“Another excellent stay”
Review of Morgans Hotel

Morgans Hotel
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Bank holiday weekend the hotel was heaving full. No matter the service was still excellent and attention to detail good. Nothing is too much for the staff. Saw me in the car park with my bags and immediately a porter came out to help, nice touch. Nice vibe in the bar area as its used as a meeting place for nIguts out to wind street.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Morgans Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed for 1 night in the Townhouse (Maxima) which is just across the road from the main hotel. Room was excellent - more like a suite. Extremely roomy, comfortable and nicely furnished. Had a wonderful night's sleep - very little traffic noise. The breakfast (in the main hotel) was excellent. All staff were helpful and very efficient. The location of the hotel is great - within easy walking distance of SA1 and the marina and the city centre. Not sure how anyone could write a negative complaint about the hotel. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally-7
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Morgans is a lovely hotel but there's a few niggles that don't quite make it live up to its full potential. Arrival was good, reception was lovely and although I had booked into the Townhouse I asked if it was possible to upgrade to the main building and they were more than amenable. The room was gorgeous, huge high ceilings, lovely decor (if you like that sort of thing), immaculate and luxurious bathroom, with excellent shower, two sinks. The Molton Brown bath products were great but because the big bottles were fixed to the wall and at an awkward angle one of them was particularly difficult to press to get anything out and kept getting stuck. Pain!

The window sills were exceptionally dusty. That let things down. Sleep wise was difficult, partly due to noise from siren and the wind but that's not the hotel's fault, I guess they aren't able to put in double glazing. But my main sleep issue was the pillows. They are insanely soft. It took 3 before it made any difference, four was best. Good think I was travelling alone.

The mini bar was also a bone of contention. It hadn't been properly stocked (which considering they take £50 deposit for it is a bit galling). The chocolate bar was reasonably priced so I was pleased about that, but paying £10 for a bottle of white wine that was vile and I really mean vile, in was completely undrinkable, seemed like extortion and unfortunate considering in the bar they seem to have an excellent selection of wines. Why not pick something better for the mini bar? Hardly showcasing the hotel at its best.

Breakfast was yet another bone of contention. Full Welsh breakfast. Now in my opinion a full breakfast of any kind should leave you entirely that... feeling full. This didn't. I had a very dry piece of bacon that was slightly burnt and if I'd tried I could have snapped it in two easily. There was one sausage that was pretty average, nothing standout. There was one hash brown, one small fried egg, and one tomato that hadn't seen salt and was pretty void of taste. I was given two mushrooms presumably because I declined the black pudding, but the larger of the two was about 5cm (2.5 inches) in diameter, the second much smaller!

The whole breakfast experience was a shambles. The person taking your room name is stood not at the entrance but in the middle of the room - when she was there anyway, she kept disappearing. The buffet was pretty empty. Hardly any pastries. A bit of yoghurt. Could have done with some cheeses and cured meats at least.

The waiter was so speedy he literally put my plate down and ran off before I could ask if there was any sauces available. There were none on the table, none on the buffet table either, so I was left eating my dry bacon and average sausage without anything. I was unimpressed. Hospitality is about anticipating people's desires. If you aren't going to put out sauces, ask when you serve someone if they want them. There was also hardly any juice available, apple or cranberry only. That seemed pretty pour. I could have done without the Norah Jones too. It's breakfast, not a cocktail/wine bar.

What really upset me about the breakfast experience was the opportunity missed to really showcase some great Welsh produce. For example, you can order porridge but instead of it coming with fabulous local honey, it came with Canadian maple syrup! That's mental!

The bacon, sausage etc. all of that they could have used great award-winning local producers, yet it was no better than eating at a greasy spoon, and that's probably not being fair to most greasy spoons.

Really amusingly lavabread and cockles on the menu was 'only available sometimes'. I've never NOT known lavabread or cockles be available in Swansea ever. What's up with that?!

Also, weird thing, was going to book a table for dinner with family the Wednesday night but the site says only the cafe/bar is open with a limited menu, the restaurant only opens Thursday night to Sunday lunch. That seems crazy considering the hotel was nearly fully booked. In the end I went elsewhere for dinner.

It's OK. Nice hotel. Needs a polish and the management really needs to sit down and think about the opportunities they are missing out on. It could be something so special.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel, not the townhouse.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My daughter got married at Morgans on Monday 13 th August and it was fantastic.
The staff were incredibly helpful & nothing was too much trouble. Christine the general manager & Chef devised a fantastic menu that catered to all tastes. Approximately half the wedding party were of Sri Lankan origin & love spicy food.Chef excelled with sea bass in a ginger & chilli sauce that was hugely popular. The presentation of the starters was awesome....some were served on Welsh slate/ some on wooden boards with shot glasses of fig & ginger chutney.
Planning a wedding is fun but stressful but we couldn't have had more help if we had paid 4 times the price. Richard sorted out the music & worked the SKYPE like a professional. Alex the wedding planner was so calm & helpful & helped us personalize the wedding ceremony room & generally was a rock. All of the waiters were incredibly efficient & a big thank you to Matthew who ensured that everything ran smoothly. We had a strict budget and it came in bang on price.we were never made to feel that we should be paying more & there was no hard sell.
The venue is so Elegant & was a superb backdrop for the photographs.massive thank you to all who worked so hard to give us a fab day

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JoannaAndCaitlin
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I can echo all of the other poor reviews here. My partner booked the Henry Belle suite, which is one the two most expensive rooms in the hotel (it is £250 per night, which is a London price!). I love Swansea and we were very excited about staying here.

I could go on at length, but here are some of the key points I wish to share:

- After check-in, there was no attempt to either take us to our room or even tell us where it was!
- The room was FILTHY: stains on the bedding and chairs, lights that didn't work, the 'welcome' fruit in the room was mouldy, the room smelt musty... just FILTHY.
- Even if the room had been clean, it was dingy, with the most bizarre lighting arrangement I have encountered in an hotel.
- The Manageress is the embodiment of exactly what customer service is not - she was arrogant, offensive, defensive, rude and totally refused to acknowledge that there were problems (other reviewers have said this, too)
- Even the senior managers/owners didn't give a hoot when we complained to them, too!

This is NOT a five-star, deluxe hotel. It may think it is, but it can dream on.

Avoid this place at all costs and check into The Dragon Hotel instead - a fraction of the price, with a Manageress (Lynne), who knows exactly what good customer service is!

We did end up getting a partial refund from Morgans, but - oh! - the hassle it took!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Thebristar
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Renovated from an old shipping office this hotel has buckets of character and "boutique" rooms in different styles and furnishings named mainly after some of the old ships that sailed from the port check out the options on the website. Very well situated for the center of Swansea and the new marina area with pubs eateries and atttactions. Very convenient car park at the front door as well. The main lobby/bar is attractive and well stocked and has quite a broad selection of food available the restaurant is also attractive with some nice meal options and reasonable prices (for an hotel). Must be popular with locals as there where a number of special meals going on for parties birthday etc while we where there and even a retirement breakfast party and by the way the brakfast is a full Welsh breakfast woth good choices. Not cheap mind you especially for some of the larger themed rooms but free wi fi and parking and a full breakfast go a long way towards adding value.

Room Tip: If you would like like to treat yourself go for one of the huge luxury rooms some of whch have a bat...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Back in July I had to spend four days in Swansea and I chose the Morgans Hotel and I am glad that I did.

The hotel is in the middle of Swansea, it has a limited car park right outside the front door and in all the nights I spent at the hotel there was spare places in the car park. The hotel is directly oposite the main "night life" street in Swansea but far enough away as not to bother you while you are in the hotel

The room, Glade was large, very airy and of top quality in terms of furnishing and cleanliness, I had no problems with the room or with the Town House that the room is situated in, the Town House is over the side road to the hotel, literally 30 seonds away.

I used the bar meal service on two evenings and the food was very good, nice choice and all the food was well pprepared and served, and within 20 minutes of the order going in.

No problems with this hotel and I am looking forward to my next visit to the Morgans Hotel.

ps... this is the hotel were Cathrine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas stay

Room Tip: Glade was a good room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business