“the mermaid mumbles”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2013

while strolling down mumbles we called into the mermaid for lunch, we had a pleasant table outside and the waiter attended to us straight away, the wine was very good and an average price,we ordered our food and it came quickly and it was very nice and we would definitely go back .

2  Thank Debbie D

Reviewed 10 August 2013

All was good! Then we waited 35 minutes for starters! Baked mushrooms were ok, my 3 rings of calamari were dripping with oil. As I mentioned my portion this lovely young waitress sorted me out 3 more. Looked more like a portion, she apologised even though it weren't her fault. Plates taken! 55 minutes later mains. Over cooked swordfish (to the point I sent it back) and under cooked steak a well done shouldn't bleed! Not happy we cut our loses and left. The waitress did try sorting us out, but by then it was too too late.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Food average, service poor.
We entered this half-empty restaurant at 6:25 and ordered three mains, no starters at 6:30. At 7:20, after asking a waiter, I was told they would be coming in 5 minutes. At 7:30 I told a waiter that if they didn't arrive in 3 minutes we would leave. They arrived at 7:35. My "medium rare" steak was very well done, and the chips that came with two of the dishes had obviously been cooked some time earlier and kept warm. There were a few other niggles that showed a lack of care with the order.
When I complained, the manager said that the delay was caused by a lack of kitchen staff, as he hadn't expected the volume of customers. He said that it would be helpful if customers made reservations by phone and not just walk-in, so that he could arrange the right numbers of staff. There was a clear suggestion that we were to blame for the problems!
I can understand how a restaurant can struggle to meet unexpected demand, but it really wasn't very busy, and that would only explain the delay, not the problems with the food.
And there is no excuse for ignoring us for nearly an hour after taking our order - we should certainly have been warned of the delay.

1  Thank DavidYork
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had high hopes for the re-opened Mermaid, as I think there's definitely potential for this kind of restaurant along the Mumbles front to do well.
First impression was good,tastefully decorated with a welcoming feel.I'm afraid that's about as good as this review gets.
Service was pleasant but so slow.Starters were average at best.The parsnip soup was so bad I left most of it.
Mains were again very ordinary,the rump steak full of gristle,the chips had a horrible tang to them and the other dishes of risotto and fish were underwhelming.The restaurant prides itself on being family friendly but my three year old had the worst deal - cheap,tasteless pizza with undercooked chips.
We'll go back for a coffee and a cake,but no chance of ordering anything more substantial.So disappointing.I hope they get their act together,as a restaurant with poor food is just not going to last!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Very poor. The staff seemed friendly and polite. The food however was not good. Had a nocoise salad with salmon - no eggs, lots of green leaf lettuce and extremely hard potatoes. The salmon extremely overcooked. Also a platter of grilled starters, I think if restaurants deep fry things they should at least learn how as it is the most simple. Very disappointing, hope for them that it is not the usual effort.

1  Thank DibleyD