“very good ish!”

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
wales
“very good ish!”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I had a room and meal for a decent deal on a sunday evening, the room was good and the meal nice. The one problem was reception, checking out - was really useless. One member of staff on duty, with a 'problem' with the person in front of me, took far too long for what was actually their own incompetence....won't go on and on, but...later I found I'd been charged £5 more than had been booked on the internet.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
UK
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We stayed here as an Easter treat to ourselves and wish we hadn't bothered.
We had the room at on an offer, so it was cheaper than normal - however I would still say we did not get value for money!
We stay at a lot of nice hotels and this had been one I'd wanted to stay at for a while. However as I have family living nearby we never stayed here as it seemed easier to stay with them......now I really wish we had done that again!
We were put in the room Hafod. I think this was really our biggest problem - as another room may have been totally different. The room itself was ok - although could have been cleaner. The issue we really had was the noise. It was only a few feet from the reception desk and lobby so we had a lot of noise coming in from there. We asked almost immediately if we could swap to another room due to the noise, but were told we could only be moved to the Townhouse (which is a lot cheaper), although we were considering this we were then told there was no point in us moving as it was only noisy as there was a private party on and it would quiet down. We noticed the door to our room did not shut to the bottom so this was clearly why it was so noisy. It also made me think as we could hear every word said on reception they could probably hear us in our room!!
Our next big issue was the temperature in the room - it was freezing!!! We struggled for a while with trying to work the heating, but all we could get was cold air - when we went to reception we were told this is because we had air con in the room and has to ask if we actually wanted heating! (it was a very cold and windy day with rain showers not really an air con day!). They then changed this, but 30mins later we were still only getting cold air - so went back to reception. This time they offered for us to go into their office to look at their controls if we did not believe they had changed it. We stated we believed them - but it was still cold!! In fairness they did then put a portable heater in the room which warmed it up lovely.
However the noise problem did not stop! We tried watching a film in the room however the noise was disrupting it. We went back to complain and were told they would shut the door going to the bar to quieten it. It was quieter but still noisy - we complained again and were told we could not move as there were no other rooms (even cheaper ones in the townhouse) this was funny as when we looked online minutes later they have 4 rooms available!! The noise finally quietened down before midnight. But at 2am we had everyone coming back from nights out waking us up, then at 8am someone hoovering the reception area - which was of course right outside our room!!
The bathroom seemed nice as though it was a redeeming feature - however despite net type curtains as we were on the ground floor and the windows were normal glass people outside could see right in unless we shut the curtains- which then made it really dark! There were Molton Brown toiletries - which seemed nice, but they were not really thought through as there was a bath and shower gel in the bath and on the side, plus two shampoos but no conditioner. The bath and shower looked lovely - but having a shower was not great as you were left standing in inches of water the it did not drain away.
Breakfast was no better unfortunately! My boyfriends seemed quite nice - but I asked for two eggs and only got one (and that was not cooked properly - the white was still runny and raw) we could also see the people on the table next to us got the wrong breakfasts - no one ever came back to our table to offer more coffee or check the food was ok, so we ended up leaving.
It was meant to be a nice quiet romantic night away, with a planned lie in. Instead we both left tired and grumpy from a really bad night!!
I would not recommend this hotel, unless you are going on a night out in Swansea as the hotel is in a great location and the bar is nice for drinks! Yes there were some nice touches - like fresh flowers - but I'd rather have had a quieter room with more privacy!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah6969pink
wales
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I have stayed at Morgans Hotel on 5 occassions, and I have had to complain each time. This purports to be a 5 star hotel but falls sadly short. The staff are young and inexpereinced and poorly trained. Their attirude is one where they could not care less. The rooms are dingy and noisy, at the front from the road at the back because of a news paper printing depot next door. The rooms are well decorated but are let down by poor maintainance eg doors do not lock. On the occassion I stayed during January there was no heating in half the hotel!
The only advantage of this hotel is that is located in the middle of Swansea. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank goldcherub
Cardiff
Reviewed 3 March 2010

This is my second review of Morgan's, and my third stay there in the past two years. I usually wouldn't bother reviewing the same hotel again but just had to given how good this hotel is, and to put to right some of the slightly negative reviews before me...

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Sketty Belle room for the weekend of Valentines day. The hotel had put on offer an excellent package - dinner, B&B for £200 which quite frankly was brilliant value.

We arrived at 2pm and the room wasn't ready, however was ready at 2.30pm. There is a great bar next to the restaurant where they do nice coffee's etc at reasonable prices.

The room (Sketty Belle) was perfect. The hotel is situated in Swansea's original maritime offices, so expect high ceilings, elegant interiors and exteriors all tastefully redecorated. The room appeared to have been recently redecorated, and everything was spot on. Large TV, huge comfortable bed, big bath and shower etc. The room is situated on the front of the hotel, opposite the perhaps infamous Wind Street, however we weren't woken by noise from outside whatsoever.

The staff at the hotel are very helpful and friendly, it's not a stuffy place but is modern and worthy of a four star rating at minimum.

The evening meal consisted of five courses in the hotel restaurant, opened by a champagne reception in the bar. The whole evening was really well organised, and the food was magnificant. Could not fault any part of the evening, staff were ready to attend and deal with any additional orders etc and the atmosphere was just right.

My only criticism of this place is the breakfast. We arrived at around 9.30am for the breakfast, it was due to end at 10am. There were no glasses left, no orange juice left, and the full welsh breakfast is somewhat minimal, consisting of one sausage, a few pieces of bacon, a black pudding and a tomato. Additionally, all the pastries and the 'continental breakfast' selection has disappeared by 9.30am. Maybe we left it too late, but every time we've stayed there we've had the same problem with breakfast. That, however, is the ONLY thing Morgans can improve on.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Caerphilly
Reviewed 21 February 2010

What an impressive building on first impressions and what a disappointment it is to stay here. My party paid £125 per room for 8 rooms for a business visit looking at the regeneration of Swansea and thought this listed building was an obvious place to stay. the first person to arrive found the debris of the previous occupants' binge had not been cleared away; my room was clean but frankly shabby for a hotel claiming the standard this one aspires to. The beige and brown decor was rather tired and not helped by scuff marks to paint work and furnishings; the bedside rug was grubby and cheap and of a 'quality' I would not expect from a downmarket B&B. While the bathroom was smart and armed with scented toilet paper (oh really!) the proprietors could only manage UHT milk cartons for the in-room coffee facilities, even though it would have taken next to no bother to put fresh milk in the refrigerated mini bar.
The staff were cheerful if lacking in the professionalism one might hope for, but as my room was very close to reception I must say I'd have been grateful if they could have shut up now and then during the night. However the plumbing which is clearly pretty ancient and ineffectual gurgled so much during the night I honestly don't know who kept me awake - the chatty staff or the noisy plumbing.
We had dinner in the restaurant which seemed ok for most of the party but as a vegetarian the choice of main courses (2 on offer) were both stodgy and unremarkable - presumably the trainees were catering for us veggies - and totally unworthy of a restaurant with any ambition or imagination. I have to say however that the bread and butter pudding and custard were both superb.
I was left thinking that it was a real shame that this place was not as good as its billing because Wales needs decent hotels in its main towns and cities.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
South Wales
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I recently stayed here when my boyfriend booked a special offer during January. We had a great time and a great rate which included dinner, bed and breakfast for us both for a great price. Check in was efficient and we were taken to our room which was huge with an equally huge bathroom. The decor was tasteful and modern - much better than the Celtic Manor where the rooms are dated. A fantastic double shower too with Molton Brown accessories. The room was clean as were the communal areas.

We had dinner at the hotel, which was 3 courses and this was lovely. The breakfast at the hotel was also fab, with plenty of choice and the service was speedy. Cannot rate this hotel highly enough, and it was great value for money in a good, central location. I would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Beautiful old building, huge bedrooms and initially very impressive...but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The huge walk-in shower in my room came with a notice to warn you that if you didn't keep the bathroom door shut, the steam would set the fire alarm off! Fittings are cheap, the in-room tea and coffee was what you'd expect in a Travelodge, the service is patchy, the gym was closed. None of it's bad, it's just nowhere near the standard of a proper 5 star. I stayed at the Marriott close by a few weeks later - far better value and its marina/sea views compensate amply for the 'character' you might feel you're missing by staying at Morgans.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo