Thank Meg594