“This is what Swansea has been crying out for!”
Review of Mosaic

Mosaic
Ranked #5 of 662 Restaurants in Swansea
Price range: US$6 - US$64
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant, bar, lounge and function venue. World fusion tapas with excellent vegetarian, gluten free and vegan options! Available to open any day subject to reservations. Sunday's are variable dependent on bookings! CLOSED FROM END OF BUSINESS 13/8/16 till 6pm on WEDNESDAY 24/8/2016. Reservations can still be left on phone.
“This is what Swansea has been crying out for!”
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

Discovered this gem of a place by "accident" yesterday.

And wow what a place.

Let's start with the decor - contempory, modern, simple, chic!

Now the service. Attentive without being over bearing. Professional but very very friendly.

But the best part has to be the food!!!

The menu is imaginative and very impressive  - from the sandwiches to the burgers to the home made vegetarian gluten free soup of the day  -  my only trouble was choosing what to have.

In the end I opted for the soup of the day - Sweet potato and ginger - with a salad from the help yourself salad bar!  It was both filling and delicious. And to serve it in an "old fashioned" enamel saucepan is just inspired!!

My companion opted for the Chicken Caesar Salad and was equally impressed.

We both would have loved to have sampled the deserts (they looked fantastic) and coffee but unfortunately didn't have time - had to rush to a meeting (that was our fault not the service which was speedy and efficient!)

Finally the cost - very very reasonable. I have paid a lot more for a much inferior meal in many a restaurant.

All in all I can not recommend this bistro highly enough.  This was obviously my first visit - it certainly won't be my last - I've even decided what I'm having next time - the banana and bacon sandwich!!

Well done guys and thank you!!!

4 Thank Welshguy1970

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“The coolest new place to eat in Swansea”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This place appeals on so many levels. One of the regeneration enterprises to hit the High Street and the High Street looks all the better for it. An eye catching frontage which draws you towards it. So I thought I would give it a go and I am so glad that I did.

Dining alone can sometimes make you feel like Billy no mates, but on walking through the door I realised that this was not going to be one of those places. I was greeted promptly, welcomed warmly and guided gently to a table which conveniently gave me a good view of the whole restaurant. This place oozes comfortable professionalism.

I chose a bottomless coffee to allow me time to scan the menus and as I had arrived on the cusp of the Breakfast and Lunch service I got to see both menus, although having had breakfast a few hours earlier I decided to go for something off the lunch list. However I was tempted by several of the breakfast items and was pleased to see a Mosaic take on eggs Benedict and even more enticing was smoked salmon Benedict, I will be back for that someday soon.

The menus were printed on sheets of brown paper which reminded me of the paper used to wrap parcels and these sheets were on a clip board. This was the first of many quirky design features I noticed, but I will refrain from detailing them all as I really think you should see them for yourselves.

I settled for a king prawn chowder to start accompanied by a glass of house white, then a "why kick a moo cow" burger which is a spinach and falafel burger augmented by sweet potato fries. I decided to try a glass of red with this. The house wines were under the Flagtree label, the white a Sauvignon Chardonnay which was clean and crisp and the red a Merlot Malbec Cabernet. A welsh connection here as this wine is produced in Patagonia, Neuquen to be exact and I thought it an excellent house choice being medium bodied and with legs to match.

The staff were attentive but not intrusive and the short wait for my food gave me time to take in the wow factor created by the interior design. Everywhere I looked I found myself thinking, that's clever or that's innovative or that's stylish or that's well......mind blowing. The two guys who lead the show stopped by and chatted now and then and it became clear that this creation, Mosaic, was the result of their own flair, imagination and experience.

The food certainly lived up to the by now high expectations, the chowder arrived in an enamelware pan on a wooden board with two mini baguettes set at crossed swords to the side, simple but very effective. The burger was housed in a ciabatta roll and the sweet potato chips nestled in greaseproof paper inside a mini frying basket, it was clear the interior design was all encompassing.

Well presented food prepares you for tasty food and when the food does not match the presentation it is a big let down. No such worries here though, the chowder was robust and bursting with flavour and the mini baguettes helped me soak up the remaining delicious liquour. I am not a vegetarian but I decided to try a vegetarian option as it has to be good to please a carnivore, and please it did. Layers of flavour trapped between the ciabatta delighted my taste buds and the Patagonian wine complimented it superbly. No room for dessert but the pudding club selections were tempting.

A further cup of my bottomless coffee to round off an unexpected lunchtime and a few more moments to take in the surroundings. This venue exudes warmth and welcome and yet a lot of the design is stark, bold and intriguing sometimes employing exposed pipe and ducting, quite quasi-industrial. Mosaic would not look out of place in The Design Centre, the difference is that at Mosaic I was able to have great food along with an experience that was memorable and affordable.

• Visited September 2012