“Great Campsite with beautiful views.”
Review of Hillend campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Hillend campsite
Dinas Powys, Wales, United Kingdom
“Great Campsite with beautiful views.”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Love this place. Been three years running. It has everything you need for a relaxing break. All you need is a tent! And a little sun helps.... With nice weather this is certainly one of the best locations and the cheapest holiday you can get, especially if you have children! Give a child a bucket & spade, sea and sand and who needs money.... There is a little shop on site and a cafe/restaurant. There are adequate shower facilities and toilets. I have always found the staff to be polite and friendly. As good as any place abroad with it's beautiful mountains and lovely beach... All we lack is the sun!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We spent 3 nights here and really enjoyed our stay. Very reasonable, at £54 for the three nights, you can't go wrong! Toilets and showers were always clean, however, were quite a long way from the family fields, they could do with building another at least toilet block between those fields as with children you really do need them closer. On site shop was very well stocked and very reasonable. Eddys cafe on site served lovely food, although disappointingly took last orders for food at half five, which seemed really early to eat. The campsite is right on the beach and is perfect if you fancy a quiet beach holiday. A perfect paradise for surfers! There is a lovely park on site for the children to play in. Very friendly on site staff.... One even gave us some milk to make a much needed morning cup of tea because the shop wasn't open! You can't beat that for service!!
Overall a very good site, very clean and tidy site, very well maintained - would stay there again!!

Room Tip: Would recommend you try and pitch your tent around the edge of the fields, this will offer some prot...
1 Thank Anwen P
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The location is to die for. Just 100 yards over the dunes to the gorgeous Rhosili beach.
The campsite is well set up and caters to families with two dedicated fields for families only.
With this in mind they are very strict about noise after 10pm and don't allow music.
These rules have resulted in numerous people being chucked off the site who are thus disgruntled and write lousy reviews. So if you want to go for a stag weekend think of somewhere else, but if you want a quiet family holiday with good surf and great views then this is the place.
The staff are very friendly and helpful - unless you flout the above rules!
Shower blocks are fine, lots of hot water, rarely queues.
The shop is OK for most things but little fresh veg.
The take away cafe is lousy, the restaurant is OK - menu sounds good but disappoints in delivery - the milk shakes, however, are almost worth the tip on their own!

Frome, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Having stayed here over 20 years ago I had some idea of the reputation that Hillend had. ( I was probably one of those who made it so well known but for all the wrong reasons) However looking at the website and reading the reviews made me think that it was probably worth another try if not just for the fabulous location.
I'm so glad that I decided to take my family back to Hillend ! We went with another couple and their younger children. The site was busy when we arrived but we still found plenty of space with the fields all clean and well drained.The showers and toilets were clean and well lit at night.
The staff were all very friendly and I find it hard for anyone to have a problem with any of the rules as these are clearly laid out when you arrive and on the back of the receipt. I'm sure that the only reason that they are enforced so much is due to the reputation that this site used to have. My only suggestion would be to swap the family fields to 1 and 2 as they would be closer to the toilet / shower block.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I loved the festival style of pitching were you like - it was fun and relaxed. Wanted electric hook up but there were only six pitches so it was never going to happen. This was a disappointment as I had arrived with a big fridge full of food that by the second/third day we probably shouldn't have eaten - but did!

As the pitches are not designated it was a free for all. I like my 10 year old to meet friends and play in the field in front of us. This does not happen here - the children congregate in the park - which isn't to my liking.

Showers and toilets were too far from the 4th field - especially as these further fields were designated for families. This was problematic with a two year old. Its the first time I've been glad he is still in nappies.

The park already mentioned isn't suitable AT ALL for younger children. I would say 6+ - which meant an upset baby who couldn't understand why he wasn't being allowed to play.

Showers were adequate. I would prefer to pay to have a continuous flow of water and then see a reduction in the extortionate price of the pitch (£21 a night - with no electricity).

I didn't have any trouble with the staff at the entrance. They were extremely helpful. We had two first aid crisis which they dealt with calmly and well (nothing major) and had no problem taking a payment by card.

Think calling the diner a "Restaurant" is lame. I don't like receiving my desert the same time as my main. The workers in the restaurant were all a little lazy. Don't think it was intentional - just the inability to see how to clean up and keep on top of things. Staff in the shop were excellent.

I would go there again simply because of the location - which was fantastic. However it is far from the best campsite I have been to - which is a terrible shame as it could be amazing.

1 Thank Allison J
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Spent a weekend here for my first trip to the Gower. Amazing location, brilliantly clean toilets and lovely hot showers. From the moment we arrived the staff were really friendly and helpful but not over authoritative. Atmosphere felt really laid back and relaxed. The site is large and was busy but it was very peaceful in the evenings and didn't feel like a large campsite at all. Cafe and shop were excellent and all in all we couldn't fault this site and location. We will definitely be back!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Excellent campsite with good facilities and a wonderful location. It is however let down badly by some of the staff who are not just unfriendly but downright rude at times. It's a shame that in one of Wales' best beach spots that we have such genuinely nasty people running the show. It certainly doesn't help our tourism industry!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Andy W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
The King Arthur Hotel
#1 of 5 in Llangennith
Western House B&B
Western House B&B
#2 of 5 in Llangennith

Been to Hillend campsite? Share your experiences!