“Good food”

Ranked #492 of 685 Restaurants in Swansea
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Busy, noisy but good fun - food consistently good and the lunch menu is good if on a budget - great location

Recommend and if in a hurry has a quick efficient service

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Its the first time in my life I have visited a restaurant that has bouncers on the door ! Night clubs and some pubs yes, but never a restaurant ! Not exactly a reassuring experience when you enter and needless to say the bouncers didn't restrict themselves to the outside doors, they promenaded through the restaurant on several occasions primarily to impose themselves on a "Hen Party" that was taking place in the restaurant. You are offered two sittings, 6pm or 9pm, we chose the 9pm. The restaurant is very similar to those that you tend to come across all over the world in any dock side regeneration project. Located in in an old warehouse shed it's well designed and furnished, it does generate quite a decent atmosphere, you have to order at a counter which displays all the fish and meat that is on offer that evening along with a few dishes of the day. When you order you feel as if you'll never see any food but amongst the chaos the system does work ! The food is acceptable and the service appeared to be prompt although the antics taking place at the "Hen Party" kept us occupied basis so we probably didn't notice if the service was slow or not !
One thing that was disappointing was at the end of the evening we ordered some French cognac and emphasised it should be French only to be served some poor quality Spanish brandy, something that we had to bring to their attention which they immediately replaced, but it shouldn't have happened ! Overall you get the feeling this restaurant is doing well, more for been seen at, rather than for what is on offer and the staff are in danger of becoming a little over confident and complacent ! And as for the bouncers, forget it !

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked a table for 15 people for my husbands birthday and was looking forward to an enjoyable evening but it was clear from the start that the service was just a shambles!
There was no greeting on arrival and we were left for about 10 minutes before anyone came to take a drinks order. We were then left with absolutely no explanation that we were expected to go up to the counter to order and not told our table number. After waiting for about ten minutes I had to approach a member of staff to find out what was going on and asked if they were able to split the bill when it came to payment. I was directed to the restaurant manager who explained that the bill could only be split if we split down our table into four different tabs. I thought that this was acceptable but he then said that he couldn't guarantee that the whole party would eat at the same time. When I asked if it was not possible to communicate with the chefs to treat the four smaller tabs as one lager tab he said that this was not possible!! Really??? He said that we were not his only guests and that the restaurant was busy, I don't see how that makes a difference to whether or not the chefs can send a parties food out at the same time!!
Our guests all had cash so we decided to keep the bill as one and queue for our food. The staff taking orders were disorganised and lacking in training and the food when it eventually came was fine but over priced and it would have been nice if we had been told that there is no garnish or vegetables accompanying the meal as we would have ordered some!!
On the plus side, La Perilla does have nice decor and atmosphere but unfortunately the service is so poor that we definitely won't be returning!!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Really annoyed me and cheesed me off when I called in to make a reservation. They basically told me to go away and do it online. What ever happened to personal service? Where about common courtesy? Lazy and unwelcoming. I went elsewhere.

4  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is a very busy bustling place and not the place for a quiet lunch or dinner. Got off to a really poor start, arrived about 20 mins early and very limited seated and limited space to wait. Toward the end of our wait we seemed to be getting in everyone's way as there were so many people waiting. Table was booked for 1400 hrs and at 1410 the diners at our table were 'having coffee'!!!!

Eventually seated at 1415 which if you are trying to have lunch in the working lunch hour this makes it pretty impossible so please be aware of this. Ordered food and the guy was very helpful & pleasant. Taken to our table for 10 which was a tad comfortable almost had to move elbows synchronously!

Food arrived (my Brie was a little overcooked and ran everywhere) shortly after being seating and both starters and mains were above average. Fries were overcooked and quite crispy - didn't bother to complain as by now time was against us.

The service was absolutely fine, serving staff very polite, professional and helpful. The noise however remained overwhelming and on a trable for 10 made it impossible to hear what was being said at the opposite end of the table so precluded a table wide discussion.

All in all OK but would not rush back. Have rated the service as average as the delay and lack of space/seating distracted from the good service at the table and when ordering

2  Thank Commz