The prices are pretty high for what you get, even on the early bird menu. The real problem I had though was with the front of house staff. Whilst the food was delicious, the service was bad. I had to ask for napkins and a finger bowl, I would have expected these items to come as standard with ribs!
A possible health and safety violation as I witnessed a waitress cleaning a table nearby that was already set with cutlery - getting cleaning detergent all over the cutlery.
I also saw a managerial type man in plain clothes, re-seat a family who were clearly friends of his, to a table a waitress had been preparing for another set of customers, meaning the waitresses customers would have had a longer wait while she prepared another table.
As nice as the food was, I wouldn't come back for that service.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.