“Family Wedding”

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Swansea
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Family Wedding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed for two nights for a family wedding which was also held in the hotel. Couldn't fault it, pleasant staff, nice food, nice room with lovely views, plenty of parking and good location. If I had one small niggle it would be that breakfast service was not quick enough, however I must say that this is a very minor point.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank InspectorAndy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bury, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've stayed in a few village hotels and they've generally been lovely so when I had to work in Swansea I thought nothing of booking my stay at this hotel. Booking itself was a hassle I orginally booked for 1 night online but had to change to 2 nights so I called up to add on a night which wasgfine but they couldn't guarantee I'd get the same room but they'd check and confirm. Next day I'd heard nothing so I called back and got told they still didn't know. I didn't find out until I got to the hotel (which is very badly signposted from the main road) that I'd got the same room. Checking in a lady gave me a form to fill in I told her about the room fiasco she said she'd look into it for me then promptly abandoned reception leaving her college to check me in, which meant I had to repeat myself about the room fiasco. Once checked in I was given my room key with no instructions as to where my room is, when breakfast is served or anything really. When I got to my room there was no information on when breakfast was served or what the wifi code was so I triedccalling reception but no one answered. Opened my curtains to look at my "waterfront view" oh dear if you like cranes or building site this place is perfect for you. Also on the inside on my windows sill a big bird poo...... Perfect.
My first nights sleep was awful the walls are like tissue paper I swear I could hear the person in the next room snoring. I could hear every door on my row open and close. Every baby screaming and every drunk night goer shouting at 4am. If that wasn't bad enough the fan in the bathroom was very loud. Also despite my attempts to turn the heating down the room was very very warm and stuffy. The only thing that saves this hotel is friendliness of the breakfast staff. They were lovely.
The location of this hotel is ok about a 15 minute walk to the centre. The area is very much a building site and the hotel itself doesn't look great from the outside.
The hotel attracts hen parties and night outers do if your after a good night sleep I don't recommend it

• Stayed April 2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Used the Velocity pool and thought the actual changing rooms, and pool area were fantastic and they had a great seating area. The extremely main worry myself and partner (who used to lifeguard years ago) found was that the lifeguard totally lacked any concentration on the pool area, he was sat in his chair tapping away on his phone at one point! If it was adults just in the pool I would have no concerns but there were lots of the hotel visitors children in there! My partner is sending of an email as something bad could happen if this man is on shift. He was not guarding anyones life that is for sure! Had to give a low rating just due to safety, everything else was great. But safety comes first.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to have a relaxing weekend away. Just the two of us.
Although the hotel was nice, friendly staff, nice gym and pool.
Breakfast was great. Lots of choice. The rooms were clean and so was the rest if the hotel.
Lift was a tad slow.
The rooms had paper thin walls.
We happened to stay next door to a bride and groom. Now although no action was had that night. They came to bed at 4.10 and their children were awake!
Just a warning. Be careful cause if you can hear them they can hear you! Lol
I gave 4/5 as the hotel was nice. :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma W
Goole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent two nights there in 2 rooms, one for myself and wife, the other for my daughter, partner and two children (1x4yrs and 1x4months). Crib supplied as requested but forgot bedding for 4 year old, but quickly remedied. Rooms comfortable but a little tired. Breakfast very good but serving pots ned renewing as stained and chipped. Staff very friendly, but pub restaurant seems to have lost the plot menu wise. Used the pool and very good, but should state on the booking that no children after 17.30. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank glenslot
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We always stay at the Village Inn now when we go to Swansea. We've stayed at more upmarket hotels in Swansea such as Morgans and The Marriott, and they are nice, but pricey. We've also stayed at 'Christmas Pie', which is a lovely B&B in the Uplands, but decided that we wanted a restaurant for evening meals and a pool/gym.

The Village Inn Upper Deck rooms have a lovely sea view and are very quiet. Great beds and crisp upmarket linen, plus a BOSE sound deck, bottles of water and Starbucks goodies to make coffee/tea with in the room. The toiletries aren't much to write home about ( not sure they're 'nickable' as advertised on the website!), and I always take my own anyway, so no matter.

What makes this hotel so special is the exceptionally friendly welcome and willingness to help. The location is superb - plenty of really good dining/bar options within walking distance with sea/water views.

Parking is easy - the hotel does get busy with clients using the fitness club at times.
Driving down The Gower is easy, as is access to Swansea town centre.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FirstClassLady
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is in an ideal location next to the old docks which as seen great expansion over the last decade, it's within close proximity to Swansea City Center. Unfortunately, the day and evening we stayed at the hotel we were limited to sightseeing due to the 'blanket fog' that enveloped the Swansea and Mumbles coast.

A funny episode, we decided to have a snack in the bar/cafe area, we ordered, 'pitta bread' which consisted of olives, couscous, and of course 'pitta bread' there wasn't the required amount of 'pitta' so we asked for more, after a wait of at least 20 minutes the 'pitta bread' arrived in the form of 'bread and butter' with extra tubs of butter, it was quite funny. Breakfast was fine, plenty of choice. The staff are very friendly, which isn't unusual for West Wales.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple