“Not bad but . . .”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Swansea
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Not bad but . . .”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Not a bad hotel and you won't hate it. My poor night's sleep had more to do with the teenagers slamming each other's doors than anything else.

There is a very strong smell of chlorine throughout the hotel due to the design of the fire escape going poolside. This does also allow hot air up to the rooms meaning that I had to put the room aircon on, something that I wouldn't normally consider necessity. The noise didn't help my sleep either.

The kitchen closes at 9:30, a bit early and the restaurant is one of the Vinny Vitos that I don't even like that much so missing dinner wasn't a hardship and there are other places to eat close by. At least it isn't a Bucca Di Beppo, I can't state how much I dislike them.

Pool is pretty good and is open till 10 without much effort taken to get you removed.

Staff are a good lot.

It is a smaller village and my stay was marred by the other guests and the hotel design. I didn't hate it but I doubt I shall use it again.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mark M, General Manager at Village Hotel Swansea, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the constructive review. We will learn from this feedback and aim to develop our guest experience.

We hope you visit again soon.

Best Wishes, Mark.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,269 helpful votes
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just stayed a night here but was happy with the hotel. The room was large and very clean. Staff were friendly. The bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Location is nice. I would recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark M, General Manager at Village Hotel Swansea, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Champkis

Thanks for the great review regarding your recent stay with us here at Village Urban Resort Swansea! We are really happy that you had a great stay, and experienced our breakfast with the fantastic choice we have to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Many Thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It was our first holiday with the baby and we were satisfied by the amenities provided by the hotel. We asked for the cot, but it came without any bedding, when we called reception they said they don't provide beddings for cot ( which was bit strange, they should inform us earlier) but they gave us some bedsheets. Apart from this everything was good. They have a nice pool and restaurants. The food was nice. The location is really good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Veenuja,

Many thanks for your review. We are thrilled to see you found the hotel to be in an excellent location and enjoyed the facilities we have to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

V.Kind Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights with our 15 month old grandchild. The facilities were excellent, the attitude of the staff was fantastic whatever the management are doing they should pass it on to other chains. In our original room the towel rail wasn't working, not normally a problem but with the torrential rain we need to dry some clothes. They sent a 'man that can' immediately but unfortunately he couldn't . The next thing we were offered an alternative room which happened to be an upgrade, which was really good as the hotel was extremely busy. Although busy we didn't seem to notice.
The pool was good and they even had a number of children's toys out on the Sunday evening. The hotel is a short walk from the town centre and a short drive from the beaches .
The only gripe I have as with all hotels is that the food and drink can be a bit on the expensive side, but I guess we have to live with that. Would stay there again and other hotels in the chain.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mark D,

Many thanks for the great review you have provided about your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

V.Kind Regards
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed on two occasions on business in May and found I had mixed feelings for the Village.
The business rooms were good and all helped by Marius who couldn't do enough.
The hotel is looking a bit tired though. Too many areas look scuffed and in need of a good lick of paint.
Staff are generally helpful and pleasant but the restaurant isn't brilliant. Breakfast has a good choice of food but the cooked items were only just about warm and sit under heated lamps for too long. We didn't use the main restauarant as the menu just didn't look interesting enough to stay in for.....so we didn't. The pub grub was mediocre and they must sell hundreds of chicken wings !!
The room was of a generous size but the air con seemed to need a good clear out as each time I used it the air ponged badly. My rooms were clean and free wi-fi is very good.
Overall I wouldn't rush back.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been on a long term contract and have been staying at The Village during the week for 6 months- the hotel is ideally situated if you fancy a stroll through to the main attraction, the rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff are excellent.
They have a large, very good bar which always shows the latest sports- and when the weather is good enough (not often) then the bar spreads out into the sunshine, and a good indicator of its popularity is the number of locals frequenting it.
The breakfast fare is very good indeed, and the food in the bar and restaurant is always well prepared.
There is also the added benefit of an OUTSTANDING gym and indoor swimming pool- free for hotel guests

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the front of the hotel (even numbers) and high up offer the best views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Proud to be British
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First time in a Village Urban Resort hotel and I am not sure what to make of it. Modernistic approach I suppose, staff seem very laid back, uniform is minimal or maybe I should say relaxed but that doesn't make it bad. Staff were friendly well mannered and helpful, rooms were comfortable and clean with all conveniences. Free WiFi, Free Parking and Free use of Leisure facilities, which are excellent, 25m heated pool, spa, sauna, fitness zone, cardio zone etc.
Food wise I was not impressed with the menu in the main restaurant (Vinny & Vito's) and the food I did order was overcooked to burnt, breakfast was a little better but only just. There is however a better, (pub grub) selection available in the Victory Pub & Kitchen. I do not want to appear negative about this hotel, some aspects were spot on others left a lot to be desired. I would say it was aimed at the younger business set and as such not for me but who knows maybe next time it will bowl me over.

1 Thank longhair9