“Such a catch”
Review of Fish City

Fish City
Ranked #62 of 1,098 Restaurants in Belfast
Price range: US$4 - US$17
Description: Located on Ann Street, Fish City is a lively Fish & Chip restaurant & take-away specialising in sustainably sourced and award winning seafood dishes and were recently awarded Seafood Establishment of the Year 2019, and Belfast's Best Eatery 2019. As well as offering classic dishes such as Fish & Chips, there is an extensive menu of seafood, meat & vegetarian dishes, offering customers creative dishes using local produce and ingredients. With a passion for sustainability, Fish City were awarded the UK’s healthiest and most sustainable Fish & Chips (National Fish & Chip Awards UK 2018). Fully licensed, there is an extensive wine list accompanied with a great selection of local craft beers & ciders. A casual vibe with a nautical themed interior, Fish City has two floors that can accomodate large group bookings. A private room is also available for those groups who wish to avail of private dining. Family friendly, Fish City has a bespoke menu for children. Gluten Free options available.
Reviewed 3 January 2020

I called in here the other day as I was out shopping with the wife and I decided to get food and let her shop away, i ordered the seafood chowder and i must say it's the best ive ever tasted i then decided to order a lage fish and chip which was mouth watering. The batter was like nothing I've tasted before. I got talking to the manager about the fish and learned they where MSC certified I had never heard of this before but it was so interesting that they can tell me the sea it came from the boat it came of and that they fish in sustainable waters, everything is traceable I think this is such a great example to set and to teach young people it was nice that she took the time to tell me all about her business it really is a success and I will definitely be back next time I'll let the wife come to.

Date of visit: January 2020
FishCityBelfast, Manager at Fish City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review and for sharing all the great feedback - look forward to welcoming you and your wife again soon!

Write a reviewReviews (725)

Reviewed 3 January 2020

Stopped by to have a quick lunch with my husband, I was greeted at the door by a young lady who introduced herself and took us to our table, she was very attentive we ordered our food and drinks I ordered a tea and a gourmet burger my husband ordered a tea and two starters of chicken wings and squid (he already had something previously) our drinks came followed by our meal it looked and smelt amazing, the burger was delicious very filling. My husband didnt leave a thing (speaks for itself) he even went and ordered more wings to take home!! Sionhan our waitress such a pleasant girl and a delight to talk to, my overall experience has left me to leave this review as there are very few places that have nice staff who take the time.e to get to k know their customers. Sionhan your a credit to the business and to yourself. I will be back next week

Date of visit: January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and the great comments - we will pass on your great feedback to Sionhan. Hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2020 via mobile

The city center was very busy when my boyfriend and I decided to head for lunch and we were lucky and didn’t need to wait on a table for Fish City. And shortly after we were seated there was a big queue for a table. The menu showed a really great choice and we finally decided for a squid starter to share and a medium fish & chips and seafood linguine for main. The server was helpful. The starter came out after 5 minutes and was very delicious. Once our table was cleared we unfortunately had to wait about 35 minutes on our mains but when it arrived it was worth the wait. Everything was very delicious. Can definitely recommend.

Date of visit: January 2020

Thank you for the review and for all the positive feedback - apologies for the wait on the mains. Hope you will visit again soon!

Reviewed 3 January 2020

I called in here with my family as it was recommended by a friend, it was busy but got seated quite quickly I got the famous fish and chips and it really was the best I have ever had. The batter was made to perfection My daughter got a lingine which looked amazing.I will definitely be back. The place was spotless and the service was unbelievable. This is now my go to place.

1  Thank Shannon9876543

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review and for sharing all the great feedback - look forward to welcoming you on your return visit!

Reviewed 2 January 2020

Having been previously told that the food from the takeaway portion of the restaurant was really nice, my friends and I decided to try out the restaurant. Prior to getting a table, we checked with the manager that the portion of chips in the restaurant was big and she confirmed they were..

We were seated upstairs which has an entirely different look to the downstairs; tables close together, blu-tac on the walls etc. When it came to ordering our food, one member of our party asked for a large portion of chips which the response from the waiter was that 'it's not possible, we do a standard size', we pointed out that the manager told us larger portions are doable. We ordered drinks at the same time as the food and the food arrived 20 minutes later and still no drinks - we had to ask twice for our drinks! The food was okay, the fish and chips were sub-par, the burger was the driest burger the person had eaten, chicken wings lacked sauce and weren't very crisp. In addition to that, people who had arrived after us had received their food and drink before us.

When it came to pay for the bill, the manager asked how things were and we informed her of our disappointment about everything from the food to the wait times and all she could say was that she was very sorry. Other restaurants when similar has happened have offered discounts on meals or have the drinks be free, none of this was offered. The food is also overpriced. I wouldn't recommend people going if they are in Belfast.

Date of visit: December 2019