“Happy Campers”
Review of Hillend campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swansea
Hillend campsite
Reviewed 21 June 2014

As born again camping virgins, my husband & I decided on Hillend for our first time as we are lucky enough to live just 30 mins from this site. It didn't disappoint - the site was well laid out, staff were friendly & facilities very good. We didn't experience any of the heavy handed monitoring of noise & behaviour that some other reviewers have commented on, luckily our fellow campers all respected the site rules, which after all, are only there to guarantee that everyone enjoys their stay. Didn't use the shop & only had a cup of tea at Eddie's cafe, so can't comment on the food, although the menu looked tempting and reasonably priced. The only negative was it's opening times - it didn't open until gone 10am (June 20th), which is far too late when you have to vacate your pitch by midday - and closed at 5pm, which is too early for anyone wanting an early evening meal. Apparently the opening hours are extended in the high season though. The sites biggest positive has to be it's location, just a few minutes through the sand dunes to stunning Rhossili beach. Add in fab weather & you couldn't wish for anywhere better. Hope to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Field 2, which is not too far from the shower & toilet block.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Due to a mix up, my young sons and I arrived before the start of the 2014 season but the general manager couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating.

A beautiful location, great facilities and quality management made for a great stay and we'll be back in the summer.

I visited Hill End as a youth and people like me would have put me off taking my family now so I'm delighted to hear that the noisy partying is in the past.

Apologies if you took your family in 1995.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Squire-Squire
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have been coming here for years around the same time and it's usually so busy you can't get a decent pitch if you don't arrive before 1pm. This year you can camp where you like it's not busy at all. Couldn't believe they put the prices up too so myself and a friend paid £50 for 2 nights! As others have reported the staff could do with retraining or replacing, they're the local meatheads coming around every hour in the evening to check your not talking too loud or your barby isn't too hot and that your tucked up in your tent at midnight with the light off.
So to summarise its a wonderful setting with beautiful views and close to the surf but it's expensive for what it is. We will still visit Hillend as it's good for surf but will only pay the £3 parking next year and stay elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Leighton P
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a fantastic time staying here. The views were brilliant and the facilities even better.

The staff were friendly and the price at great value - £10 per person, per night for the two of us.

The campsite is within walking distance of the beach. The closest surf shop is a drive away, though the site itself does offer lessons, but not board hire. The beach is vast and beautiful, with gorgeous sand and great walks.

I didn't give the site five stars for a couple of things. Firstly, I was a bit surprised that the staff came over to tell my friend and I that we shouldn't have a BBQ, as it might mark the ground. Once he realised that we had actually put the BBQ onto rocks he was pleased, but I just found it a little annoying that he felt the need to come and have a word with us, but not the older man who was extremely drunk and loud in the middle of the night! I'm sure we weren't being targeted because we are young, but it was just a shame that anything needed to be said at all!

It's a great site, and I would recommend it to all!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I spent one night at Hillend campsite, and although the location and facilities are very good, at £25 for a two man tent, it is far too expensive. Unfortunately, for this reason, we won't be going back again. It's a real pity because we love the beach there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ericamcc
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Being a Gower resident I have been frequenting Hillend over the last 30 odd years. I would say from the outset that if you are young and are expecting the carefree, anarchic all night party venue that this place once was you will be disapointed. Long gone are the days when hoardes of fun lovers, me being one of them, made a beeline for Hillend every weekend, hitting the Kings Head until closing time and stumbling back to the site for very noisy all night parties.

Now Hillend is a different beast, quiet, civilised and well appointed with good clean shower/toilet blocks and a decent cafe. Site rules are rigid so no noise after 10pm, something that I personally don't have any issue with at all. When I camped there last June with a group of mates we went down on the dunes, well away from the site, where we could make a fire and enjoy sipping away at cold beers well into the night. I found the staff in general to be decent although mention has to be made of the guy who races up and down the beach at night on his quad bike checking out folks with fires on the beach. He did seem to be in a bit of a power trip to me!!

Anyway, to summarise, if you are looking for a chilled out break with friends or family then it doesn't get much better than this. Gorgeous location next to one of the World's best beaches, decent reliable surf, good facilities and a great pub just up the road. Perfect!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jez B
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Awesome location and facilities are good and clean. Food at the cafe was also good. However the campsite staff are like nightclub doormen.

Due to the quite expensive prices and the restrictions on any sort of evening socialising we won't be going back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends