“mixed fortunes”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
pembrokeshire
“mixed fortunes”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

booked the village as we have stayed before last minute deal a bit pricey but enjoyed our last stay the room was clean and tidy i don't know why but it just didn't seem as well kept or as exclusive as it used to be signs everywhere for this cabaret act or another breakfast as usual great hot help yourself staff as always first rate.

Room Tip: don't stay above front doors
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

we recently stayed for 3 nights in a family room which was quite small, we struggled to get cases past the end of the put up bed. Room was fairly clean however cracks in bathroom tiles and dirt on the back of toilet were a bit off putting! Breakfast was ok and staff helpful especially a young man named jonathan who couldnt do enough to help. our room was hot during the night but if we opened the window we just got noise from the bar below so wouldnt recommend if you want a good sleep, ive stayed in holiday inns and premier inns before and this hotel needs a lot of work before it reaches there standards!

Winslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here for just one night, and had a meeting room booked. Arrived just after 10pm and that meant no food available....not even room service....
Room was modern, and comfortable.
Breakfast had a good variety but the cooked to order poached eggs were hard.
Our Meeting room was great and the man in charge was very helpful helping to organise lunch and extra chairs for us. Lunch was ready on time and we had table all laid out ready which was great. Lunch was well priced, Bar staff friendly. The venue has a gym and pool but we didn't get time to use it, also Starbucks which was also a great addition to the hotel. I've stayed in 3 Village hotels now and can safely say I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
chester
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We're half way through a 3 night stay, only visiting as my daughter is swimming in a gala this weekend. The hotel is easy to find and is ideally located just a pleasant 10/15 minute walk from shops and restaurants. Check in was efficient and the receptionist was helpful and informative. The rooms are fine...clean enough, although there are black mould marks in the bathroom. The shower was not great; the temperature fluctuated a lot and the pressure was poor. The towel rails were very hot so beware if you have young children! A fridge would've been appreciated.
Having had a long day today, we attempted to order room service just after 7pm. The restaurant was busy and we couldn't get through but the receptionist promised that the restaurant would call back...they didn't! The receptionist did however! The receptionist proceeded to take our order and passed it to the restaurant. Unfortunately, the £3.50 room service charged was still applied despite the delays and furthermore, the order was wrong! I didn't telephone to complain as I didn't feel there was much point to be perfectly honest.....but then they didn't bother to check with us that everything was ok so I doubt they were particularly bothered!
The extra pillows we'd requested at tea time didn't arrive but to be quite honest, I didn't really expect them to given that the receptionist wrote our room number on her hand! There was a wedding at the hotel today so perhaps the staff were over stretched? I don't know...but I certainly don't feel we received a 4 star service.
On the plus side, breakfast was fine and the restaurant opened early for the swimming guests which was appreciated.
Would we return? I doubt it....it's ok but certainly not 4star! The staff seem friendly enough but all in all, it was rather disappointing!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed for two nights for a family wedding which was also held in the hotel. Couldn't fault it, pleasant staff, nice food, nice room with lovely views, plenty of parking and good location. If I had one small niggle it would be that breakfast service was not quick enough, however I must say that this is a very minor point.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank InspectorAndy
Bury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've stayed in a few village hotels and they've generally been lovely so when I had to work in Swansea I thought nothing of booking my stay at this hotel. Booking itself was a hassle I orginally booked for 1 night online but had to change to 2 nights so I called up to add on a night which wasgfine but they couldn't guarantee I'd get the same room but they'd check and confirm. Next day I'd heard nothing so I called back and got told they still didn't know. I didn't find out until I got to the hotel (which is very badly signposted from the main road) that I'd got the same room. Checking in a lady gave me a form to fill in I told her about the room fiasco she said she'd look into it for me then promptly abandoned reception leaving her college to check me in, which meant I had to repeat myself about the room fiasco. Once checked in I was given my room key with no instructions as to where my room is, when breakfast is served or anything really. When I got to my room there was no information on when breakfast was served or what the wifi code was so I triedccalling reception but no one answered. Opened my curtains to look at my "waterfront view" oh dear if you like cranes or building site this place is perfect for you. Also on the inside on my windows sill a big bird poo...... Perfect.
My first nights sleep was awful the walls are like tissue paper I swear I could hear the person in the next room snoring. I could hear every door on my row open and close. Every baby screaming and every drunk night goer shouting at 4am. If that wasn't bad enough the fan in the bathroom was very loud. Also despite my attempts to turn the heating down the room was very very warm and stuffy. The only thing that saves this hotel is friendliness of the breakfast staff. They were lovely.
The location of this hotel is ok about a 15 minute walk to the centre. The area is very much a building site and the hotel itself doesn't look great from the outside.
The hotel attracts hen parties and night outers do if your after a good night sleep I don't recommend it

• Stayed April 2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Used the Velocity pool and thought the actual changing rooms, and pool area were fantastic and they had a great seating area. The extremely main worry myself and partner (who used to lifeguard years ago) found was that the lifeguard totally lacked any concentration on the pool area, he was sat in his chair tapping away on his phone at one point! If it was adults just in the pool I would have no concerns but there were lots of the hotel visitors children in there! My partner is sending of an email as something bad could happen if this man is on shift. He was not guarding anyones life that is for sure! Had to give a low rating just due to safety, everything else was great. But safety comes first.