“Grand all round .”

The Grand Hotel Swansea
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Location excellent for transport. Decent breakfast. Comfortable beds. Great dinner in the bar . Sticky toffee pudding gorgeous. Lovely atmosphere in bar. Staff very pleasant. hotel spotless throughout. Room 303 was really spacious and lovely. Loved the mugs in the room for tea. Nicer than the smaller usual tea cups provided. great place to stay .So handy for early train. Literally just hopped across the road.

Air con not working first night. When i mentioned it in the morning we were immediately moved to a lovely room where the air-con was working. Sometimes the water was hot when you wanted it cold! Only problem and it was sorted swiftly , efficiently and with apologies .

Room Tip: check the air con before you settle in .
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank claremorrisdolly

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is perfectly situated if you are travelling by train, but less convenient if using your own car. There is no parking at the hotel, but the adjacent station car park is very convenient although it cost £6 to park overnight.
The hotel itself was once (as the name implies) a grand place. It has been modernised nicely and the rooms were very comfortable - although very small. The rooms have air conditioning but the windows can't be opened and whether they are set to "heating" or "cooling" is controlled by Reception (when I asked for a change this was done immediately).
Check-in was very quick, friendly and efficient. The Receptionist was anxious to help in any way.
The bathroom was clean and modern, but had the big bottles of toiletries stuck on the wall (something I don't really like).
Breakfast was cooked to order and good without being exceptional.
There was nothing at all to complain about, but I might look at a different hotel simply because the rooms were so small. The colleague who travelled with me actually liked this, and described it as "cosy".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The situation of the Hotel is ideal if you arrive, as I did , by train it is only just across a side street from the station with a bus stop sited between, but I am still unsure if the Grand is a hotel with a bar or a pub with rooms. Reception contains a coffee shop so that all the seating can be full leaving nowhere for guests of the hotel to sit whilst waiting. The rest of the ground floor is made up of a rather rough looking bar, with a similar clientel which to my surprise I was directed to for dinner, not a salubrious area for eating at all.
My room was of a typical modern lay out and I could have been anywhere in the world. I did have an unfortunate encounter with a temperamental water system in the bathroom I was never sure when I would be able to get either hot or cold water never both, on my first morning I had to boil the kettle for hot water to shave and on my last morning I had to shave with cold water.
The food in the bar for dinner was very disappointing on the first evening; the breaded mushroms were overcooked with the outer casing very hard and brittle and the mushrooms were well named they were mushy, main course was chicken curry with chips and rice, the chicken was tasteless and once again overcooked, the rice was uneatable leaving me with just the chips; I was also charged for a drink whicj should have been a free extra. The second night of my stay I chose the safest meal I could find; fish and chips, which was acceptable.
The beakfast was served in the upstairs dining room which I found much better and acceptable, I even had a full Welsh breakfast including lava bread and cockles.
All in all not he best place to stay unless the position of the hotel is important.
One favourable point is that the staff were extremely nice and accommodating, although there seemed to be far too few; in the evening there were only two, apart from kitchen staff, a receptionist and a bar person both doubled as waiters and maintenance personnel.
The room position is quite important because of the position of the Hotel on a very busy noisy junction.

Room Tip: At the back away from the junction
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

So many positives and just a few wrinkles.
Minor irritants:
1. A kettle is provided for tea/coffee making. BUT the lead is so short and there is NO power socket nearby (in my room anyway). So I had to remove the phone to the floor and use the table between the twin beds.
2. Even after letting the "cold" tap run for 5 minutes - it was tepid.

Now the good news. Really clean and welcoming. I MUST commend particularly the reception staff.
As a trans woman I am used to receiving a variety of responses from sales assistants and hotel staff.
Whether it is their selection and or training processes I must applaud the sensitivity and warmth of all who I encountered but particularly Trudy.
I was made to feel totally at ease and comfortable.
Well done Grand Hotel
I may not be Arnold Schwarzenegger, but "I'll be back".

Room Tip: If you need Wifi let them know, because some rooms are a lot better than others.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Josi P
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for one night for Wales Probs v Poss last week. Location great as next to Station. Receptionist very friendly and helpful. Room basic but clean but upgraded as no remote for TV. Second room obviously more expensive but again very clean. Shame windows didn't open but that's prob due to health and safety. Excellent breakfast with friendly waitress. Bar very slow to get served as only one barman working and he didn't seem to want to serve a woman on her own as I had to say twice that I was next - all I wanted was a bottle of water but only sparkling available ! Would stay again though due to position and ease of bus to Liberty Stadium.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for a friends birthday night out. The receptionist on arrival was very friendly and helpful. However our twin room was very disappointing as there were signs on both windows saying 'do not open the windows'. I find it hard to believe that this room should actually be in use as surely you should be able to open windows!? It was very stuffy in the room, there were also a few other maintenance issues in the room such as lamp shades missing, light bulbs out etc. The bar downstairs was nice and the hotel did serve its purpose for the occasion but I would be reluctant to stay again as I would fear having a room where no fresh air is possible again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Booked this because of the location - next to station as we were travelling by train .
Staff friendly and helpful.

Our room was very small, the bed was a small double , and the bathroom was tiny.

It was stuffy, aircon was slow - couldn't open a window, no fresh air, which gave me a headache.
This hotel's name is not accurate - Grand it most certainly is NOT.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple