“reliably good restaurant with relaxing atmosphere and no attitude”
Review of Deanes Restaurant

Deanes Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 1,088 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Golden Mile
Reviewed 22 May 2014

First things first....a decent restaurant which serves tap water graciously......and from a chilled glass bottle, left at the table and refreshed throughout.. A decent wine list, with drinkable 500 ml malbec at 17 quid. AN utterly good set lunch menu, two courses for 6 or 7 quid.....ridiculously economic in value and for this reason much loved by two nearby pensioners.... Go a la carte, and a respectable, well chosen, menu offers lots of dishes with locally sourced produce. A pea and ham soup was sensationally good, served alongside a wheaten muffin and some melting butter. A small arrangement of lamb cuts cooked to melting, enjellied with herby suckability, let down only by a slightly loud polenta, raised the roof of my mouth. And this dish was 17 quid too....Atmosphere is relaxed, service is right side of unobtrusive, staff friendly and quietly efficient. Ambience created by the light and view from floor to ceiling windows along its façade. The spacing between tables is generous enough to afford privacy and wise enough to permit eavesdropping.
Loos are happily excellent.

Why not five out of five? I tasted five dishes, two were excellent, three were good. Hence the score.

What a local treasure.

There are newer reviews for Deanes Restaurant

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Haven't been in Deanes main restaurant for approx a year, went last night and from moment we walked in to moment we walked out I really cannot fault the service, food or any part of this restaurant. We were greeted warmly (arrived 20 mins early and escorted to bar part of seafood restaurant) I must say all of the staff are a credit, professional and polite - just what should be expected at all restaurants !? I couldn't believe how fantastic the renovations were and expansion was brilliant - 3 restaurants now, meat locker, love fish & Eipic (high end fine dining) all restaurants linked by doorways all completely different in colour and decor but you can see no expense has been spared! Spotless and fantastic ambience. We were led to our table 7.30 on the dot and looked after brilliantly, the food was immaculate, everything tasty, hot and fresh. I had few cosmopolitans which arrived promptly each time ordered and were delicious. Again, Michael well done and thank you for giving us somewhere to recommend for anyone visiting Belfast

1  Thank MissGam
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Very nice experience and very very tasty food, with great flavors. I got the sausage salad and it was amazing. I loved every minute of it. I have to admit I was still a little hungry so we got chips to share as well. We went for lunch so this was cheaper than going for dinner, it was only £10.

1  Thank Saoirse W
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Ate at the Meat Locker last night Delicious oysters followed by the best lamb I have ever eaten. It was cooked perfectly and had so much flavour. Whilst not the cheapest restaurant in Belfast, I thought it was good value for the quality of the food. Service was also good - efficient, professional and friendly. Will look forward to going back when I'm next in Belfast.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Recommended by a friend, we pre-booked Dean's Meat Locker as it was a Bank holiday weekend in the Republic. Was really looking forward to it and luckily the experience exceeded our expectations. Having arrived in Belfast most people seemed to know about Dean's and it's reputation. From the service to the food the experience was brilliant.

Greeted at the door we were told our table was not ready, we joined the bar with a huge range of cocktails. Service there was slow (we were ignored for 5 minutes even though there was nobody else ordering) but it was a busy night. Soon after we were escorted to a great table near the kitchen where we could take in the atmosphere and bustle from the kitchen. We also had a great view of the 'meat-locker' which enhanced the purity of how the meat is sourced and prepared. We started with oysters and a scallops plate, both stunning. We chose a superb bottle of Red from South Africa, then for main we each had the beef fillet and rump steak cooked (med-rare) to perfection, served simply with sauce jug, a single giant mushroom and chips. I have been to Argentina, great steak houses in US, and Europe and this steak was right up there. If your into meat you won't be disappointed. This place looks and feels upmarket but the price is not extortionate. Great place to bring a date or family occasion. I would certainly return, if i could go back tonight i would!! We even got to meet Michael Dean himself and get a photo! We finished off the night with coffee, desert wine - served with macaroons. A perfect night.

1  Thank ClaraPLD